User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
Terrytori OP
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,837
A few words on my new KTM RC390

Let me start by hanging a frame around this.

I like light and lively.
I like small displacement.
I've owned both the 250, 300 and 400 Ninja ( yeah we got that sucker up here )

I have another scoot in the garage . So i do not require the RC 390 to do anything more than quickly navigate the twisty roads that surround my home.

A few years back, I went cross continent on a a 250 Ninja so I'm no stranger to ass pain and the limitations of 1/4 litre displacement.

My feelings for the RC390 are generally good and really aren't coloured by the fact that after a short highway blast yesterday , it tossed up all its' neon green glycol cookies in the driveway.

So here are the headlines.

As a sporting tool , I would clearly give the nod to the RC 390.

As a commuting / get my ass out of town for a long weekend, I would choose the 300 Ninja.

If smoothness is on your list, choose the Ninja.

If you can no longer touch your toes or you walk like a duck when you get out of bed first thing in the morning, choose the Ninja.

In fact, if you imagine anything other than thrust and parry style riding, over relatively short distances... choose the Ninja.

Things I like about The RC 390

* The power of its motor.
* Its' near prescient turn in
* Its' styling
* It's weigh / power to weigh ratio

Things I'm less than big on.

* It's seat ( 90 minutes.. tops for me )
* The heaviness of the clutch lever ( not Monster heavy but more than one would expect from this category . )
* General ergonomics. Want to eleviate that weight on your wrists... ride faster )
* The small fuel tank

A lot of reviewers have written about the quality feel of the RC 390 Vs. the competition . I don't see it. I think the overall design helps promote a quality feel but it looks and feels way too plasticy for my liking.

I would actually give the edge to the new Yamaha and Honda in this department with the Ninja and its' steel tank feeling a little more buttoned down to me.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,692
I like the looks, but I could not get it if you like it and would buy it again?

Enjoy it!

Damasovi
Old 06-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
micah360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Have you made it past break-in yet?

I thought the seat was kinda hard at first too... but now I don't notice it as much. I was also right there with you on the wrist pressure, but that seemed to subside too... maybe I just needed a bit to break-in to the bike and it's riding position.

Here's a shot of mine

micah360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
lemming
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I am not a sport bike guy, generally, but the RC is a damn fine looking machine. I am likely acquiring a ninja 300 in the very near future, for all the reasons you point to, but there is a substantial portion of my brain that wants the RC. The ninja really felt perfect for me when I rode it, though, and the CBR 300 felt too forward a position, so I'm pretty sure the RC would be no bueno for me.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,123
Glad you like it.
To my eyes it looked better put-together, "in person", than what some other posters would have one believe.
I personally could not live with those ergos.
Best of luck with it!
B02S4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,075
it's not often a new owner gives a review that sounds like they aren't happy drinking the kool aid.

Good on ya!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
That's about exactly what I would have expected from the analysis. I've loved my Katooms, but they're no longer worth it to me for the daily grind. Great bikes and they're capable of more performance than most of their class rivals (in whatever class you're speaking of), but they also require more of you. Since I don't push it on the road any more, it's just not worth the money, discomfort, and inconvenience.

Then, again, I've been there, done that, and may just be getting lazy/content about it all. Ride what you love.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
My feelings for the RC390 are generally good and really aren't coloured by the fact that after a short highway blast yesterday , it tossed up all its' neon green glycol cookies in the driveway.
Ok, but mine might be. More details?

A web search gives a lot of hits for "RC390 overheated".
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
Terrytori OP
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Ok, but mine might be. More details?

A web search gives a lot of hits for "RC390 overheated".

David... had a double whammy yesterday. Went for about a 100 mile scoot along the coast , stopping for lunch about mid way. Upon returning to the bike after lunch I noticed that the right front turn signal stock had slipped its mount... the nut was hanging from the wire on the inside of the fairing. Temporarily elastic tied it to the fairing.

Rode the last 10 miles to town on the highway most often travelling 10 to 20 klicks over the limit.

Pulled into the driveway ... returned to the bike about 10 minutes later to find a big green pool under the belly pan.

I'm thinking that the PDI was a little lacking. I thought maybe a hose clamp let loose. The dealer picked it up this morning. I'm waiting to hear.