ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
birch OP
Adventurer
 
birch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 69
BMW RS Questions

I've been eying up older RS's. I do like the look and it would be nice to have a bike with a faring since my Griso doesn't.

Here is where I'm torn. For about the same money, I can find an R100RS and an R1150RS.

I guess it's mainly airhead vs oilhead and vintage cool vs just older, but is there more to it than that?

I know it's a bit open ended, but I know there are popular bikes here and my Griso needs a stablemate!

Thanks!
birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Flying Frisian
Born to Ride
 
Flying Frisian's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Oregon, Dual Sport Paradise
Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by birch View Post
I've been eying up older RS's. I do like the look and it would be nice to have a bike with a faring since my Griso doesn't.

Here is where I'm torn. For about the same money, I can find an R100RS and an R1150RS.

I guess it's mainly airhead vs oilhead and vintage cool vs just older, but is there more to it than that?

I know it's a bit open ended, but I know there are popular bikes here and my Griso needs a stablemate!

Thanks!
It all depends on what you want to do with it. I would go for the R100RS because this bike has tons more character (IMO). You already have a fairly modern bike with the Griso so I vote for the Airhead.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 R1200RT, 1983 R65 (winter project)
Flying Frisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
LostViking
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Chateaugay Lake, N.Y.
Oddometer: 997
Tough call,

The R100RS has arguably the best wind management of any fairing ever put on a bike. It is a very cool old school bike.
But it is still an old school bike.

I actually owned the R1150RS and it was my favorite Beemer and I have owned more than my share both newer and older. The one major drawback to that bike in my opinion was the servo brake models. Other than that it was a Gem.

The RS seems to be the Sleeper in the line up. I wait with guarded anticipation on the new R1200RS. I knew a guy who used to own a BMW Dealership. He could ride any bike he wanted. He rode the R1150RS.

If you haven't done so already, do a search. There have been a few RS threads on Road Warriors lately. And maybe pop over to Olds Cool.

Good Luck,
__________________
"Sailing hard for Vigrid Plain"
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Central Cal.
Oddometer: 195
Hard choice, but I have owned an R90S, R1100RS and a R1150RS. Loved the motor in the R1150 best but the 5spd gearbox in the 1100RS was better in my opinion. The sixth gear was just too tall for me in the 1150RS. The power assisted brakes on the R1150 was a drawback. Worked awesome but I did lose the pump and ended up removing that system. Rode all three well over 80k miles. For nostalgia the R90S would be my favorite but the 1150 would be my favorite for riding if it were not for the power brakes failing. I know the failure rate was low but it can happen. You will enjoy which ever you choose.

__________________
'08 R1200 GSA
'08 BMW K1200S (Whoosh....)
'02 KTM 400 EXC
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: S. W. Mssouri
Oddometer: 5,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuddy View Post
Hard choice, but I have owned an R90S, R1100RS and a R1150RS. Loved the motor in the R1150 best but the 5spd gearbox in the 1100RS was better in my opinion. The sixth gear was just too tall for me in the 1150RS. The power assisted brakes on the R1150 was a drawback. Worked awesome but I did lose the pump and ended up removing that system. Rode all three well over 80k miles. For nostalgia the R90S would be my favorite but the 1150 would be my favorite for riding if it were not for the power brakes failing. I know the failure rate was low but it can happen. You will enjoy which ever you choose.

That top gear is just perfect at 80 or above (even much above ). Which is how the RS was intended to be ridden. Silly Americans and their speed laws.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sparrowhawk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Eastern Washington, USA
Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
That top gear is just perfect at 80 or above (even much above ). Which is how the RS was intended to be ridden. Silly Americans and their speed laws.

Rod
You should make a trip out west. 75 - 80 is posted so if you're 8 over you're in the sweet spot.

I have experience with both the R100RS & K100RS. I would love to own either. I think if you braced the frame and updated the suspension on either you would have a sweet ride. As others have mentioned, air management at speed are perfect.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
birch OP
Adventurer
 
birch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 69
I've been leaning toward the airhead too.

Gotta find one and see if I fit!
birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kaput13's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by birch View Post
I've been leaning toward the airhead too.

Gotta find one and see if I fit!


Wise choice.

If you get one stop by the airheads section and post a pic.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: S. W. Mssouri
Oddometer: 5,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
You should make a trip out west. 75 - 80 is posted so if you're 8 over you're in the sweet spot.

I have experience with both the R100RS & K100RS. I would love to own either. I think if you braced the frame and updated the suspension on either you would have a sweet ride. As others have mentioned, air management at speed are perfect.
I have a R1150RS
I have made several trips out west. I know it is sacrilege but the last trip the bike was in the back of my truck with a bunch of other stuff. Even in a old low power truck in the summer with no ac it was a better than the last time I rode across Kansas. I have done that 7 roundtrip times now, I have paid my dues. I intend to move out there as soon as my home here sells.

Getting the house ready after riding rather than doing non essential maintenance has been bad.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 33,365
I had a 1981 R100RS, my first BMW, and a 1994 R1100RS, my first oilhead. I'd choose the R100RS. It feels so much lighter and smaller. The cases will hold a full face helmet and changing the oil filter is a pain in the ass.

If you want to run a bunch of electrical accessories and don't want to be a little more attentive to braking, the R1100RS is a better choice. It has a real charging system that has plenty of surplus power.
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
windsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
windsurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Tacoma
Oddometer: 110
I can only speak from my own experience. I had a black 2001 R1100RS, the best looking Beemer ever IMHO. I would take another in a heartbeat. One plus for me over the R100RS is anti lock brakes. I wouldn't have a bike without them now. I also had the servo brakes and they were no issue but they always worked too. Airheads are very cool but I like the higher performance from the later models. I think the RS is a overlooked model in the BMW line up. I'm looking forward to seeing reviews of the new R1200RS.
__________________
Bear
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Central California coast
Oddometer: 390
I *really* liked my 1100RSL. Confidence inspiring, really solid handling, extremely reliable. Great wind protection. Adjustable seat and windshield height. Great bags. The only reason it sold was my arthritic knees couldn't get my arthritic knees up to the pegs, even with lowered pegs and raised seat.
Nothat both knees have been replaced, I'd buy it back in an instant.
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
babble
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 61
go on then! do it! keep those new knees busy....
babble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #14
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer
 
beemerphile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by birch View Post
I've been leaning toward the airhead too.

Gotta find one and see if I fit!
I have been riding R100RS's since 1977 (still have it) and currently have a 1992. As I have aged, the original riding posture has suited me less - until I changed to the K-RS bars. Now it fits me perfectly again. If the stock ergos don't get it, there are solutions. Still, I think, it is the best bike ever (and I do have an 1150)...

__________________
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Lee
Amateurs practice until they get it right, professionals practice until
they never get it wrong
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Central Cal.
Oddometer: 195
Yep, the sixth gear in the 1150 was great above 80, but the five speed in the 1100 was also great above 75. It was unfortunate the RS's were under appreciated, very fine bikes. I have not ridden one for probably 7years now, not sure if the seating position would still suit me. My GS has totally spoiled me with comfort. Can barely ride my K1200S, just is not comfy for me anymore. May test ride the new RS just to check my comfort level. From what I have seen, very pretty.
I still may have a larger windshield for an 1150RS if anyone is interested.

__________________
'08 R1200 GSA
'08 BMW K1200S (Whoosh....)
'02 KTM 400 EXC
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014