Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #91
Regbafazool
Gregarious Pariah

Oddometer: 597
rtwdoug said:

Quote:
new motor is a fresh 80" bonnie , with kiwi rods, bonnie cams & a little flow work done inside. I wanted a little more cruising speed on the hiway, & be able to do wheelies.
Sweeeeeet! Did you have to change the flywheels? I think it's Kiwi Mike who says you don't have to bother?

I'm going to be working on "stoppies" with my Chief! ..............

........that is, trying to get the thing to stop at all !!!
Regbafazool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #92
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 534
Hi Doug

I'm watching your stuff all the way from New Zealand - thoroughly enjoyed the travels on your chopper.

I'm recovering from major surgery so have plenty of time and you (along with other ADV posters) have kept me from going up the wall with boredom. Many thanks for that.

I drooled at your worksop with all that kit - and was watching the vids of your Guzzi start-up last with my wife going "what the heck are you watching." She liked the Guzzi too.

I'm about to have a go at my own restorations - a Honda SL 125 and a Honda SL 100. I thought I'd start with something real simple to get me on the learning curve. The 100 is a basket case, the 125 all there but in need of a serious tidy up.

Just one query if I may - what is the best way to polish up alloy? These will not be "concourse" restos but I would like them to look better than they do now.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #93
indianscout
Dexter

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regbafazool
rtwdoug said: I'm going to be working on "stoppies" with my Chief! ..............

........that is, trying to get the thing to stop at all !!!

OK Regbafazool, the same goes your you......I WANT PICTURES!!!
indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #94
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendernz

Just one query if I may - what is the best way to polish up alloy? These will not be "concourse" restos but I would like them to look better than they do now.
polish? you mean like to make something shiny?

I have no idea....

hehehe

we have an alloy polish here called Flitz that my friends seem to like, as they have shiny stuff. 00 steel wool & soap seems to work pretty good to remove rust from chrome.

I had an SL350, those SL's are cool bikes

Im glad you liked my ride story, thanks.

Doug

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #95
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendernz
I just started learning how to polish up Aluminum on my bsa this week. It is not a fun process. Although the final product is rewarding.

Any deep scratches will need to be sanded out with like a 100 grit going in one direction. Then switch to a 200 grit going in the opposite direction. Keep doing this going finer and finer, switching direction with each paper switch, till you you are wet sanding with 2000 grit. Then polish with a buffing wheel.

You quickly realize that the 1st sanding stage is the most important as anything you missed will be glaringly obvious latter on.

Each time you switch to a finer paper and switch sanding directions sand till you remove the grain lines from the previous sanding.

I think I went 80,180,300,400,600,1000,1500,2000 grit. The 600-2000 were wet sanded.

It takes forever. You are filthy at the end. But it looks sweet when done.
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #96
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

and that is why I dont polish anything.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #97
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,328
I heard a saying about that once

you either rub 'em or you ride 'em--rarely both.

so you're still watching South Park after that harley episode?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #98
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

that Harley episode was a riot!

This time next year when all my polished parts are looking like ass again Ill probably be looking them thinking why the hell did I invest all those hours into polishing them. But I guess its just one of those life lessons I need to go thru

Besides Ive never polished aluminum before. Its nice to learn the process. Even if it is in vain.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #99
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

I missed the harley episode, gotta find a place to download it. I dont think it'll make me dislike SP tho, cuz I dont have much use for your regular 'harley fags' anyhow

Doug

Old 11-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #100
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug
I missed the harley episode, gotta find a place to download it. I dont think it'll make me dislike SP tho, cuz I dont have much use for your regular 'harley fags' anyhow

Doug
http://www.xepisodes.com/southpark/e...he-F-Word.html
Old 11-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #101
Regbafazool
Gregarious Pariah

Oddometer: 597
Regbafazool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #102
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,390
Hi Doug , I'm just catching up on your garage thead . Killer as expected.
Bummer about the thrown rod. Guess the the Chef said "I took you around the world, so what do you expect?"
On the bacon slicer Guzzi. Cool!
I got a short ride on one around the pits at Mid-Ohio one year . I was having so much fun I didn't know til later that it was an Airone and not a Falcone.
It went to a famous guy I know. Dave Roper bought it .
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #103
Panick
shake, rattle & roll

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman
that Harley episode was a riot!

This time next year when all my polished parts are looking like ass again Ill probably be looking them thinking why the hell did I invest all those hours into polishing them. But I guess its just one of those life lessons I need to go thru

Besides Ive never polished aluminum before. Its nice to learn the process. Even if it is in vain.
Well, I did some aluminum and stainless polishing over the years and for sure it's a shit and tedious job, untill the last stage when you use your polishing wheels. The shine is rewarding. And, if you've done ir right then all it needs is an occasional wipe for alu and nothing much for stainless. Oh, eh and I do ride some of that actually....
Panick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #104
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Ive been gone, went up to visit yankeeland to hit 2 swapmeets & 3 auctions. I even brought a couple yankees back home with me. I have enough projects to last me thru the winter now (like I didnt have enough before)
the 1st auction was in VA, dealer that closed, not much good stuff, unless your into atv's, a few junker bikes, & lots of scrap metal. I ended up with a trailer load, which I stuck in storage, to keep the trailer free for the other events. Neither swapmeet was very good, lots of stuff, but nothing I needed. ok, I did get a few things....
next auction was another dealer in CT, stuff went pretty high there, I got a bike & some stuff. the other auction in Mass was big, and so were the prices. not many real good deals there, but I managed to snag a couple when people werent paying attention. I did find an estate sale on CL tho, that was a good score, 9 bikes. We ended up having to get a u-haul truck also, my friend Pul had come along, so he drove it back. It was a new truck, 20k miles, & in VA yesterday, it spit out the driveshaft, just missing a pickup behind him
So we lost a day, with getting towed, & transferring everything to a new truck. Got home this afternoon, 12 days & 4k miles later.

I'll take some bike pics when I get stuff unloaded tomorrow. I got a couple weird bikes, cant wait to get em running.

auction in VA

this KO CB750 may have been sitting awhile (no, it wasnt a sandcast!)

honda PC800, woulda been good for spare parts for Cack, but I didnt wanna haul it off

Old 11-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #105
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

we had a couple days to kill, so we went to new york, as they have real good pizza. Plus Polina wanted to do some siteseeing.
Have you ever driven a dodge maxivan with an 8' wide dual axle trailer down 42nd street?
Thats probably because you have more sense than I do.

big assed cemetery in brooklyn. I like brooklyn, its very diverse, & always much fun to walk around.

we went to the empire state building, I'd never been up there after dark, it was cool

while we were in Boston, we visited the Cheers bar. it was pretty Cheezy, actually.

then we went to the port & crawled around on a WW2 destroyer. this one survived 2 kamikazee attacks

I was busy at the other auctions & didnt think to take any pics there. was too crowded anyhow. I did meet a couple goes from ADV tho, they knew who I was from my trip this summer. I'm almost famous.

U-haul on the towtruck, of course it was raining, & we had toi swap the stuff in a muddy parking lot. joy

the dodge is a bit full, I'll start unloading them tomorrow.