Near The Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Magnificent!
RedDogAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #1262
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,234
My latest Duc

After waiting two years for delivery (importing a bike from Canada when you're on the wrong coast is a challenge), here is my latest Duc:

It's a 1974 750 Sport (not SS), converted into a race bike, with Desmo heads, stainless upswept exhaust, a rare NCR dry clutch set-up, and an gorgeous alloy tank.

Now to carefully dismantle the bike and go through it piece by piece - this looks to be a very long restoration project leading to a vintage race bike. Wish me luck!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #1263
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
After waiting two years for delivery (importing a bike from Canada when you're on the wrong coast is a challenge), here is my latest Duc:

Now to carefully dismantle the bike and go through it piece by piece - this looks to be a very long restoration project leading to a vintage race bike. Wish me luck!

Wow, that makes me feel funny down there.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #1264
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,657
If you don't properly restore that bike after finding it like that, I will personally drive to California and beat the ever-loving shit out of you.

A-MAZING bike, dude. LOVE those 750's... then again... my opinion is biased.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #1265
Alti Tude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
That is fantastic!!!
Alti Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #1266
Alti Tude
Gnarly Adventurer

If ya wanna get stoopid, then this could be the bike for you!

A 1980 MkI Montjuic, based on a factory race bike, built and conceived by a couple of mad Brits, and still considered one of the most anti social "production" bikes built.
The original Jota was the brainchild of Richard and Roger Slater, owners of Slater Laverda and the UK Laverda importer. They had the original idea of using some factory race parts to hot up the standard Laverda 3C creating the Jota. They did it again with the Montjuic, but this time got a little out of control...
The Montjuic is built on Laverda's standard, mild, slow, and over priced 500 Alpino, which really didn't sell very well. The Slaters looked at the Alpino and saw the basis for a really nice cafe racer, and they looked at Laverdas 500 Formula (a bike built for a single mark race series) as the source for more horsepower. Montjuics have high compression pistons, Formula cams and exhaust systems, and in some, the Formula's 6 speed close ratio transmission.
The cams are a full race grind and idling is optional. Power comes on late, up around 5000rpm or so but real power is up in the 8000-9500 range. The exhaust system was designed for the track and has minimal sound suppression. These things aren't just loud, they reach out and slap little old ladies in Buicks. Its actually pretty obnoxious, especially at a stop light when your blipping the throttle like your on the grid for a 250GP (remember, it probably wont feel like idling).
What a Monty is good for though is riding fast. At 8500rpm that noise is music, a wailing call to the gods. The bike weighs less than 400lbs and handles like a little GP bike. The narrow power band makes the close ratio transmission perfect. The most fun I ever had on any race track was flogging my Monty around Willow Springs. Its amazing. You have to pay attention, as torque wont save your lazy ass. It rails around curves, and odd as it might sound, it doesn't make too much power so you can flog it hard and not get into too much trouble. Just pure fun.
Unfortunately, due to the noise and idling issues I no longer ride mine on the street (much). When I lived in Southern California I rode it regularly and had a good deal of fun on it up on the Angeles Crest Hwy. Where I live now though is much quieter and the little beast is just too much. Its a statement of just how much fun it is to ride that I'm willing to keep it even though I'll probably only get out on it maybe once a year, or less. Its always worth the wait!

Modifications? Ohlins shocks, Witt ignition, and Mikuni 34mm RS flatslides

Old 06-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #1267
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 355
That takes me back a bit. When I had a Laverda Jota, my girl friend sold her 450 Ducati and bought a Montjuic - the noise really was something else. I wasn't too keen on the handling, but that was on the original Marzocchis (my Jota was nothing to write home about in that department either) So there you have it, a girl's bike!
She went on to buy a 900SS bevel after that, and a knackered 750 Laverda SF... Strange days.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #1268
Mastheadmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post

It's a 1974 750 Sport (not SS), converted into a race bike, with Desmo heads, stainless upswept exhaust, a rare NCR dry clutch set-up, and an gorgeous alloy tank.

Wow...that is a gorgeous find! What's the condition of it right now? It looks at least have been rode hard...and put away nicely to say the least. As for that tank, I'm in love. There's a lot of wishing and dreaming for a mass run of alloy tanks for the current Sport Classic line on the Ducati forum I frequent. Good luck with the resto!

Everything else is secondary to manual transmissions, automatic watches and beautiful women showing off both
Mastheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:31 AM   #1269
Vince
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Gee I wonder what other Laverdas he might have,holding his breath
Come on Ed,blow that Bevel away.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #1270
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastheadmike View Post
Wow...that is a gorgeous find! What's the condition of it right now? It looks at least have been rode hard...and put away nicely to say the least. As for that tank, I'm in love. There's a lot of wishing and dreaming for a mass run of alloy tanks for the current Sport Classic line on the Ducati forum I frequent. Good luck with the resto!
It's a former race bike, not a street bike, but honestly I am still surprised at the good condition of the bike. Even the old fiberglass is in pretty good shape. I am expecting to take it all apart, and then take a really good look at the engine internals. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

I love the alloy tank - and I know well the (sometimes painful) efforts on Ducati.ms about trying to arrange an alloy tank run for the modern bikes. But honestly, the upswept pipes are what puts it over the top for me.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #1271
sfc1k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Nods.

It's the spectacular one next, isn't it?
sfc1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #1272
Alti Tude
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Not sure I can do that Vince, that bevel grabs me hard. Back in the day I spent quite a bit of time with bevel Ducs, I'd love to have one.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #1273
Alti Tude
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbadog View Post
That takes me back a bit. When I had a Laverda Jota, my girl friend sold her 450 Ducati and bought a Montjuic - the noise really was something else. I wasn't too keen on the handling, but that was on the original Marzocchis (my Jota was nothing to write home about in that department either) So there you have it, a girl's bike!
She went on to buy a 900SS bevel after that, and a knackered 750 Laverda SF... Strange days.
Why oh why couldn't I ever meet a girl like that!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #1274
Alti Tude
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfc1k View Post
Nods.

It's the spectacular one next, isn't it?

You guys been sneaking around my garage of something??
Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #1275
Vince
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alti Tude View Post
Not sure I can do that Vince, that bevel grabs me hard. Back in the day I spent quite a bit of time with bevel Ducs, I'd love to have one.
I wouldnt kick it out of the shed,the dry cluch is preitty impresive,but I know whats comming up.Your fame precedes you,well the Lance bike does anyway
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote