Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #406
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversurfaced
Wow, Thanks for the plug!

It's always good to have a brother in arms come in and tip a pint. Glad you made it home safe - hope to see you down this way again some day!

Chad
Chad, how could I forget that name maybe I was over indulging in some of your fine beverages Glad you chimed in. Don't forget to bring your bike back down south for a little exploring in the hills

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #407
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion
Vicarious riding has been taken to a new level.

Can't remember a ride report not cluttered by excessive chatter as was your thread.

Thank you very much for the wonderful photography and the effort put forth in posting.

I am also awed by the pre-trip planning as evidenced in
http://www.moto-treks.com/Planning/l...formation.html

Hopefully you will take up a ride report covering your ride home.
George

Edit: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572738
Thanks for sticking around for 6 months Don't leave yet as I've got a few weeks left

Moto-Treks
Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #408
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Great Motorcycle Shop

At the start of this trip I stopped at what had to be one of the worst motorcycle dealers I致e ever visited, West Valley BMW, CA. Just a few days ago I had a new set of tires installed at BMW Ducati Husqvarna Motorcycles of Atlanta and I totally forgot to say that they have to be one of the best shops I致e visited, and all I did was post a picture

So, to be fair, anyone in the Atlanta Georgia area should stop in. When I was sitting in the waiting area while my bike was being worked on, the owner walked over and handed me a set of keys and said, 的f you're hungry, here are the keys to my truck, go get lunch. He then told me of a tavern down the road and said, 鉄ee ya later. How cool is that! Of course, I waited until after returning before I told him I hadn稚 driven a car or truck in 6 months as I壇 been blasting around South America 蜂 don稚 think he would have cared great people!

BMW Ducati Husqvarna
Motorcycles of Atlanta
1750 Cobb Parkway SE
Marietta, GA 30060
http://www.bmwmcoa.com/

Moto-Treks
Old 04-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #409
Loudo
Pithy

Oddometer: 183
A rare commodity

Jeff, regarding your good experience at the Atlanta shop, it's so rare to encounter what in the past would have been considered just run-of-the-mill excellent customer service that when it happens to me I'm just blown away. It takes so little to lock up that customer who's going to spread the good word to everyone, it's dismaying that it's an anomaly in the service industry these days.

At the completion of your ride, would you be willing to share your thoughts about clothing and equipment and so forth that worked (or did not) as advertised? Sort of a product review from a guy who knows the real deal, yes?

And evidently we're holding off on the good weather here in Washington until you get back.
Loudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #410
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudo

At the completion of your ride, would you be willing to share your thoughts about clothing and equipment and so forth that worked (or did not) as advertised? Sort of a product review from a guy who knows the real deal, yes?

And evidently we're holding off on the good weather here in Washington until you get back.
Well, not sure I知 someone in the know but I have been impressed with some of the stuff I brought, so yeah, I値l write up my 2 cents worth of the stuff I致e used. I致e also signed-up to do a presentation of my trip and share my experience at the HU event in BC Canada if you want to come to that.

Oh, and make the weather better back there, I've got some riding to do when I get home

Moto-Treks
Old 05-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #411
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBones
Isn稚 that a funny commentary on the mind of a true ADV'er. Most people, and riders, would consider a coast to coast trip across the US on a motorcycle a BIG trip! But to Moto-Treks...this is merely a milk run, or perhaps the proverbial cherry on top of a huge dirt and asphalt sundae. Well done and thanks for taking us along!
Milk run? That would be more like a beer run Here, I'm enjoying my first real beer in 6 months, the Ranger IPA from New Belgium - Yummmmmmm

Moto-Treks
Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 AM   #412
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks
Here, I'm enjoying my first real beer in 6 months, the Ranger IPA from New Belgium - Yummmmmmm
You must have missed the dark beer in Guatemala called Moza

I will say one thing though, since the Moza in Guatemala, the local beers have been mostly crap.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #413
XR Valdeez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Thumb Beer

You also missed the Cerveza Panama as well!

CURRENT POSITION
XR Valdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #414
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
thanks

Thanks for taking the time to post the RR, and also all the great info on your MotoTreks pages. The maps for SA that I was able to download, the tutorial, thats great that you did that. I really appreciate the work you did there.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #415
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Shipping

Please tell us how much and what procedures you do to ship the bike back from Brazil. Plus one would assume that it flew on a plane back to the US.... Inquiry minds want to know for our future planning........

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #416
BKawa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Welcome home

Congrats onmaking it back to the States. If you happen to be heading through South Carolina, let me know. Schedule is pretty busy right now but I am off tomorrow and would love to ride with you a bit. Beer is on me too.
BKawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #417
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKawa
Congrats onmaking it back to the States. If you happen to be heading through South Carolina, let me know. Schedule is pretty busy right now but I am off tomorrow and would love to ride with you a bit. Beer is on me too.
PM send - I'm riding to Beaufort tomorrow

Moto-Treks
Old 05-03-2010, 04:51 AM   #418
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
You must have missed the dark beer in Guatemala called Moza

I will say one thing though, since the Moza in Guatemala, the local beers have been mostly crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Valdeez
You also missed the Cerveza Panama as well!
I believe I tried both, but they're not an IPA. Once you're hooked on IPAs there's no turning back Don't get me wrong, there were places that served tasty beer, just not IPAs.

Moto-Treks
Old 05-03-2010, 05:10 AM   #419
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432
Please tell us how much and what procedures you do to ship the bike back from Brazil. Plus one would assume that it flew on a plane back to the US.... Inquiry minds want to know for our future planning........
With much regret, I decided not to go to Brazil it値l have to wait for another trip. But, if I went to Brazil, I would return to Buenos Aires use air freight. I heard a lot of stories of people that had problems either to or from Brazil with air freight. I guess it痴 not impossible, just be prepared to do a bit of work once you池e there. From BA, if you use Sandra at Dakar Motos, it痴 a piece of cake. We had two bikes crated and cleared by customs in 3 hours. Cost from BA to Atlanta, $1100 USD.

From what I understand, if you are going to transport your bike by ship then go to Chile.

Moto-Treks
Old 05-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #420
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 185
Glad to see your bike made it to its proper destination, unlike Sebastiens! How was the service when you picked it up? Get any sleep after Pink Floyd?

Air Canada tried to ding me for another $240 to pick mine up. storage fees. Ya right. Still had to pay $80 for 'customs fees' or some other BS, after which they dumped my crate in the parking lot at said to make sure I clean up my mess! Welcome home.

Drive safe and watch out for those cops! Maybe I will see you at the HUBB meet.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote