Oddometer: 91
I'm enjoying this...

2008 Roketa 50
Minnesota Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #33
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
The stator/cover should be arriving today, so I can begin to get an idea of how to go about mounting that later this evening.

As for the throttle bodies, I'll be cutting the one in half, and using the cable mounting and pivot arm bits from the CL350 carbs to actuate each throttle, instead of having to worry about extending the pivot arm. There's also the option of just cutting the fuel rail and welding nipples onto each side so that I can run some hose between, cutting this to length. I'll need to figure out some brackets to hold the now loose end of each individual rail down, but this shouldn't be too bad.
toplessFC3Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #34
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Been a few days and I haven't had too much time to work on it. I got the throttle bodies cut in half, and figured out the mounting for the cable pulls, throttle position sensor, and importantly for the throttle bodies to the engine itself. Through some trimming of the stock CBR couplers and the original CL mounts, it looks like I can get a good seal and solid mounting, and still have the injectors pointed straight into the intake ports to hit the valves. The most difficult bit at this point for the throttle bodies will be chopping and modifying the fuel rail to route it around the frame.

I haven't pulled the old stator/rotor yet, so I don't really have anything to report on that front as of now.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:02 AM   #35
SOS
Ignorance is a gift

Oddometer: 707
Very Cool
SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #36
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

The throttle bodies are pretty much done, I just have to clean them up a little. The fuel rail is re-welded to go around the frame rail, and all of the cable pulls are taken care of now.

I'll get some pictures later when I mock it up on the bike.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #37
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,269
[quote=toplessFC3Sman..I've worked on the F4i as part of FSAE).

[/quote]

What team were you on? I was UIUC in 2004. My part of the project was actually intake and exhaust. Very fun and I learned a lot.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #38
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

I helped to start the team at Cooper Union (small school in Manhattan; www.coopermotorsports.org), and was president for the car built for the 2007 competition. Quite the experience... we only had 4-5 people putting in lots of work on it, so I got to do intake design, engine management, suspension design and chassis design, as well as a lot of fabrication and the management/fundraising stuff

Looks like I'll be getting started on the mechanical side of the restoration sooner than I anticipated. I just got a call from the landlord saying that they didnt approve of a motorcycle on my balcony, so it's time to reduce the motorcycle to something that no longer appears that way. Maybe a nice matching set of engine and frame porch chairs, a table made of stacked wheels etc as a way of "storing" the bike.

Yay management
Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #39
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,328
VERY cool project. Tough problems. My only advice is to completely ignore the electrical problem for now and keep your eye on the FI ball. You can worry about practical considerations of having enough juice later. You may decide to just put a huge battery on the mother for now.

I'm cheering for you.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #40
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
+1

I just picked up a stator/rotor combo from an f4i and it looks very manageable to get the rotor and stator mounted without having to do anything TOO crazy.

Keep your eye on the prize and everything (apt management included) will be worth it when she fires up.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #41
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

The FI hardware and wiring is actually the part i'm least concerned about. The biggest challenge hardware-wise at this point is going to be mounting the crank angle sensor and wheel, and getting a head temperature sensor for an air-cooled engine/figuring out its resistance curve. All of the wiring and modification of the engine controller is going to wait until december, since i'm going to buy the old CBR wiring harness and possibly an old Megasquirt engine controller off of my former FSAE team around thanksgiving.

Tuning and providing enough power reliably will probably be the biggest challenges, and I can certainly get to work on the alternator side of it (as well as general bike restoration) right now, instead of waiting for a month to pick up those other components.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #42
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessFC3Sman
Looks like I'll be getting started on the mechanical side of the restoration sooner than I anticipated. I just got a call from the landlord saying that they didnt approve of a motorcycle on my balcony, ...
Why do you think they put linoleum in those kitchens?
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #43
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

oh, the gf would loooooove that
Old 11-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #44
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 943
I'm in for this mod!

Subscribed!

This looks interesting. I am OK with messing with carbs, and I have enough in CB 350 engines and carbs to play with them over the winter (after the CX gets running).

As for the stator output the manual says my CB360 is 0.13kW @ 5000 r.p.m. (130 W). I am looking to reduce current on the bike so I can support a heated vest for winter riding. I already switch off the low beam headlight during the day and that saves 35 watts (upgraded the headlight to a 6024 sealed beam-big improvement in the light output). May have to run a 2nd sealed lead acid battery as a loss system for the vest and rotate/charge the units.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #45
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

The shop manual for the CL350 says that the maximum charging at 10k RPM is about 4 amps, and max at 5k RPM is 1.5 to 2.5 amps... if there was about 130W to play with, then I may hold off on the alternator, but with only about 55W, the stock 12AH battery isn't going to sustain it for long.

In other news, the throttle bodies are just about finished, with only a little grinding left to do to get them usable. They fit on the bike, and the fuel injectors are lined up pretty well with the valves. There's enough flexibility in the mounts that I'll probably need to make a bracket that will attach to the frame at the battery tray mounting bolts, but the throttle cable works well. I'll be able to route a rubber hose between the two fuel rails since the feed is on one side and the fuel pressure regulator/return is on the other. As for air filters, I should just be able to take a tube, mill a ring in it to seat an o-ring, and hold it in place with a couple bits of metal to the stock airbox mounting bolts on the throttle bodies, and then mount an appropriately sized filter over the end of that.

Now... for the pictures!