Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #1681
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
I REALLY thought about getting a Hyper, but finally decided (right or wrong) that it's a little too specialized for a guy that only has one bike.
That's funny. I have multiple bikes and the Hyper gets the nod the majority of the time. That might say more about the focus of my other bikes than it does about the hyper though.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #1682
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
That's funny. I have multiple bikes and the Hyper gets the nod the majority of the time. That might say more about the focus of my other bikes than it does about the hyper though.
I had a KTM 950 SM before the Tuono. I was T boned by a car (luckily at low speed) that toasted it after having it for a year. It was a lot of fun, but way focused.

Tuono is better on the freeway, has more power, and is a bit more stable.

Katoom was more in your face, crazy good at lower speeds, would hop curbs/handle obstacles easily. I wondered about the long term reliability too. I think the Tuono/Rotax motor will be bullet proof.

That said, I still miss the KTM, and the Hyper may be even better.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #1683
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Got any pics of your Hyper?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #1684
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl of Portchester View Post
Purchased new by me in October 2007, used in all weathers. Now with a little under 14000 miles on the clock.
Most of my riding is with my wife pillion.

With Givi Cases
Dood - you need to get out and ride more - that poor Griso is almost broken in at 14K miles. Now's the time to let her scream.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #1685
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Got any pics of your Hyper?
Not many. It's a 100% stock 796 Hypermotard so I haven't bothered. I've thought about modding it some but I kinda like having it completely stock as a counterpoint to the guys who claim any Ducati needs thousands of dollars worth of modes to be rideable.

Given a choice of colors this was my least favorite, but I didn't have choice so there ya go. I'm over it now. I also own a spraygun and know how to use it so color isn't a big factor in my decision process.

The only other pic I have of it is to show how small my 160 is.

I'm pretty sure both of these have been seen in this thread already???
Old 02-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #1686
Earl of Portchester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
Dood - you need to get out and ride more - that poor Griso is almost broken in at 14K miles. Now's the time to let her scream.

jdg
Thats good advice that I intend to follow, work/family commitments permitting.
Earl of Portchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #1687
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not many. It's a 100% stock 796 Hypermotard so I haven't bothered. I've thought about modding it some but I kinda like having it completely stock as a counterpoint to the guys who claim any Ducati needs thousands of dollars worth of modes to be rideable.

Given a choice of colors this was my least favorite, but I didn't have choice so there ya go. I'm over it now. I also own a spraygun and know how to use it so color isn't a big factor in my decision process.

The only other pic I have of it is to show how small my 160 is.

I'm pretty sure both of these have been seen in this thread already???
Really nice. I might have chosen red, given the choice, but would be fine with it in black too. Really nice bike. I haven't ridden one, but sat on both displacement versions at the dealer. The smaller seemed a little too small to me, but I'm 6'2" and pretty long limbed, so YMMV.

What don't you like about it? Seat get uncomfortable after a couple of tanks of gas? How is it on the slab at 75 + MPH - windblast and stability? Does it get hot in traffic? Thanks for posting the pic, it's a beauty!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #1688
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 853
May be a re post, but it's from my Summer of 2011 trip out west. Played tag with my friend from Utah on his Duc along the million dollar hwy.

bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #1689
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
Ducati doesn't allow just anyone to join the club, those that get turned away buy Aprilias. I should know better than to compliment you guys.
we, the Aprilia riders aka Lionheads, miss the "desmorizing" treatment by the dealers and the Starbucks show-up. You know the membership previledges. Meanwhile we are forced to ride our bullet proof V2 Rotax without concern about the valve adjustments. Too bad to have reliable bikes... we no choice other to ride them...
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #1690
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Quote:
Really nice. I might have chosen red, given the choice, but would be fine with it in black too. Really nice bike. I haven't ridden one, but sat on both displacement versions at the dealer. The smaller seemed a little too small to me, but I'm 6'2" and pretty long limbed, so YMMV.

What don't you like about it? Seat get uncomfortable after a couple of tanks of gas? How is it on the slab at 75 + MPH - windblast and stability? Does it get hot in traffic? Thanks for posting the pic, it's a beauty!
I'm about 5' 10" and the fit is fine. I wouldn't want a taller seat on it.

What don't I like about it... I wish the seat were flatter so I could slide back a little more. Other than that I'd say it's pretty comfy but you're getting off of it every 100 miles or so anyway to get gas. I wish the shift lever was a little longer, it's hard to get my toe underneath it so I think I shift with the side of my boot most often. It's one of those things I do't think about anymore but I noticed it when it was new, and people who ride the bike have commented too.

I was pleasantly surprised at the relatively limited amount of windblast at highway speeds. No, it's not like sitting behind a Goldwing's windscreen, but it is a HECK of a lot better than my "standard" style 750GT is. The 750 beats me up at 75-80. The hyper does not. (though again I'm only 5' 10") Stability is fine. I've never noticed it getting hot but I avoid riding in heavy traffic.

The gearing is a bit high but not enough to change right away, when the chain wears I'll switch to something different.

The front end is not top shelf. I got rid of a 900ss to buy this, and the 900ss had a modified front end that was IMHO excellent, so I'm spoiled. There is a <$100 "fix" for the 796 front end that I'll probably try but so far haven't been energetic enough to get around too. Yeah, I can tell it's not fantastic but it's not nearly as bad as some will lead you to believe either. It's better than a stock 900ss/cr fork, in fact in most ways it's better than a stock set up on a 996 if you ride on bumpy roads. Hello... I'm in Michigan. All the roads here suck. The BIG disadvantage to the 796 fork is you can't easily modify it. Other than changing the spring and the oil there's not much you can do with the stock parts.

I thought I wanted a Monster but bought the Hyper instead because A) it was on sale and B) it was different than anything else I owned. Basically I gambled on it. If I had known I would end up liking it so much I MAY Have considered the bigger hyper instead, in very large part because of the suspension. BUT... I couldn't afford the larger bike at the time so it was the 796 or nothing. I'm glad I bought it. It's my "normal" bike that gets the most use and as something to knock around on it's great. It's not a superbike. It won't loft the front end shifting into third at 80mph. It won't outhandle a CBR600. It won't win Paris-Dakar. It also cost under $10k out the door, including taxes, license, set up, freight, everything.

I have a 25 mile commute. One night on the way home from work I started laughing, three times, for no apparent reason. It's simply a fun bike, sort of like an overgrown scooter.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #1691
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm about 5' 10" and the fit is fine. I wouldn't want a taller seat on it.

I have a 25 mile commute. One night on the way home from work I started laughing, three times, for no apparent reason. It's simply a fun bike, sort of like an overgrown scooter.
That's pretty much says it all, doesn't it? All in, your experience sounds a lot like my KTM, although it had pretty good (WP) suspension kit and I think the reliability may be better with the Duc. I have a new rear shock that I just got for the Tuono that I'm really anxious to get installed. Thanks for the write up.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #1692
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
That's pretty much says it all, doesn't it? All in, your experience sounds a lot like my KTM, although it had pretty good (WP) suspension kit and I think the reliability may be better with the Duc. I have a new rear shock that I just got for the Tuono that I'm really anxious to get installed. Thanks for the write up.
What shock did you get for the Tuono?

'09 Tuono
x- '05 Ducati ST3 stolen
x- '04 Tiger sold
x- '02 Daytona sold
x- '99 Sprint ST RIP
x- '95 Sprint RIP
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #1693
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Sometimes less is more. I bought a BMW F800R as a stop gap on a whim last year and rode it more than all my other bikes, not because it was faster, better, flashier, but just because it was easy and fun, in a way a bigger bikes so often aren't. I'm just in the process of swapping a few of my bikes around, and guess what, it's not a stop gap any more.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #1694
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmotogear View Post
What shock did you get for the Tuono?
I got the Penske - 8987 IIRC. Spendy, but it should make a really nice difference. The stock rear is undersprung for me (I'm about 190 lbs.) and doesn't have much adjustability. It's been raining here a lot, but I hope to get it installed next weekend.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #1695
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
I got the Penske - 8987 IIRC. Spendy, but it should make a really nice difference. The stock rear is undersprung for me (I'm about 190 lbs.) and doesn't have much adjustability. It's been raining here a lot, but I hope to get it installed next weekend.
May take a look at it. The guy who set my suspension agreed with your statement as well but I have 40 lbs. over you.

Thanks for the info.

(end of hijack)

'09 Tuono
x- '05 Ducati ST3 stolen
x- '04 Tiger sold
x- '02 Daytona sold
x- '99 Sprint ST RIP
x- '95 Sprint RIP
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote