User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
mjydrafter OP
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,166
1979 Honda CM185 Twinstar

Howdy garage dwellers, I'm pulling my hair out working on a 1979 CM185T.

Background: it was running. Next day no start. I checked all the basics wiring, battery, point gap. No spark, so I figured it was the coil.

Got a new coil for it, new plugs, and went through all the electrical connections, even checked continuity on the main wires involved with the ignition. Still no start. Compression seems okay.

I have verified that the points are working as they should, and the condenser charges up (as much as I can test it with a basic meter). I have power at the coil. I even tore into the key switch just to see what the contacts look like (fine).

Still, no start. I have been using the kicker as the electric starter is not working.

Any ideas? This thing is really pissing me off.

Edit to add: the bike is a 6volt system. And the kill switch is not even hooked up (bodged to run only).
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,316
Have you verified after all that work there is still no spark? Is the plug wire new or old? Make sure you check when kicking it over with the plug out BTW.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
mjydrafter OP
evil boy for life

The new coil had wires built in (whoever came up with non-replaceable spark plug wires should be run out of town on a rail).

I 86'd the resistor caps in lieu of some regular spark plug terminals and boots.

I have spark finally, but I'm thinking the key/ignition switch is causing problems. I tore it apart (again) and cleaned the contacts, but it's still a bit "weird". But it seems to be working okay, but not like when I jumper the red (+) to black. What the switch is doing, but without the switch.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
Old 04-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
mjydrafter OP
evil boy for life

I don't know exactly what I did (other than cleaning every electrical connector on the bike... twice), but it ran today. I even took it for a short jaunt up the street.

I started it with the coil hooked directly to the battery, via a fused & switched wire. Once it was running I removed that and hooked up the regular wiring and it ran as well.

The problem seems to be the ignition/key switch, it loses ~1volt going through that. It's pretty clean on the inside, so I don't know why, but that's what's happening, even jiggling the switch doesn't seem to help much.

I'm waiting for it to cool completely, so I can test it on a cold start, but I'm happy it ran.

On a 12 volt bike I would run a relay system to power the coil, but I'm not sure about finding a 6v automotive relay. I would really rather do that than run a separate switch & wire. I will let the owner decide on that.

The only thing not working properly right now are the brake lights. hopefully that will be easy enough, once I get the front brake cable un-stuck and re-lubed.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:12 AM   #5
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 966
I have fond memories of my CM185.
I sold mine and have regrets. I had made mine into a 'John Deere' bike.
Simba

simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote