Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #436
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANNABEEmer
Nice report men just read for two days......

Started planning SA trip (3 months) the end of this year when all the signs are in the right direction. Just not knowing if I should go alone or with my wife. Since you did both can you give me something on that item?

Greets
R
If you both like riding 2-up I’d take her.

Depending on where you go, you will hit gravel roads which can last all day. It’s easier for you to stand while riding but the one on back may not be able to do that for hours at a time. So, you need to be comfortable riding 2-up in all conditions.

There’re advantages and disadvantages about 2-up riding with the disadvantages being the additional weight and limited space. My wife and I have learned to pack light so we can fit everything we want on a bike. The bike is heavy but manageable. The advantage is sharing the adventure with someone you enjoy being with.

Having said that, I’ve heard long distance motorcycle trips can challenge a relationship. I did meet a guy in Argentina that was traveling with a group including two couples riding 2-up. One couple split up during the trip when the guy woke early one day a rode off without her. The other couple is still together

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #437
WANNABEEmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Thanks for the info.

I think we can manage a lot together, packing light, enjoying living on the road, eating, laughing and so on.

My only doubt is the riding I like to ride on gravel and so more, she ain't might even be a bit afraid of all the slippery roads and dangerous curves in mountain climbs or downhill without 'safety net' but she is also afraid of flying and still she does.

We shall see what time has in store for us........
Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #438
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I think we can manage a lot together, packing light, enjoying living on the road, eating, laughing and so on.

My only doubt is the riding I like to ride on gravel and so more, she ain't might even be a bit afraid of all the slippery roads and dangerous curves in mountain climbs or downhill without 'safety net' but she is also afraid of flying and still she does.

We shall see what time has in store for us........
2-Up will really slow you down on the offroad stuff. I didn't go to Bolivia because I knew there would be many bad roads and I knew my wife didn't like riding over really bumpy roads. We had spend a good deal of time riding 2-up offroad and I knew we could do it if required, but I also knew she didn't like it. Damm, after several days of nothing but washboards roads and even I was looking for something better - they're just not that fun!!! Now, make that a dirt road and that's a different story

If you want to do noting but offroad around South America I wouldn't take a passenger. I'd get a small dirtbike, something like a DR 400, pack light, real ligh, and go have a blast

Moto-Treks
Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #439
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,764
Old 05-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #440
WANNABEEmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Yep that sounds like a decent plan as well I'm skipping the wife part anyhow since she just got a new job and wouldn't be able to take a long break

But now you got me doubting about how to travel on the Beemer 1200ADV or on my KTM 640 LC4 which only has a 18 liter fuel-tank. With the beemer being easier is the KTM more fun but maybe less strong.

Luxury problems but still......
Old 06-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #441
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
But now you got me doubting about how to travel on the Beemer 1200ADV or on my KTM 640 LC4 which only has a 18 liter fuel-tank. With the beemer being easier is the KTM more fun but maybe less strong.

Luxury problems but still......
Either will work. The power of the 1200 will be nice when you want to pass a line of trucks on a twisty mountain road The light weight of the KTM will be nice in Bolivia.

As long as you can make 200 miles with the 18 liters you shouldn’t have a problem. You may not always get good gas, but you will find gas. BTW, an empty 2 liter coke bottle works well to carry a little extra fuel

Moto-Treks
Old 06-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #442
moto-treks OP
Back Home

The Ride West

[So, it’s been a little while since I’ve been home and some of you may have thought I gave up on updating this RR. I finally managed to set down and put this last post together. So, here goes...]

After visiting my brother in South Carolina I rode off for Asheville taking in some of the sights along the way.

After a night in Asheville it was off to the Blue Ridge Parkway

But within a few miles I was forced off the parkway due to some road closure. I’d ridden the parkway a few years back so I decided to just hit some local North Carolina roads on my way to West Virginia

It was about here

that I started calculating distance, time and routes and came to the conclusion that I could be home in 4 days if I hit the interstates. Man that had me thinking

The desire to get home hit hard and within hours I was no longer heading north but had turned west. I told myself I would sleep on it overnight as I wouldn't be too far off route by nightfall. The next day, I still found myself traveling in a westerly direction, totally bitten by the get-home-bug.

It wasn’t until someplace in Kansas that I stopped for a picture because it reminded me of Patagonia

Ok, its a little greener in Kansas and it does lack the mountains, but … yes????

In Wyoming I hit the worst weather of the whole trip. It was shortly after passing the highest point on interstate 80. I had already been riding in a good crosswind, not like on Ruta 40, and with payment underneath, there was no need to concentrate on keeping the tires in the 1 foot clear path. It started snowing, and within 20 minutes the front windscreen had a good half inch of snow and it was getting real cold. I had expected this type of weather on the way to Ushuaia but here in North America? It was suppose to be warm! All I could think of was I need to drop about 2000 feet and this would all be gone.

I eventually made it into Utah

and on to Boise for my last night out on the trip. It was a little sad knowing this was the last night, but I soon found comfort in a good steak and a glass wine or two and maybe a shot of tequila (just for old times’ sake, Baldone1 ).

Being back in my riding area was great.

as I rode a few on my favorite roads before finding my way to Moscow, ID and meeting up with fellow inmate, coots for the final leg home.

That’s it folks – Trip over – hope you all enjoyed it, as I sure did! There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of riding in South America. It was a wonderful trip.

Moto-Treks
Old 06-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #443
Baldone1
I like It Dirty

Oddometer: 65
Adios amigo! Great riding with you! Awesome RR. Might see you in BC.

Kevin
Baldone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #444
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Good stuff Jefe. I'm still stuck in Colombia. I might never leave. Just sayin.....

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #445
DirtyBones
Donde esta...?

Oddometer: 761
I've put numerous spots on my personal must visit list because of your RR....so thanks for taking the time to take us along!! It's been great going along for the ride.

I'll be following in some of your tracks...the plan is to leave New Jersey this August, tag Deadhorse, AK and then turn south to TDF....6-8 months total. Can't wait!

RR: From Deadhorse Down
Blog: www.fromdeadhorsedown.com

"I don’t like to think of laws as rules you have to follow, but more as suggestions." ~George Carlin
DirtyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #446
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 234
There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of riding in South America. It was a wonderful trip.

Moto-Treks

Yea well, partial thanks to you, me too...Got a lot of notes from your trip on paper - someday I WILL be using these notes. Thanks for sharing your adv - loved it! Sure you are as well - I'm still following Crashmaster. He's my new hero in life. Enjoyed reading about your times together. If you're ever coming down Sonoma County, CA way, PM me and I'll treat you to a local ride or two, several brews, and the local wine world in exchange for picking your brain on what to do and not to do on a long trip.
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #447
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Trip Stats

My route to and from South America:

To Tierra del Fuego from Spokane Washington

19,251 miles (30,974 km)
177 days
5 mph average

To Spokane from Atlanta

4049 Miles
14 days
12 mph average

Total Miles Ridden: 23,300
Daily expense:  $65
Cost to ship bike from Panama to Colombia: $900
Cost to ship bike from Argentina to the US: $1200 
Flight for me from Panama to Colombia: $250
Flight for me from Argentina to the US: free (Airline frequent flyer award)

Other

Flats: 3
Oil Filters: 3
Oil Changes: 3
Sets of Tires: 3
Photos: 9475
Air Flights: 5
Bike Flights: 2
Countries Visited: 13
Cars that passed me: 3 (South America) 15 (USA)
Cars/Trucks that I passed: 280,351
Liters of beer: 350 (mas o menos)
Liters of wine: 50
Questions about bike (how big is the tank, what did it cost): 214

Moto-Treks
Old 07-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #448
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Thanks for sharing that info. Awesome!!
But only 50 liters of wine?
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #449
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Jeff,
Looking forward to your presentation in Nakusp.
Daryll
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #450
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks
Cars that passed me: 3 (South America) 15 (USA)
Cars/Trucks that I passed: 280,351
Liters of beer: 350 (mas o menos)
Liters of wine: 50
Questions about bike (how big is the tank, what did it cost): 214
Now that is some funny stuff right there. But come on Jeff, only 350 liters of beer? Hell, you and I put a pretty good dent in that number after only one night at the Revolucion in San Cristobal.

Your cars/trucks passed number looks a little low as well.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote