User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Touring on bonneville SE/t100?

Anyone here done any long distance touring on a triumph bonneville? How did you prep modify the bike for touring? Pics of bike and or travelreport?

How did it perform?
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn View Post
Anyone here done any long distance touring on a triumph bonneville? How did you prep modify the bike for touring? Pics of bike and or travelreport?

How did it perform?

i don't know if you already saw this thread, but it's got a couple of the coolest bonnie touring pics i've ever seen!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724536

btw- i want a bonneville. bad.

surly357 screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 04:29 PM
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,676
I recently did a 1400 mile (2,250 km) 3-day trip on my Bonneville. Bike did fine. The stock seat on the SE is very thin and uncomfortable. I have the Triumph solo seat, much better.
I would get a bigger windshield if I was doing a lot of touring though.

http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
LookoutMountainTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Bonnie Touring

The Bonnie can tour very well, get a screen that works for you and some bags and take off. I did a 1200 mile trip up to Kentucky on my Scrambler this past July and it did really well, also did some 700 mile trips on the Bonnie I did have and those trips went well. I try not to get in a hurry, stop every 75 miles or so and get gas, hydrate and stretch and pretty soon you have done 200-300 miles. You might look into some highway pegs to stretch you legs out and a better seat.
LookoutMountainTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Summicron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Yes, it has been done

Ted Simon went around the world and wrote a book on it.

Jim
Summicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Ted Simon did it on a crappy, leaky Triumph. And yes, he went around the world no problem...so the modern Bonnies will get you through pretty much anything.
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,194
I did a 9000 mile trip on a 1979, no problems at all (and no windshield).
They did have much better seats back then...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,676
If I was riding by myself at my own pace with no time constraints to get anywhere I would be fine with no windshield. However, I usually have to do a couple of long days to get too and back from anywhere decent. I also usually ride with guys on big-bore sport tourers/sport bikes so I hate to slow them down (on long slab runs).

My last day of the above trip was 580 miles with the last 450 miles interstate at a GPS-indicated 75 mph. Could have used something bigger than the fly screen.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
teachnsurf
Bonnie Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
12,000 Miles of Touring

I've been through 27 states on my Bonnie.

For my big cross country tour I switched to a 19t front sprocket, got a gel seat, and some adventure touring tires. When I got to the East Coast, I added a windscreen.

Both trips are in the sig line below.
This is my Bonneville. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Bonneville is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Bonneville, without me, is useless. Without my Bonneville, I am useless. I must ride my Bonneville true. I must ride faster than my enemy who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me. I will.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachnsurf View Post

Is that pic near Laramie?

Just wonderin'....

......nevermind, just looked at the link and answered my own question. thought it looked familiar.....:-)
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank you guys for your posts and pics :-)

Im used to bigger bikes, Harley street glide, BMW R1150GSA, KTM 990ADV and Yamaha FJR1300. So was/am a little afraid that the bonneville would be a little small for me for touring. But I really like the bike and the retro look so Im glad that you guys have had so good experiences with them

The girlfriend also wants to ride once in a while so I hope the bike is fine for some 2up riding as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
grumpy-1944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn View Post
Thank you guys for your posts and pics :-)

Im used to bigger bikes, Harley street glide, BMW R1150GSA, KTM 990ADV and Yamaha FJR1300. So was/am a little afraid that the bonneville would be a little small for me for touring. But I really like the bike and the retro look so Im glad that you guys have had so good experiences with them

The girlfriend also wants to ride once in a while so I hope the bike is fine for some 2up riding as well.
My wife and I have taken 3 day trips riding double with saddlebags and sissybar bag. The Bonnie did good, Except for the missing sissybar bag, here is the setup
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Calamity Jesus
n0ob

Oddometer: 245
I've done a few 600 mile days and a few 1200mi 3-day weekends on my '09 Bonneville SE. Everything I would say has already been mentioned. Stock seat sucks, though.. that's really the biggie. I seriously regret not buying a better one. Some better rear shocks would be the #2 item to address.

Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #14
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok it really sounds like I dont have to think about the bike is suited for longer trips :-)

Grumpy-1944 I see you have the Triumph touring seat. Do you use that everyday or just for touring?

And Beaverboy you have another handlebar on you bike why did you change the bars?

I went to a local dealer the other day and there was a used T-100 I could sit on. It had the triumph touringseat which felt really good. Unfortunately due to the weather I could not testride the thing.

I think the bike looks fine with me on it. I was worried it would look very small.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
Devin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I two-up with mine and the previous inmate who owned it regularly did trips from Northern Ontario to Florida on it.

Two-up essential: Triumph King & Queen seat. Very comfy, though it came with and I never experienced the stock seat. It puts her up and gives you each a bit of room to roam in the saddle.

I have a GIVI screen on mine, I was told it will give you 2-3 better mpg's and really helps shoulders fatigue. Mine is slightly bigger than tbirdsp's, but they don't have to be huge to offer great help.

I forgot the name of the Avon's on my bike but they are wider than stock and aggressive thread pattern. It helps cornering at high speeds and at going through construction zones and dirt roads.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote