Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #1816
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,320
[QUOTE=rtwdoug;18128699]Oh, and I drug home a new shop truck this weekend. Its a 52 model. I put about 20 miles on it today, its more fun than a trunk full of dead whores![QUOTE]

Yep, they are a blast. I had one when I was a senior in high school back in '64. I'd seen it sitting beside a farmhouse for a couple of years and stopped one day to ask if he wanted to sell it. When he said yes and I asked if it ran, he produced a six volt trickle charger and a half gallon of stale gas. It fired up with about six kicks. Terribly noisy and smoked like hell, but it did run. A buddy and I paid $175 for it. Can't remember it's exact year, but it was from sometime in the 40s.

When we pulled the motor apart, the rings were almost completely gone and the back piston was in three pieces. Rebuilt it with parts from an old junker and it ran just fine. The box was rusted all to pieces, so I built a flatbed for it with fancy scalloped sideboards and repainted the whole thing. It was very cool.

Another neat thing about that bike was that it still had the original tow bar on it. Those were already fairly hard to find even in '64 and we sold it for $150.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #1817
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
Oh, and I drug home a new shop truck this weekend. Its a 52 model. I put about 20 miles on it today, its more fun than a trunk full of dead whores!

Hmmm. turn the hinges around on the box and install a rumble seat. Waaay fun.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #1818
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,598
Back in '10 I picked up this leftover military Dnepr in Bulgaria. It was new, 0km, but the motor is stuck from sitting for 25 years or so. This summer, I plan to get it on the road over there.

I got some parts for it in Kiev this past summer, but then as I am tired of tripping over this sporty motor here in my garage......

I can make it fit.......

So Im going to ship it over there & build the first harley powered dnepr!

Of course people will ask why? but... why not?

next winter I want to ride to the Taurentreffen, its a bike meeting in january, in the Austrian Alps. Harder to fall down in the snow with a sidecar!

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #1819
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,889
Hey Doug, I've seen where folks have been getting hammered by the storms and tornadoes near your area. Glad to see you online and apparently OK.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #1820
Dakota62
Prime of Senility

Oddometer: 56
Putting an American Sporty motor in a Dnepr (read; Russian BMW copy) pisses off so many people on so many continents, Pure genius. Stalin has not only rolled over in his grave but now Doug is going to use his arse crack as a motorcycle stand.
Dakota62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #1821
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 437
"Of course people will ask why? but... why not? "

Doug, don't worry about the folks who ask WHY? If one must ask, they will never get it. No matter how much time or how many explanations you give them.

Most everybody who follows your thread already knows this and have no need in asking WHY.

Cheers from the sandy part of the State

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #1822
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota62 View Post
Putting an American Sporty motor in a Dnepr (read; Russian BMW copy) pisses off so many people on so many continents, Pure genius. Stalin has not only rolled over in his grave but now Doug is going to use his arse crack as a motorcycle stand.

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #1823
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post

I got some parts for it in Kiev this past summer, but then as I am tired of tripping over this sporty motor here in my garage......

I can make it fit.......

So Im going to ship it over there & build the first harley powered dnepr!
That will be something to see. You gonna mount the motor sideways and flip the swing arm around?

p.s.: Nice fix on the head.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #1824
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
I'd be worried about the final drive. It is based on a BMW design you know.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #1825
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
Ahh yes, but maybe it will be the only chain drive Dnepr in the world as well as the only Harley powered one. I know that Doug seems to like doing things the hard way but marrying a Harley engine to a Dnepr gearbox and transmission might be a step too far unless he's got a driven sidecar wheel off the Dnepr FD. That would warrant the extra work to use the Russian tranny.
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #1826
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I'll upgrade it to a harley final drive. to fix it, I'll need to carry a spare master link

www.motosapiens.org

Old 03-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #1827
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

This past weekend, I outpicked the pickers!
Ever since they moved south, I was worried they would find all the good deals. They do have better advertising than I do......

Saturday I ran into this old guy that I sort of know. I had heard that he had a pile of old stuff, but had not been to visit him. ( I bought a pile from his brother a few years ago) We were talking, & he mentioned having some Indian 101 stuff, and I've been looking for some spares, so I went to tennessee to see what he had.
He told me that the pickers had come to see him, they heard about him thru another guy. He didnt want them to come, but they kept calling. finally he agreed, but said no cameras allowed.
On the day they were coming, he decided he didnt want to deal with them, and left, told his friend to hang out & let em look around.
This guy has buildings full of stuff. old bikes, old cars, & parts everywhere. on the floors, hanging from the rafters, & shelves crammed with stuff.
Lots of old scooters from the 40's & 50's. Indians, BSA's, etc.
it was like a buffet of cool old stuff. I was in heaven!
So, the 'experts' looked around, and called him to ask about 1 old bike (rusty NSU) & a clock. 2 pieces! out of all that stuff! So he gave em a fair price (which actually was less than what the clock itself is worth, its an old BSA dealer clock) they offered him less, he said no, and then hung up

So I get there. The 101 stuff is scattered in the floor of a garage. I go to diggin, & find alot of stuff. I ended up getting that stuff, 3 other bikes, & a trailer. And I have to go back in the daytime & dig some more, as several buildings had no lights, & it was getting late. I was there for 5 hours. Not much of his stuff was for sale, but what was for sale, got sold.

When I go back, I will ask him if I can take some pics, as he has some REALLY cool stuff.

Oh, after the pickers left there, they stopped to visit his brother, who has a custom built (by him) motorcycle with a small 4 cylinder Crosley car motor (from the 40's) in it. its a cool bike, I have often thought about buying it, just because its so cool & well made. Well, when one of the 'experts' saw it, he said that he had seen another one of those bikes, but in 'unrestored' condition!
He told me that when they said that, he laughed at em, & told em he had things to do, it was time to leave!

Anyhow, I was really needing 2 parts for my 101, a generator drive tower, and a spare magneto to have rebuilt to carry along on the cannonball as a spare. Those 2 items were in the pile, as well as enough other spare parts to fix anything else that may go wrong (I hope!)

Doug

www.motosapiens.org

Old 03-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #1828
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,815
Whoa! Good for you, Doug. He have a '39 Norton buried in there, cause I know a guy...... So, the pickers maybe aren't as bright as they claim. Maybe they really thought that Chang-Jiang sidecar the owner claimed was an R71, was an R71!

Hope he lets you take some pictures, if not of the stuff maybe of him and his brother? What neat guys, I bet you had a blast hanging out with him.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #1829
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

oops, I forgot to post about the 39 Norton......

So Im at the IMS show in Minneapolis. Theres a sign on my table that I want a 39 Norton, & why. A guy named Jim comes up to me, & says 'I got what you need' and shows me a pic of an old model 18 norton on his phone.
The same exact bike Che & Alberto rode!
He's had it for years, and didnt figure he was going to get around to it anytime soon. Its baskety, but the main bits are there. We're talking about it, and I'm trying to figure how I'm gonna get it home (we flew up) another guy from ADV walks up, & were all talking. Turns out he lives 10 miles from Jim. I ask em that if I buy a case of beer, they could get together one afternoon, take it the rest of the way apart, box it up, & ship it fedex ground to me.
The other guy says 'well, I'm driving to Alabama tomorrow........'

So Jim & I went to his house, & took the bike apart so it would fit in the back of a small SUV.
My friend Chris met him on I-65 & loaded it in his truck, & brought it home. He stuck everything in the living room, much to the joy of Poly
(and its still sitting there, dont mention it to her, I think she has gotten used to stepping over it!)
So it was here a day before I got home!
Odd how things work out sometimes.......

I just need to find a generator, girder front fork, & fenders for it. Or another basketcase, so I can put the 2 of them together

I hope to rebuild it next winter.

www.motosapiens.org

Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #1830
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726

Kismet. You don't seem to go anywhere without it!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote