Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #46
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Is it still hotter than hell in La Paz? You're going to dig the ferry ride to MZT. Sitting out on the stern at night and having a brew is good stuff.

Say hi to the girls at Baja Ferries Recepcion for me.
Nope, its not too hot, just a little windy. I'm waiting for the beer. Ferry leaves at 8:00PM so I may need to head down to that little bar just before the ferry and wait there. The ticket girls where very nice and spoke good English. THen even told me where to go to get the import papers.

It's very green here in Baja, like everything, hills, valleys, even along the side of the road. Was it like that when you where here?

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #47
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks
It's very green here in Baja, like everything, hills, valleys, even along the side of the road. Was it like that when you where here?
yeah, except that the water crossings and washouts on my favorite off-road routes were impassable.

Did you take the pig through the Calamajue wash or the Commondus? If so, how was it?

I've got a killer dirt route lined up for this Sunday to Guanajuato. Should be fun. Hopefully I wont drown.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #48
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,206
Great starter photos....

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #49
Jacpod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
On board too! Ride safe!
Jacpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #50
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Tequila - it's all about tequila

I spend the day in Tequila during El Día de los Muertos. Pretty cool, but first I had to head off the Jose Cuervo distillery

Jose Cuervo

I’ve wanted to visit this town ever since working up on the North Slope of Alaska and came up with the idea of of building a Tequila pipeline; Well, I thought it was a good idea! The guy at the Jose Cuervo bar told me that all he drinks is 1800. I didn’t have the heart to tell him there are better tequilas out there, after all, he was all of 23 and still has a lot to learn.

Being that this was El Día de los Muertos I left the distillery and headed for El Centro to see what was going on.

Tequila Centro

Tequila Van

Vaquero

An hour or two later and the parade started

Before the parade, I was lucky enough to see a local weding. Now, to me, getting married on Halloween seemed a little weird but hey, it works, especially when you can brng the whole family.

Just invite the whole family

This police bike blocked traffic for an hour or more. The whole time the engine was running!

Back inside the church there was a group of kids reciting something about the saints they represented.

After that, the party continued until after 3:00 AM but with places to get tequila open all night, what do you expect.

And, if you get hungry just stop here

Moto-Treks

moto-treks screwed with this post 11-02-2009 at 08:59 PM
Old 11-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #51
Mtnjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Oh yea, one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
Mtnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #52
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnjohn
Oh yea, one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
Floor? I started my training for this ride a few months back. It's at least four or five!

Moto-Treks
Old 11-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #53
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,635
Great photos. Great stuff about Tequila and Jose Cuervo. My only comment is that probably this guy in the picture is a "vaquero" (vaquero = cowboy?) and very likely not a gaucho. Unless, of course, he is from the pampas of South America.
Lion

Quote:

Gaucho

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #54
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Great photos. Great stuff about Tequila and Jose Cuervo. My only comment is that probably this guy in the picture is a "vaquero" (vaquero = cowboy?) and very likely not a gaucho. Unless, of course, he is from the pampas of South America.
Lion
You are correct. Damm dictionary! Or maybe it was too many of these

Moto-Treks
Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #55
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Cheers!
Either way, I'm following your journey! Hope to see your adventure continue through the beautiful pampas of South America and beyond.
Lion

Quote:
You are correct. Damm dictionary! Or maybe it was too many of these

Old 11-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #56
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Flashback

Let me back up a bit as my last update was from Tequila, but before that it was from Ensenada, and I’m now sitting in Puerto Vallarta. So, to recap, I took off from Ensenada at the respectable hour of 10:00AM; destination: Guerrero Negro, some 370 miles away. Should be able to make it on a single tank (I love those 41 liters).

The road out of Ensenada climbed into the hills and the twisties followed.

Road fron Ensenada

Then the cactus started

Cactus Garden

Cactus and Me

Followed by the cactus and rocks

Cactus and Rocks

At Guerrero Negro, I stayed at the hotel Malarrimo, which seems to be a local favorite for people travelling in Baja.

My spot at Guerrero Negro

Had a wonderful shrimp dinner and talked to an xpat that has been in Baja for 15 years. He told me he had never seen it so green. I was thinking, OK, it’s green, but nothing special. Well, that’s until I left Guerrero Negro and headed south to Loreto.

Look at those hills; Green

Ever since entering Baja, I’ve had this uneasy feeling about getting the Beast’s import papers. In Tecate, they told me to do the paper work in Ensenada. At Ensenada, they said La Paz. When I get to La Paz, what are they going to say, Tijuana? I was wanting to get to La Paz to get this settled.

I got to Loreto, found a place to stay, and went for a walk along the waterfront.

Then, there was this huge splash, as if someone threw something large into the water. Expecting to see some kids goofing off, I saw nothing expect for Pelicans.

Then, SPLASH...and this time not more than 6 feet away. It was the Pelicans fishing. They would fly above the marina, and when they saw something to eat, dive down and nab it.

Pelican in flight

Sees a fish

Starts the attack

Closer

and closer

Got it!

A 9.0

Loreto Church

From Loreto, I set off for La Paz. If you’ve been thinking of heading to Baja, then think no more, do it! The roads are awesome!

Grin factor

Concepcion Bay

Arriving in La Paz in the early afternoon, I went straight to the ferry terminal as I really wanted to answer the bike import question. It turned out to be a non-issue - the guy at the bank sorted everything out and I got my paperwork for the Beast. After buying my ferry tickets, I found myself with about 5 hours to kill in La Paz.

Waiting for the ferry

At the ferry terminal, I met these two guys,

Clark and Louie

Clark, with the Honda 750, was headed to Brazil. He picked up the bike for a song and, “It only burns a quart or two of oil every few hundred miles”. Yeah, he carries extra oil. Louie, the French Canadian on the ST, was doing a 3 week trip from Quebec to Puerto Vallarta and back to visit his brother.

Offloaded from the ferry in Mazatlan a little before noon and rode to San Blas for the night

San Blas

Had a nice lobster dinner (sorry, forgot my camera) for $13. This was a plate with three medium sized lobsters – good stuff.

From there it was off to Tequila. Another excellent road full of all types of twisties. Also, this volcano rock garden.

I have to admit, I’m having a hard time stopping to take pictures as the roads are so nice I don’t want to get out of “the zone”.

Then I saw it! My first road sign that told me I was on the right path.

Ruta del Tequila

Followed by some Blue Agave.

Blue Agave

Checking into the “Real Tequila Hotel” and after a shower, I was off to visit downtown.

I’m now sitting in Puerto Vallarta after an excellent ride to the coast. Spent the day here relaxing and catching up with everyone after no internet for a few days. On the way to Puerto Vallarta, I came across three accidents. One involved a bicyclist and a car. The guy didn’t do so well, his hat was next to the blue tarp that covered his body. For the next few miles, I reminded myself to be extra careful as I imagine the road hazards will become worse than here in Mexico.

Moto-Treks
Old 11-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #57
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,206
Thumb

Fantastic photo's

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #58
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,707
Glad to see some more of your work, looking good
Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #59
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Please keep these awesome photos and stories coming.
Although some people rightly say this bike is heavy, I'm thinking, if I want to make such a long trip, many miles per day, day after day, I might as well get it done on one of these 1150's.
Lion
Old 11-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #60
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Please keep these awesome photos and stories coming.
Although some people rightly say this bike is heavy, I'm thinking, if I want to make such a long trip, many miles per day, day after day, I might as well get it done on one of these 1150's.
Lion
The 1150 is heavy. However, once you load any bike down with gear for a 6 month trip its going to be a pig.

I'm surprised at how well the GS handles the weight. Once moving its hard to tell how heavy it is, but when stopped don't let it lean to much otherwise the best thing to do is just make sure you aren't caught under the bike.

Moto-Treks