Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #31
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
I had an ST for a while and never should have traded it in. I got an RS for a little bit more creature comfort. That said the ST was a fantastic bike. I loved the looks (yea I know I'm weird) and the handling. I don't think you would go wrong with one.

I would say go for it. You don't see one on the road every day.

Marc
What kind of windshield is that, and how did you like it?
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #32
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
Here you go.

Why did BMW boot the R1200ST you ask?

The buyers ran away from it. Can you blame them? There was no reason for BMW to put so much effort into making it this ugly. It had to fail.
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #33
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
Easy. No one bought it.
The red ones were crash prone.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #34
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
But it didn't sell well (to Americans).
I think you'll find that the damned things sold better in the US than anywhere else in the world and that's why it actually remained on sale much longer than it ever should have.
Quote:
Americans are a funny lot, we either want all the bling of conspicuous consumption (full-on touring w/farkles), or we go the 'cheap' route and try to make the bike what it isn't. It's what we do.
Can you really generalise so much about the melting pot of nations....?
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #35
NobbyV4
Riding in the UK

Oddometer: 5
I had an 2005 ST for two years and 30,000 miles. (I bought it with 3 k on) Part ex'd at 33k
My first BMW and boxer. It was a perfectly fine bike, did all I asked of it with ease.
Although a little weird looking at first I got used to it in the flesh and that light was extremly good.

Reason I sold it for an RT?

It was a bit choppy on the suspension.
The riding position was to far forward for me really, it was a little slap happily put together IMO. And I wanted more weather wind protection.

The RT ticks all the boxes I wanted to modify on the ST.

One thing, while I was in Spain and the bike clicked over 30,000 miles, one day it suddenly took off like a rocket, the engine smoothed out and pulled really well. So another 18k on my RT and I'll hopefully have the same affect.

hth
\v/ (UK)

NobbyV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #36
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
"so what if it's fugly?"

BMW riders are very image concious. If it's going to be fugly, it better be a GS- The VW Thing of BMW Motorcycles. Otherwise, it better have that cool sophistication people expect from BMW cars and bikes.

Their price point doesn't include people who will take it if they can just get financed. The majority have enough of an artistic vocabulary to be able to hold aesthetics accountable in a purchase decision.

I'd hate to have had one of those on the floor and try to sell it for anything but a bargain basement bike.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #37
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,060
Most dealers did not know how to sell the ST, some dealers in the US did very well with it. My ST is an amazing bike, it has run 147 on the Bonneville salt flats, will hit the revlimiter in 6th with ease, (151-152 indicated) has doubtless the best wind management in the industry. You can't tell when you are riding into a strong head wind, will cruise effortlessly all day at 130 handling is amazing, the headlights are unbeliveable.

Mine was the first one sold in the USA
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #38
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingbear
love my gs.. but facing another knee op..
So not flat footing is a big concern.

ST /RT I can pretty much flat foot.

Love riding my R1100RS.. figure it would be just like the RS
with more power.
Hey, just had bi-lateral knee replacement in August and I'm back on my K1200R, no problems. By the way, I love the headlight treatment on this bike.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #39
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,060
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #40
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW
Most dealers did not know how to sell the ST, some dealers in the US did very well with it. My ST is an amazing bike, it has run 147 on the Bonneville salt flats, will hit the revlimiter in 6th with ease, (151-152 indicated) has doubtless the best wind management in the industry. You can't tell when you are riding into a strong head wind, will cruise effortlessly all day at 130 handling is amazing, the headlights are unbeliveable.

Hey Dean,
You forgot to mention that it's light, has a low CG, gets great gas millage, and has a long range between fill ups. The only short comming I found, is that it's not the best for 2 up all day in the saddle rides. (My little princess seeks something more luxurious)
Often great all 'round bikes don't sell well, because people buy bikes to "pose."
Thers biker posers, ADV posers, racers posers, iron butt posers... The ST doesn't pretend to be anything, and that's why it didn't seem to sell well. (But they did get snatched up fast around here?)
I rode past a city cop on an RTP the other day, you should have seen his "double take." Whether you like the looks or not, they are attention grabbers. Everywhere I go, people have never seen it before.

Look, that's beautiful!
Old 11-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #41
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW

Just out of curiosity, what were the dealers doing wrong in their sales approach.

I'm curious because you're a dealer (I assume) and should have more than an anecdotal set of ideas behind this.

I don't think there's any argument about the mill or driveline. It's mostly a question of looks.

Also: "best wind management in the industry"
You really think so?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #42
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven
Just out of curiosity, what were the dealers doing wrong in their sales approach.

I'm curious because you're a dealer (I assume) and should have more than an anecdotal set of ideas behind this.

I don't think there's any argument about the mill or driveline. It's mostly a question of looks.

You really think so?
Dean work?

He's a bon vivant with a penchant for greasy road food and bugs in his teeth.

He's a long time MOA muckity muck who knows his stuff.

He's a lot of fun, and will embarass everyone in the group at some point.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #43
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven

You really think so?
By ""best wind management in the industry" I believe he's referring to the way the bike cuts through the air. Even though it's much lighter than an RT, it's more stable in cross winds.
But actually the more I think about it, I believe pricing was the big ST killer. For a few dollars more, you could buy an RT, which would be a better value for touring. But if you like going around corners, the ST is the bike to have.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:12 AM   #44
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,785
I wish still had mine. I gave up on it too early. I loved it, but, it was killing my elbow(medical issue). I need a bit more upright riding postion than the ST afforded. I rode mine everyday. I should have kept it and put on the superbike kit, but the grass is greener...etc. I'm such a dumbass.

Everytime I'm at Dean's house and see his ST I want to curl up in a fetal postion and cry. I have hundreds of thousands of miles on RS's and the ST WAS the motorcycle BMW built for me. Thanks for opening that wound up again .

Dean, I get first dibs on your ST when you sell it right?
Jamming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #45
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Looks did not kill the R-RS series; that series was one of BMW's worst sellers in the US after the initial love affair wore off with that model in the mid 90's. The R1100RS stopped selling as did the R1150RS and the R1200RS was doomed before it ever hit the show room floors.

If folks wanted to tour they got the RT and if they wanted sport they had sporty K and R choices.

I'm one of those in the minority in the US, I like sporty, smaller touring bikes like the RS. As a matter of fact, with the peg and bar changes I've made to my VFR, if you close your eyes you would not know if you were on a R-RS or a VFR.

Sad really, I still miss my R1100RS. I loved my test ride on the R1200RS and may still pick up a used one some day. Bob's has a nice one for sale right now
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote