Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #46
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,060
Rog, you are welcome to ride it anytime that you want.

What most dealers did was to immediately agree that the front was "ugly" and immediately tried to switch the potential buyer to something else while reinforcing the buyers impression that it was ugly. The motorcycle buying experience is a very emotional one and the salesmans task is to point out the attributes of the ST of which there are many. I would suggest that the R1200ST is doubtless the best sports tourer that was available at the time. The handling in the hi speed sweepers is fantastic. I have humbled many a sport bike riders up here in the mountains.

I was a BMW dealer at one time, founder of San Jose BMW, my very good friend and then service mgr right out of college Chris Hodgson is now the owner.

This is the day I picked it up at San Jose BMW.

Looking for John Wayne in northern Arizona.

On a two or three week tour all over the west.

That same tour just before my Bonneville run.

Hannagan Meadow near Alpine, Az.

www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #47
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
Thanks Dean. Always nice to have a different perspective.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #48
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW
Rog, you are welcome to ride it anytime that you want.
Thanks Dean. You know with the snow getting ready to fly in Show Low, you could always leave the ST in my garage down in the warm valley .

I'd ah, you know, keep her loose for you, during the winter months.
AND, I'd be sure she had a fresh tune for the summer for you .
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #49
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,897
The ST's looks didn't bother me. I just thought its ergonomics were too sporty for a sport-tourer. Not a lot of legroom and a pretty forward leaning position. In fact, I found it less comfortable than the K1200S.

I think BMW would have sold more if they had made the ergonomics similar to the R1100RS — more legroom and higher bars.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #50
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
The ST's looks didn't bother me. I just thought its ergonomics were too sporty for a sport-tourer. Not a lot of legroom and a pretty forward leaning position. In fact, I found it less comfortable than the K1200S.

I think BMW would have sold more if they had made the ergonomics similar to the R1100RS — more legroom and higher bars.
Agreed and that was with the bars in the standard position at the top of their travel. The fact that BMW made them adjustable downwards from that position was incomprehensible; especially on a motorcycle which in other respects was quite redolent of the "old" BMW at a time when they were otherwise introducing more "youthful" and exciting models.

It was a motorcycle in search of an identity - a conservative sports tourer with a riding position which could only be made even more radical, dressed in a set of dowdy clothes. If they'd fitted it with some higher bars, a high-level exhaust can and perhaps some longer legs it would have been a fine competitor for the Multistrada; albeit positioned rather too close to the GS for comfort.
Attached Images

Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #51
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Can someone who's ridden both an F800ST and an R1200ST comment how the the bars and pegs are positioned differently between the two. The F800ST bars work great for me, but the pegs are higher than I'd like.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #52
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lujo
Can someone who's ridden both an F800ST and an R1200ST comment how the the bars and pegs are positioned differently between the two. The F800ST bars work great for me, but the pegs are higher than I'd like.
I didn't actually ride an F800ST, but I did sit on one, and it seemed to me the bars were back more, closer to the rider. I raised the bars on my R1200ST, (I just moved the clip-ons above the triple clamp) and now they are higher but farther forward. But with the R1200ST there's all kinds of different bar risers available too.
I'd like to try these http://www.convertibars.com/ some day. I've read good things about them.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:45 AM   #53
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy
I didn't actually ride an F800ST, but I did sit on one, and it seemed to me the bars were back more, closer to the rider. I raised the bars on my R1200ST, (I just moved the clip-ons above the triple clamp) and now they are higher but farther forward. But with the R1200ST there's all kinds of different bar risers available too.
I'd like to try these http://www.convertibars.com/ some day. I've read good things about them.
Just curious, how are they farther forward? The angle of the fork tubes would make them come back, if just a bit.

Did you use a kit, or just the clamping force of the bar clamps. Did it need a new brake line?

Thanks,

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #54
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Just curious, how are they farther forward? The angle of the fork tubes would make them come back, if just a bit.

Did you use a kit, or just the clamping force of the bar clamps. Did it need a new brake line?

Thanks,

Jim
Yeah, it's real hard to tell because I just sat on an F800ST, but the bars seemed closer to the rider? I wasn't jumping back and forth between bikes, so I can't say for sure. Or maybe the F800ST seat is farther forward?

I had to get a longer throttle cable, (from an '07 R1200R) and I made a custom bracket where the "hard" brake lines meet the "braided" brake lines. I was able to move that mount up about 1/4 of an inch, and that gave me enough slack for the braided lines. I don't have the location pin like the MV kit, (So yeah, I'm just using the clamping force) but I don't think the clip-ons are going anywhere. (And if they are I have bigger problems!) But it all only cost me $70 for the R1200R throttle cable, instead of $300 (Or more) for the MV kit.

Thanks for your fine DVD Jim, that's helped me immensely!

BanjoBoy screwed with this post 11-16-2009 at 06:40 AM
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #55
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy
Yeah, it's real hard to tell because I just sat on an F800ST, but the bars seemed closer to the rider? I wasn't jumping back and forth between bikes, so I can't say for sure. Or maybe the F800ST seat is farther forward?

I had to get a longer throttle cable, (from an '07 R1200R) and I made a custom bracket where the "hard" brake lines meet the "braided" brake lines. I was able to move that mount up about 1/4 of an inch, and that gave me enough slack for the braided lines. I don't have the location pin like the MV kit, (So yeah, I'm just using the clamping force) but I don't think the clip-ons are going anywhere. (And if they are I have bigger problems!) But it all only cost me $70 for the R1200R throttle cable, instead of $300 (Or more) for the MV kit.

Thanks for your fine DVD Jim, that's helped me immensely!
Great info! I was thinking about doing the same as you, but possibly drilling and tapping a hole for a bolt on each side where the locator pins would be. The brake line info is invaluable!

Looks like you need new grips. Have you considered R1150 non-heated grip replacements. Cut off the old grip carefully not damaging the elements, then add the new ones over the elements with hairspray as a lube. OR, you can use 1.5" heat shrink in two layers. Worked great on the GS.

Jim

PS Glad the DVD was useful to you!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #56
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Great info! I was thinking about doing the same as you, but possibly drilling and tapping a hole for a bolt on each side where the locator pins would be. The brake line info is invaluable! Ahhh, geee shucks Jim, knowing I could help you makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!
I toyed with the idea of drilling locator holes too, but why? Now if I get a lager wind screen, I can turn the clip-ons in a little to accommodate that. Try this method, and you can always add holes down the road. But if you or the next owner wants to do something different, then you have holes in the top triple clamp.
The guy who owned my bike before me, mounted a GPS on top of the tank, and now I have 5 holes there. (You can see 'em in the picture) It doesn't bother me, (I always have a tank bag on) but I've been trying to sell the bike, and prospective buyers make a fuss about it. (Guess I shoulda made a fuss when I bought the thing?)

Looks like you need new grips. Have you considered R1150 non-heated grip replacements. Cut off the old grip carefully not damaging the elements, then add the new ones over the elements with hairspray as a lube. OR, you can use 1.5" heat shrink in two layers. Worked great on the GS. I may have to try that. Even though those grips look worn, they seem to work fine.

Jim

PS Glad the DVD was useful to you! The DVD was invaluable to me. After using your cool method for adjusting the valves, my bike is even smoother than the last valve/end plate adjustment. By swinging the Allen wrench, (The JVB method) you get a very consistent "feel" from side to side.
I see the "experts" over at "Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood" don't seem to agree though. Piss on the arrogant bastards!
Your way totally rocks! I'm like you, I just have some cobby old feeler gauges snipped down that work just fine.
My $0.02
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #57
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Hey ST experts:

Just brought my "new" ST home the other day.

What's the easiest way to find the secret power lead under the fuel tank that's supposed to be for the GPS. I need it to power my radar detector, but can't find it.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #58
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
Didn't sell, people didn't get the weird looking. IMHO it's the best looking bike BMW produced with that 1200cc engine.

people didn't like the Sport and the Touring factor. they prefered to buy a RT or a S.anyway if you find one it's a keeper

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #59
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,832
I thought it was kind of cool looking.
But, then, looks are always subjective, aren't they?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #60
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,634
I liked it, just couldn't afford it at the time. I found a used one about a year ago, but it looked like it had been rode hard and put up wet, so I passed on it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote