User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #1
JRodIzzle OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Concours 14 or R1200GS Adventure

Hey guys, I'm hoping I posted this in the most appropriate place. So I have a 2012 Concours 14, and I am really considering trading in for a R1200GS. I know a bunch of people on here ride various BMW's and thought I would ask for some input. I drive more on pavement, and love eating up tons of miles, which the connie is great at. I am moving to the mountains in a few months though and will have more chances to stretch my legs on gravel and offroad more than I do now.

How does the 1200gs handle off road? I mean I know it's a beemer, but I'm used to smaller dirt bikes offroad, is it too heavy?
While it is much more well rounded than the concours 14, is it a jack of all trades, master of none type deal?
How does the 1200gs handle on the road? I'm sure the concours probably has it beat here, but by how much?
How bad is the maintenance and cost to own? I've heard differing opinions on this one, but input would be great.

Please don't beat me up too bad, I know this is an adventure forum after all haha.
By the way, the Concours 1400 I have is a 2012, the BMW I'm looking at is a 2011 R1200GS Adventure

Thanks,
jarrod

JRodIzzle screwed with this post Yesterday at 01:34 PM
JRodIzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #2
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
keep the concours, get a "cheap and cheerful" Japanese 'adv' bike for tackling those gravel mountain roads.

Thank me later...
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #3
1derer
Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer: 244
I would highly suggest keeping your C14 moving to a R1200gs from that bike would likely bore you to death. The R12GS is a great all a rounder but its not brilliant at anything (unless you need a little of everything). I went the two bike route and couldn't be happier. If you are not going to go across the super slab to ride in the dirt a thumper would be a good inexpensive choice such as a F650gs / F65gs Dakar, DR605SE, etc. This will keep the weight lighter and cost of repair down if you were to drop it.

My $0.02

Make sure you ride the R1200gs 1st then follow what calls to you!
1derer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #4
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,542
Haven't riden a Conny so I can't compare, but the GS handles amazingly good. Almost great. As far as dirt, this is not a dirt bike by any stretch of the imagination. It's wide and very heavy. Once you pick it up (and you will) you'll know. But for gravel, fire roads etc it's very nice. I have done 400 mile days no prob (other than the boredom of interstates)
Maintenance is around $700 for the major (I just had the 12k setvice done) and $250 for the minor (6k miles). Ymmv

My 2c if you enjoy your Connie why not keep it and buy a "inexpensive" dirt bike like a DR350? Then you can really explore off the beaten path. But if you are wanting a bike that's good all round then go GS.
Cheers
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM   #5
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
keep the concours, get a "cheap and cheerful" Japanese 'adv' bike for tackling those gravel mountain roads.

Thank me later...
+1

A few thousand will get you a nice KLR.
No driveshaft or fuel strips.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #6
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
+2. I've had two 1200GS's. If you like the C14, keep it, and get a smaller dual sport.
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #7
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
+1

A few thousand will get you a nice KLR.
No driveshaft or fuel strips.
+1

KLR is far better on dirt and off road....and still can take you cross country(if you body can stand riding it that far) but that is Connie territory.

if you are really serious about off road get a lighter more off road bike.

Keep the Connie
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #8
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,665
I went the other way. I have an 1150GSA that I bought one year old. I have farkled it to fit me perfectly and it has never been back to the dealer. It is like an old pair of comfortable shoes.

I like riding gravel and dirt, so I bought a DR650. I like traveling long distance two up, so I bought an FJR (from a good friend who can't ride anymore). The GSA is OK at both jobs but the other two are better in their respective areas.

I found that while I still love the GSA the power of my FJR is intoxicating and the GSA gets ridden less and less. I'll probably never sell it, and if I decided to ride to Alaska tomorrow, it is the bike I would take.

One other thing, my daughters both like the GSA better than the FJR two up.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM   #9
JRodIzzle OP
n00b

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll keep the Concours, do some more farkling to it. I have an xt225 already, I think I'll just go ahead and do some mods to it. Thinking about it, that's already about as heavy as I like to have to pick up and deal with on real rough trails anyways. Maybe one of these days I'll add a Beemer to my garage as well haha.
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM   #10
JRodIzzle OP
n00b

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll keep the Concours, do some more farkling to it. I have an xt225 already, I think I'll just go ahead and do some mods to it. Thinking about it, that's already about as heavy as I like to have to pick up and deal with on real rough trails anyways. Maybe one of these days I'll add a Beemer to my garage as well haha.
Old Today, 02:31 AM   #11
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Never ridden a Concours, but did have a K1600GTL, which is kind of similar. Also had a 2011 GSA. Would take the GSA any day. True the GSA is too much for a person of my size (5'8") on trails, but it's great on a lot of the dirt/gravel backroads you'll find in NC and the more groomed dirt they had where I lived in NY. If you're in NC, probably not relevant, but preferred the GSA in NYC because of the awful conditions of Manhattan streets and heat blast from K1600 engine while sitting in stop and go traffic.

I've driven both bikes back and forth from NY to DC several times (almost all freeway) and still preferred the GSA. Better protection from engine heat, more fuel range, more storage, better handling in high winds (Chesapeake Bridge, Delaware Memorial, GW, etc) and more comfortable.

Caveats - I'm talking GSA, not GS, K1600 not Concours, so take it FWIW. Pretty tenuous comparison. If there's any way you could swing one of the newer water cooled GS/GSA's so much the better.

Also wife liked pillion better on GSA.
Robert OK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:08 AM   #12
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 798
I had a Concours 14 and liked it, fast, great brakes and smoother than a fresh spanked baby's butt. But I am a big guy and couldn't get the ergos where I was comfy for a long haul. Sold it for a 1200RT, traded it for the same reason for an 11 GSA and never looked back.

The GSA is the best riding bike on the road, maybe not the fastest, handles great, neutral and very easy to ride.
Huge tank so longer stretches (in the boonies) are not a concern.
NO engine heat issues.
If the going gets rough it gets going, no need to worry about road construction or rough roads in general as it floats over them, if there is a dirt road shortcut take it . No need to worry about Tupperware shaking to pieces.
I too have a smaller dirt bike for forest roads. If the Concours makes you smile like mine did, ride the dickens out of it but be safe.
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #13
curtis6870
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRodIzzle View Post
3 is an excellent number. Living in the mountains with a massive sporttour, and a smallish offroadie, leaves a void. You will need something to carve up the local twisties....sv, tuono, etc.
Old Today, 08:55 AM   #14
1derer
Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRodIzzle View Post
I have a lot of experience trying to get a little more out of small displacement engines, rarely in the case of the small 4 strokes do you get much in gains. In the case of the XT its a great introductory bike but if you find it lacking in power, suspension, weight you are better off replacing it with something that meets your needs. Depending on your inseam the Yamaha WR205R, Suzuki DRZ400 or a variety of KTMs would be a good "mod".
1derer is online now   Reply With Quote