Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #151
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomama
I like to do cut and paste photos kind of as a signature on my blog...
http://ruggedrider.com/blog/ , so this cheap photo editing solution was the way to go for me.
Those are a hoot! I can only imagine if you went back and 'revisited' some of your pics in this RR.

Thanks much!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #152
maynard58
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Great Report
maynard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:11 PM   #153
Mtnjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Nice report. I have backpacked and cooked in a thermos. I heat water in the Am and put my dehydrated veggies and jerky in the thermos. First I boil water then preheat the wide mouth thermos, then add the dinner and refill with the heated water I emptied back into the pot. Add some spices, seal it and it's ready to eat. Breakfast is a whole grain mix of wheat, barley, oats, coconut, dried fruits and dry milk. When I finish dinner I boil water, clean the thermos and put breakfast in. It leaves meals and clean up to a minimum and I can eat it for a week with no problems.
Mtnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #154
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 468
Moola spent on the trip

Now we get down to the nitty gritty on being able to get out of the garage for an adventure ride in this economy.

I spent a total of $241.13 on the road. And, that included...
  • Gas
  • water
  • 4 overnighters in campgrounds (2 of the six camp nights I wasn't asked to pay. Joshua Tree and one night at Manzanita in Sedona)
  • Entry to 2 Nat'l Parks
  • Tip at Rocking V Cafe in Kanab, UT
  • Cutting 1.5" off side stand
  • Clif Bars
  • Cookie at Jacob Lake Inn
  • AA battery 8 pack
  • Card reader for Olympus Stylus Tough
(does not include the mods I did to my bike for the trip, nor the cost of food and gear utilized on the trip)

If I can squeeze this out, while starting a business, then anyone can.

So, you say for $241.13 I can get this...

It's unbelievable that a trip of this magniture in beauty, adventure, excitement, fun, enlightenment, humility, freedom and independence can be so affordable.

So, the next time you hole yourself up in your home to ride out the recession think about hopping on your bike to do it.

nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 AM   #155
Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
WOW!!

*All* of the scenery in that picture is beautiful.

Tom
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #156
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Well done, Nico!! .. glad you enjoyed sedona.. that is a lovely hike by cathedral rock. Your ride report was very good.. i like your style. It is hard to not wax eloquent with the kinds of scenery you had for inspiration, i'm sure you'll agree!

What to bring.. is always a work in progress.. my list varies with the ride, & changes with the seasons & moods. Sometimes we miss stuff.. sometimes we loathe it.

Congratulations again on a great ride.. i'm sure this is just the beginning of many more to come! It's nice to have an 'adventure sister' in the fold..

PS.. i find myself having different photo storage sites.. it seems yours are so popular now, you've run out of bandwidth! i'm too cheap to pay for the unlimited ones..

scotty
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #157
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek
Well done, Nico!! .. glad you enjoyed sedona.. that is a lovely hike by cathedral rock. Your ride report was very good.. i like your style. It is hard to not wax eloquent with the kinds of scenery you had for inspiration, i'm sure you'll agree!

What to bring.. is always a work in progress.. my list varies with the ride, & changes with the seasons & moods. Sometimes we miss stuff.. sometimes we loathe it.

Congratulations again on a great ride.. i'm sure this is just the beginning of many more to come! It's nice to have an 'adventure sister' in the fold..

PS.. i find myself having different photo storage sites.. it seems yours are so popular now, you've run out of bandwidth! i'm too cheap to pay for the unlimited ones..

scotty
Scotty,

I was thinking of you as I enjoyed your backyard in Sedona. Wow, you have really figured out what's most important in this life and how to get it. There are a lot of beautiful cities in this world of ours, but you live in one of the more magical ones. Good for you.

My Best to all of you ADV brothers and sisters,
Nicole
Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #158
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,858
AWESOME
Amazing scenery, Miss Nico. Bravo! Bravo!!

Desert Southwest is high on my list of must do rides, right behind coastal Northern California and Labrador/New Foundland (going there next summer if everything works out!)

Love the headlight mod, too!!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #159
mark2wheeler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
inspiring report

Regarding your foot oder from the boots.At one time I had extremely stinky feet.Even after a shower with clean socks.After a few hours my feet would stink big time.It was the bacteria.My wife sugested anti-persperant on the soles of my feet.It worked.Stopped the sweating.The bacteria died.You have to use anti-persperant not just deoderant.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #160
Mike JRA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Great RR, I was in that area last year and your photo's took me back again.

One more point on your elbow and wrist, go see a sports based physiotherapist. I have continuing problems with my elbows and wrists because of my job. I did an 8K km ride last fall with a misdiagnosed broken scaphiod (job again) using a cramp buster for the throttle, and after returning went to see my physio. They fixed me up using different methods and then restrengthened my arm and wrist. The best thing that came out of it all was that they fixed my tennis elbow and gave me specific stretches and exercises to keep things under control. Each person and injury is different so having a good physiotherapist that will work with other doctors, like chiropractic, is key.

06 KLR
81 GL1100 naked
80 XL185
Mike JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #161
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Dec Long Beach Moto Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley
Are you planning on selling your products at the Long Beach motorcycle show in December.
Dudley
Dudley,

I will be at the show on Saturday, Dec 5th, passing out DRZ rack ads and wearing a Rugged Rider t-shirt. Look for me. I'd love to meet you guys.

Here's my daughter Alana at the '07 show. An adventure rider in the making...

Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #162
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
If you remember, stop out at the demo area, we will be providing demos for Victory motorcycles. We go from 8:30 till 4 or so.
D

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #163
snowbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Loved the RR

Your kids are sweethearts - can't fathom where they got the cute looks!

Thanks for all the details, it really helps the rest of us with planning. We've been camping for years but usually with the luxury of a canoe to carry stuff in. So your detailed lists and assessments are very useful.

Back to the 8" headlights (someone asked earlier, but I didn't see a response). What are these and who supplies? My wife and I may get DRZ's in a year or two and I really like the idea of lots of lighting. We're riding BMW 1200's now - comfy but not so good for single track. If we do we'll sure be planning to get your cool tail rack; nice design!

A tip on the shoes - dryer sheets overnight; just stuff one in each boot. Along with the foot spray/powder it's done wonders for us. The dryer sheets take zero space, we just bring along a few in a zip lock. Another thought - they make fairly cheap food dryers that work of electric wall power and run a fan over the warm food. Not too expensive and faster than a long bake in an oven.

Your RR was really fun and the pics outstanding. Thanks again and I'm already anxious for the next one. (Good luck with the wrist.)

rw
snowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #164
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpeebles
Your kids are sweethearts - can't fathom where they got the cute looks!

Thanks for all the details, it really helps the rest of us with planning. We've been camping for years but usually with the luxury of a canoe to carry stuff in. So your detailed lists and assessments are very useful.

Back to the 8" headlights (someone asked earlier, but I didn't see a response). What are these and who supplies? My wife and I may get DRZ's in a year or two and I really like the idea of lots of lighting. We're riding BMW 1200's now - comfy but not so good for single track. If we do we'll sure be planning to get your cool tail rack; nice design!

A tip on the shoes - dryer sheets overnight; just stuff one in each boot. Along with the foot spray/powder it's done wonders for us. The dryer sheets take zero space, we just bring along a few in a zip lock. Another thought - they make fairly cheap food dryers that work of electric wall power and run a fan over the warm food. Not too expensive and faster than a long bake in an oven.

Your RR was really fun and the pics outstanding. Thanks again and I'm already anxious for the next one. (Good luck with the wrist.)

rw
RW,

Thanks for the compliments and great boot tips. I'm gonna pm ya about the 8" Baja Designs Sol Tek headlight.

I actually had one of those electric food dehydrators that I got from Target. I prefer the oven, though, because you don't have to mess with those slotted trays and can easily stir the stuff around in a large pyrex baking dish. Plus, it doesn't take up counter space.

As for the wrist, it's improving every day. But, in the beginning right after the trip I couldn't accomplish fine motor skills at all. I definitely need to go get the solutions that you guys posted on this thread before my next trip.

Cheers!
Old 11-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #165
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Please don't PM, I'm very interested in who makes the windscreen as I'm sure others are as well.

Is it a secret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomama
RW,

Thanks for the compliments and great boot tips. I'm gonna pm ya about the 8" Baja Designs Sol Tek headlight.

I actually had one of those electric food dehydrators that I got from Target. I prefer the oven, though, because you don't have to mess with those slotted trays and can easily stir the stuff around in a large pyrex baking dish. Plus, it doesn't take up counter space.

As for the wrist, it's improving every day. But, in the beginning right after the trip I couldn't accomplish fine motor skills at all. I definitely need to go get the solutions that you guys posted on this thread before my next trip.

Cheers!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote