User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #91
TheFryedaddy
Roadflogger

Oddometer: 20
Thumb Great ride

Enjoyed your adventure, I liked the way you had everything organized. I hope your designs do well.
TheFryedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #92
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 468
Grand Canyon adventure reflection

So, time to dig into the nuts and bolts of the trip. What worked. What didn't, and things I hadn't heard of until they hit me on this trip.

First off, lets explore the ol' "tossarooni" pile...
  • Tri-pod
The first thing to go next time is the tri-pod. Even though it's a lightweight one, space is at a premium, and I think even the best photogs out there can get creative with camera mounts like I did.

Although I must add, do this at your own risk. I backed up into a cactus, while balancing my SLR on a thorn bush branch and bending over to look into the viewfinder. That's one bruise accounted for.
  • Thermarest Trekker frame for sleeping pad
Alright, even though it was super nice to sit on a warm pad and have a back rest while sitting on a concrete picnic bench typing up my ride report I could have just as easily sat on my Thermarest dry towel folded up.
  • Down Travel Pillow
This was just decadence and I knew it! But, let me tell you, my ears never got numb from lying too long on a wadded up fleece jacket.
  • Eco Candle Lantern
Besides leaving black soot all over my gear, this had no purpose in some of the windy weather that was dished out to me on this trip. Although, one night I did ditch the lantern and burned a bare candle on a leaf after my headlamp batteries died and I had already used the spares.

I lived by the headlamp nightly, and very cunningly situated myself next to camping families that loved to bon-fire the night away.

One family in particular that I will never forget is the large multi-generational family in Sedona that in the camping spirit of things told a continuous story that was told part by part from each person in the group, including the 4 year old. I was so impressed by their creativity to keep all members of the family engaged and enjoying nature. That is until they finished the story and then whipped out the tv. Yes, you heard me. A TV!!!!! I tried to surreptitiously take a picture of this mesmerized bunch sitting next to a lapping creek watching the boob tube. Never got the shot, though, because they kept looking over when my flash would pop up. Darn.
  • Too many clothes
I didn't even wear my hiking shorts on my hike in Sedona. I wore space-saving workout pants, a wick-away tank and hiking boots. If I got cold before hitting the sack I just put on my rain pants. Done deal.

I took 3 workout bras. Over kill. Although, I had to wash socks once and never stayed in one place long enough for them to dry. So, I wore semi-wet socks one day. All part of the adventure.

What I did need that I didn't have was some way to keep my Sidi On Road waterproof, non-breathable boots from stinking to high heaven. I had to stay non-breathable when I would take them off.
  • Food
Test it before the trip. I dehydrated my own food, so I was baking whatever food I took at 150 degrees in the oven with a towel wedged in the door to keep the air circulating weeks in advance. I tried the organic egg powder as a scrambled egg mixed in with my tuna salad, but never had it alone. It stinks. Tasted like fish. So, adding rehydrated veggies (grated cauliflower, red pepper, brussel sprouts, onion and garlic sauteed in coconut oil with seasoning) made it paletable.

My beef jerky wasn't so tasty. I had cut it into bite sized pieces prior to baking. Not a good idea. Too chewy and hard. I'll have to research and practice making it before the next trip. I don't think you can over-marinade or over-season the meat. Also, the cut must be important for better results. I used a chuck steak. Not the best in my opinion.

Stay tuned for more trip analysis...
nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #93
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,531
Nice report. I enjoyed you attention to detail and your photos are beautiful.

Good luck on your business and I hope to see many more ride reports from you.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #94
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
Very nice ride report. It was a good short read. Short being compared to say the Mobius RR, which took three weeks to finish.

I am amazed at how much stuff you were able to get packed onto that bike and in those bags. Good job and thanks for sharing.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #95
Stravoxylo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
nice report & pics.

did the baklava in your tool kit come in handy?

stin igia!
Stravoxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #96
Michaelfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Thumb Very cool!

We did a similar route a month ago, my wife & I. I took her to the North Rim for her birthday & stayed a night in one of the cabins.

I made lots of points for this one.

After North Rim we rode to Page, South Rim, & a nite in Flagstaff. Next day we rode down 89A to Sedona, Jerome Prescott & then up to Bagdad & then Kingman.

We had a blast. Oatman was cool too.

Very fine report!!!

Fine job!
Ridgecrest, Kahliffoanya
Michaelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #97
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,378
Thanks

Nico, if you are ever riding the Crest, please give a PM....it's not distance, but it's a great group of people on some very great roads. I'm sure you've ridden them a bunch. Regardless, it's alway fun to meet neat people and share a bite on the hill.

Take care and thanks again.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #98
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,722
Excellent RR. Thanks for sharing!
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #99
DustyRoads
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Nice adventure ride. Wish I could be that organized.
DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #100
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,012
nicomama, very nice ride report and photos! I'm glad that you enjoyed the Rockin V in Kanab; we discovered it a few years ago and I always recommend it to people if they are going to be in the Kanab area. Also the Jacob Lake baked goodies.... Another fave of ours...

For stinky boots, I have found that Dr. Scholl's foot powder or Odor Eater's foot powder helps quite a bit. I bought a travel-size container of the Dr. Scholl's a few years ago (with the holes in the top for sprinkling the powder) and have since used the Odor Eater's to refill it. A good sprinkling of powder in the boots at night seems to make a big difference -- at least the boots aren't quite as objectionable!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #101
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 468
Windscreen setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
+1 please give us more info on that sweet light/windscreen setup
Now, for the deets on my windscreen setup. I did a lot of research looking for all the cool ones out there. As you DRZ owners know, there isn't one made especially for the DRZ. So, it's up to us to modify what we can find. I knew I didn't need a tall one, so I checked into the flyscreens, which are tiny windscreens to keep the flies off your face. Ha.

Wouldn't you know it. The only ones I liked were in England. It was worth it to me to pay for the shipping. Paid $119.95 for the Dart flyscreen that fits the Triumph Scrambler. The brackets that come with it have a good amount of play in them, because of the rubber grommets. All I had to do to fit it to my 8" headlight frame was buy a $2.99 mending brace at the local hardware store and have that cut into two 4" pieces with holes already in it...

Then I just spray painted my custom brackets black and bolted that baby right onto my headlight frame. I loved this setup on the road and in the wind. Saved my neck.

Finished product. See the black angled bracket with the hex bolts? That's my cheap solution...

nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #102
sab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomama
  • Down Travel Pillow
This was just decadence and I knew it! But, let me tell you, my ears never got numb from lying too long on a wadded up fleece jacket.
Fun report! I have the same pillow from REI and found I prefer the Thermarest version. I think it compacts a little more, but is much more pillow-like when expanded. It's foam filled. Decadence but worth it. :)
sab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #103
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,842
love the rr and pics.

thanks.........
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #104
Jonzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomama
My beef jerky wasn't so tasty. I had cut it into bite sized pieces prior to baking. Not a good idea. Too chewy and hard. I'll have to research and practice making it before the next trip. I don't think you can over-marinade or over-season the meat. Also, the cut must be important for better results. I used a chuck steak. Not the best in my opinion.

A huge factor in perceived tenderness of jerky is the direction the pieces are cut in relation to the grain of the meat. You may know, but if the meat is cut perpendicular to the grain then the pieces will practically fall apart in your mouth. Even the toughest cuts of round will be not too bad when cut this way. Oh the things I learned during my one year run at a slaughterhouse.

Thanks for the great ride report! It's interesting how much quicker solo reports flow. For obvious reasons of course. Solo is the way to go!

'07 Kawisaki KLR650
'82 Suzuki GS1100G
'73 Honda CB350G
Jonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #105
sam1905
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
We are all the same!

Great ride and report - thanks!

I always laugh when I read these because all us ADV'ers are the same. Its just not a trip until you have some kind of packing list (or in my and many cases a color coded spreadsheet) and a picture of everything laid out neatly! :)
Attached Images

2013 F150 FX4 to move it all around.
sam1905 is offline   Reply With Quote