User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
kylehubenak OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
kickstart preload 87 honda xl250r

So I got this bike a few months ago with a broken countershaft and shattered case. I got a new case and shaft and put all back together and everything works great except the kickstart lever does not return back up after kicking it. I've been riding it like this for a while now until head gasket started leaking so now that I've pulled it back apart I'd like some help on preloading the kickstart spring the right way. I was prerty sure I did what I was supose to do but I guess not. Can someone help me out? Maybe I didn't preload it enough? How many times should I go around to get the right amount of preload to allow kickstart lever to return back up? Really don't like when it starts and I have to quickly pull lever back up or else I hear the gears grinding. Thanks in advance guys.
kylehubenak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
kylehubenak OP
n00b

Anyone? I need to get this bike running again but want to make sure its done right this time
Old 06-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
I never had that model of 250 but I did work on its big brother, the XL600r...I had 4 of those over the years. When installing the kickstarter you had to hook the return spring and twist the start shaft somewhere between 90-180 degrees as it was inserted into the case. This was done by temporarily installing the kick lever to provide something to hold on to and apply the necessary torque. Once inserted into the case the kick shaft has a cam or pawl that prevented the shaft rotating forward, so the preload on here spring was maintained.

Your bike probably has a similar mechanism- there should be sufficient tension on the shaft to lift the lever back into position- if the amount of twist you applied to the shaft when you installed it is not working add one turn and try again. You should be able to test the return force without reinstalling the case cover.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
kylehubenak OP
n00b

Ok I think that's the problem, I need to get another turn on it. Thanks bud