ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #1786
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever
 
rtwdoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Alabamski Oblast, Redneckistan
Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Do you have to worry about installing hardened valve seats, using unleaded gas, on something like a '28?

Would running full-synthetic oils be worthwhile, to help preserve internals?
a few drops of marvel mystery oil in a tank fulla gas takes care of the crappy gas.

it lasted this long on real oil, I'm gonna keep running it
__________________
Buy a tshirt to help support my 2014 Cannonball entry HERE

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #1787
indianscout
Dexter
 
indianscout's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Minnesota
Oddometer: 617
Looking good Doug, will be following along with you on the Cannonball via confusor. Your 101 should have no problems making that run and then some. Kuto's on you for riding it to and from the start and finish instead of hauling it. What type of tires do you plan on using? You using a lead additive in your gas?
indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #1788
Lee 303
razryadka
 
Lee 303's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: pioneer valley
Oddometer: 52
Trophy at Indian Display of Springfield Museum



Hi Doug
Went down to the Springfield Mass. Museum. I heard they a had nice array of bikes. This Award was among a display of other treasures.When I saw it I thought about your trip. Imagine Russian roads in 1925 on a hardtail.
Lee 303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #1789
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
That looks cool! It's sorta' like showing the hidden treasure. Or, call it patina.

You never know, but, the original painter or bikers from that era may recognize it, while you're out and about on it.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #1790
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever
 
rtwdoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Alabamski Oblast, Redneckistan
Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianscout View Post
Looking good Doug, will be following along with you on the Cannonball via confusor. Your 101 should have no problems making that run and then some. Kuto's on you for riding it to and from the start and finish instead of hauling it. What type of tires do you plan on using? You using a lead additive in your gas?
its got the avon roadrunners I put on it when I got it in the 90's. they should make it ok.

Its funny, as when I was talkin to another CB'er, & he said 'no chase truck? how will you carry spare tires?'

I asked him how many tires he thought he would wear out in 3500 miles?
__________________
Buy a tshirt to help support my 2014 Cannonball entry HERE

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #1791
knybanjo
kinda slow
 
knybanjo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: out in the clover patch
Oddometer: 23,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That looks cool! It's sorta' like showing the hidden treasure. Or, call it patina.

You never know, but, the original painter or bikers from that era may recognize it, while you're out and about on it.


That's the part that I would be afraid of!
__________________
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #1792
lemieuxmc
Banned
 
lemieuxmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: East La Jolla... it's just Clairemont!!
Oddometer: 3,360
Hey Doug!

I love the paint on that Norton tank! Hell, I think you should keep it like that and find another tank to paint all original like.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #1793
indianscout
Dexter
 
indianscout's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Minnesota
Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
its got the avon roadrunners I put on it when I got it in the 90's. they should make it ok.

Its funny, as when I was talkin to another CB'er, & he said 'no chase truck? how will you carry spare tires?'

I asked him how many tires he thought he would wear out in 3500 miles?


Ya, well you know how some of these guys can be with their old bikes. If the tire even looks dirty you have to change it due to safety reasons. Been using Avons on my 40 SS with no problems, over 15k on this last set so far so think your right about using what you have on now. I think they should all skip the chase truck and really make things interesting!
indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #1794
indianscout
Dexter
 
indianscout's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Minnesota
Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Would running full-synthetic oils be worthwhile, to help preserve internals?

With the porous aluminum cases synthetic oil will pass through the aluminum like water through a sponge. Most of the old stuff runs 40w or 50w oil to prevent this from happening along with the fact that some of the real old bikes run on a continuous loss system.
indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #1795
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever
 
rtwdoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Alabamski Oblast, Redneckistan
Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianscout View Post
along with the fact that some of the real old bikes run on a continuous loss system.
I prefer to call it 'Constant Fresh'
__________________
Buy a tshirt to help support my 2014 Cannonball entry HERE

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #1796
indianscout
Dexter
 
indianscout's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Minnesota
Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
I prefer to call it 'Constant Fresh'


I like that........
indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #1797
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,751

Sounds so rejuvenating.


__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #1798
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianscout View Post
With the porous aluminum cases synthetic oil will pass through the aluminum like water through a sponge. Most of the old stuff runs 40w or 50w oil to prevent this from happening along with the fact that some of the real old bikes run on a continuous loss system.
Oh, didn't know that.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #1799
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post

I'll probably leave it alone for a little while tho, just to piss off the norton guys.
Well, that's the main thing.

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #1800
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer
 
bk brkr baker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: The Bluegrass
Oddometer: 5,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
I'll be putting about 8k miles on it.

Yes, the CB is only about 3500 miles, but its about 1000 from here to the start in NY, then 2500 or so from the finish in San Francisco to get back home.





Raising the bar for the rest, Doug , you have style !
__________________
RR's Catnip Hill to Peoria ___Loopin' Seattle to WestFest
It started with some beers __1500 miles to the Dentist
Skeedaddle to Seattle______ A 30 year old on a Three Flags Run
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014