User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Idiot v. Motorbike Round 2. 850 Special "Eigo"

So a couple years ago, this was the scene as I got toward the end of the refurb with my Airhead:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville, in the "Ernst" thread
Yep, heard it bellow again today. Twice! I rolled it out to work on it, and the younger boy asked,

"Daddy, does it run?"

"Well, son, let me show you."

"VARROOMM!!"

Later, while I was filling the various drivetrain bits that get gear oil, my neighbor came over to yak a bit.

"Boy, it's looking really close. Does it run?"

"Funny you should ask."

"VARROOMM!"

I learned that this same neighbor had sold his old Yamaha 850 Triple. He'd mentioned it before, like this: "I've got this old Yamaha in the garage...." Usually, when someone says that about a VW they end up giving it to us and I was worried that I'd end up with a Yamaha to revive. Dodged that one!
And it has come to pass that I have not dodged that one. That one has come back to the neighborhood, just one house North of where it was before. Seems his buyer died after getting new tires and the carbs gone through. The widow offered it back to my neighbor, who then offered it to me. Muriel OKed the acquisition with my offer of "If it's not done by Labor Day, you can shop for a New Car." So I'm under some pressure to NOT have this bike cost me $20K! And at this point, all I'd ever seen of the bike was the taillight deep in the shadows of my neighbor's garage.

We went to the widow's house last Thursday, where the bike has sat outside these last couple years. I had a freshly charged battery and a modest set of tools. Feeling hopeful, I also had my gear. Rocked it around and realized there'd be no riding it home as the front brake was dragging and not releasing. Put the battery in and cranked it a bit, getting a couple *pops* as the battery ran down. Called my guy and made arrangements for a Saturday delivery.

Met my guy at the widow's. Took the two of us to push it into his trailer against that dragging brake. Once it was out of the trailer at my house, he asked, "Has Muriel seen it?"

"No."

"Then I'm leaving RIGHT NOW."

So here it is:

After a wash:

Ooohh! Midnight Blue!

So the plan here is to make it functional and looking good. I'll not be doing a chalk mark resto. If the motor comes out or apart, I'll have gone too far. I expect there will be a lot less chrome when I'm done. I like shiny, but chrome has a very hard time in my coastal environment.

Updates as they happen.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Looks like you'll be needing quite a supply of elbow grease! That's what happens to bikes parked outside here as well.
Some people would disagree but I find the '80s Yamaha Specials to be good looking bikes.
Good luck on this, I'll be watching.

Where behind the Redwood Curtain are you?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Brucifer, I'm just north of you.

GatorJane, not ready to do the rat thing.

After washing it and tucking it away Saturday:

I made some time on Sunday to get a good hot charge on the battery and have another go at it. I pulled the plugs and cleaned them. I squirted some oil in the bores and kicked it over a few times until the tight spot didn't feel so tight. I reinstalled the plugs and switched it on. Kicked a few more times and got a puff of smoke out the pipes, so I rolled it into the driveway so it would burn by itself and not take a bunch of stuff with it. Kicked a bit more and got the sweetest *pop* *pop* *pop*. Encouraged, one more good kick and VVRRrooommmmm. It died, of course, but I continued and eventually thought that this was a good idea:

Muriel, ably at the camera. She said later, "There's something about a guy who can kick a bike to life. I have plans for you." What she didn't see, and you, too are spared, is that the ride went just a couple houses down before it came to an lame end. Out of habit, I'd touched the front brake going down the driveway and it didn't release. I parked it a couple houses down and let it cool, then tried to ride it back, slipping the clutch in 1st gear. It did not have sufficient poop to both overcome the brake and get up the hill, so I had the boys help me push it back to the level bit of the driveway.

Went at the brake this morning. The left caliper freed up just fine, but the right one didn't budge, using this method:

That, and the master cylinder just kinda stays where you leave the lever. Rebuild kits ordered and should be back at it this weekend.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, tiny progress today. Got the hydraulic bits off the front. Rebuild kits should be here tomorrow.

As always, there's a chance I'll polish the bejeezus out of that master. But I'm confident the calipers will stay black.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not polishing the master. Did some detail painting instead:

Made a tool from an old banjo bolt:

I know you're asking, "Say, Mel, what are you going to do with that tool?"

Funny you should ask--here it is in the top hole of the caliper:

When calipers are stuck like this, I find compressed air a little scary, never knowing when the piston's going to fly out. Pumping grease moves it out a millimeter at a time.

Rebuild kits are here, and the front brake should be back in service this weekend.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
Mal S7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Good onya melville! The yamaha triples are worth preserving. I wish my neighbour would pester me to take one off their hands.

cheers
Mal
Mal S7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #7
c1skout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Nice tool, I was going to make one just like that for the Honda caliper that I just did, but when I put the grease gun on the bleeder screw it held just fine.
c1skout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
Mal S7
Adventurer

I am dreaming of this beautiful example of the japanese BMW

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-XS...-/111384678178

but the price is ...
Old 06-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Not much to report. Rear brake has been bled full of fresh fluid. Front brake is functional (not perfect yet) but the motor won't run for more than 10 seconds.

Carbs are coming off next for an internal cleaning. The right one has a stuck enrichener. Full rich, of course.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Carbs came off today! Not so easy as on the BMW, even though there's only one cable, not four.

Those of you familiar with my proclivities will know that those tops just won't do. Here is one, starting the process and the other as found:

More to come on that.

Pulled the bowls and was surprised to find roe in the bottom of the first one:

I've been pulling VWs out of the woods for 25 years and I've never quite seen that. Then I pulled the other two:

GAAAHHHH! No wonder it wouldn't run for more than 10 seconds!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
farmrjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Whoa, most impressive young Skywalker!
farmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #12
Mal S7
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post

Pulled the bowls and was surprised to find roe in the bottom of the first one:
Sea monkeys?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal S7 View Post
Sea monkeys?
That was my other thought!

Seriously, whatever was in there was evolving quickly. Good thing I got to it when Berryman B-12 carb cleaner could still kill it.

Rebuild kits ordered, and a new suggestion for carb cleaning that I might try. More to come.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

So when I ordered carb rebuild kits, my guy said, "I'm sure you know about this, but have you heard of cleaning carbs with coolant in a crock pot?" Being a VW guy, it took me a moment or two to realize he was speaking about liquid coolant. So I went to the thrift store, knowing better than to try this with Muriel's crock pot, and got me a nice vintage one. And to NAPA for some antifreeze. The process:

Carburetor stew:

I put the lid on and let it simmer overnight. The next day, I had this after a good rinse:

Not bad. But it may be time for me to get a ball burnishing kit.

Continuing the process with the outer carb tops:

That's a couple coats of rattle can primer and a tiny bit of wetsanding, then a couple coats of rattlecan black. Looks like crap from one foot away, but not bad at five feet.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #15
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Cool! I was aware of the Pine Sol method of cleaning carbs (which I use with great success) but never heard of the coolant/cooking method.