User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
matteo OP
HPM

Oddometer: 498
/2 Conversion Thread

I've always thought of myself as a purest. My past restorations have always been about getting as close to original as possible. But when I look at my current garage, I've come to the realization that I love custom vintage bikes.

I'm looking for my next project now that my HP2 Old School project is starting to wind down (the end is in sight). Besides, why work on one project when you can work on two.

One of the other recent threads started to get on the subject of /2 conversions so I went looking for the /2 conversion thread. I could not find it, so let's start one.

I'm hoping jedcaum will give us a tour of his bike.

I found this site which looks to have some very good info.

Post your picture and give us some details. I'm ready to go and I'm looking for some technical advice.

matteo screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 11:45 AM
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Renner
rockin' the toaster

Oddometer: 2,206
subscribed

Uncle Ernie should be along shortly
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Dammit- now I have to start flipping Photobucket pages.
again

I'm "working" Back later...
Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,625
Heck, Unk, juts post a P'Bucket album and let 'em (us) flip thru it.

Here is mine: http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...oto/BMW%20R60/

-Zero- /2 content (unless you consider a /5 the "NextGen" /2), but this gives the idea. Might find a way to put that in my profile...
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/slash2conversions/
Old 09-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,797
Oh dear... I do have a soft spot for this... loved my /2, but ultimately really wanted/needed the "magic button..." cannot imagine a nicer classic bike than a black with white pinstripes, Earles fork, maybe a 60/6 engine.... sigh.....
Old 09-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Steve516
Guzzis R Us

Oddometer: 345
No technical advice, just a few pics, including a semi-conversion that's pretty cool, and starting with an excellent example of overkill

Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
Heck, Unk, juts post a P'Bucket album and let 'em (us) flip thru it.

Here is mine: http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...oto/BMW%20R60/

-Zero- /2 content (unless you consider a /5 the "NextGen" /2), but this gives the idea. Might find a way to put that in my profile...

Bill, I owe you dinner. I had amnesia and had forgotten why I don't offer up a whole album- but now I remember!

(I'm so happy)

Actually, I have 2 albums with almost 700 pictures- mostly of vintage photography and women on old bikes. You can already see most of them at that thread.

So- the bike. This may be the only solo shot I have? '78 R100, '82 wheels and stuff, /5 HL, stock /2 rear drive.

Today with '52 S500;

I have to pay people a lot of money to ride with me:

The piece of resistance. Mark Peters is Old World. If you know anything about sriping, you can see what a genious he is. Tears still come when I look at that woundrous simplicity.

So- had this bike put together about 16 years ago specifically for sidecar use. As I mentioned in another thread around here, fo solo use, I much prefer a stock /2. When Rosie goes (dog), I'm thinking seriously of try to trade the whole rig for a stock Solo bike I don't have to do anything to.

Hopefull Rosie will be around for another 20 years.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 704
Here's the one I built for a customer, now for sale at Bob's BMW:

There's some very good information in a two part article entitled "A Basic Guide to Building a 1955 to 1969 BMW R50-R69S Conversion" that was originally published in "The Vintage BMW Bulletin" - Summer 2005.
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
I much prefer a stock /2. When Rosie goes (dog), I'm thinking seriously of try to trade the whole rig for a stock Solo bike I don't have to do anything to.

Hopefull Rosie will be around for another 20 years.
When the time comes, I could buy the sidecar from you and you can keep the bike.

crazydrummerdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
matteo OP
HPM

Oddometer: 498
Thanks for all the pictures.

Does anyone know Brock Downey? Is he still modifying final drives for the /2 conversion? What does he do exactly?
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
jedcaum
Lucky, Lucky Bastard

Oddometer: 377
Several folks can do the conversion, as it isn't all that hard - some machining to make one or the other axle fit, and some machining and pressing to make the driveshaft fit. Boxerworks did one. Looks like Bob's BMW could set you up. Not sure about Brock, but he was active on the /2 conversion yahoo group for a long time.

Here's a link that might work to three different approaches from that site... http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rock%20Downey/

And here's another pic of my baby...

Doesn't she have a nice ass?
jedcaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Very good link there. Thanks ~

MISTER Dude; Hmmm

The body has been scraped and professionally painted- but not the frame. Dents on the aluminium trup strips where a lugage rack used to be collapsing on it, some strange rub marks on the front rail, and the seat is reupholstered. PM me what a realistic offer by someone of your standing in community might offer.
I'm getting kicked out, so Rosie may soon be a moot consideration.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
jedcaum
Lucky, Lucky Bastard

Oddometer: 377
Hmmm... the op asked for more info from me. Dangerous. Here's a PM that I sent to someone asking about the other little issues in making a conversion.

Hey there - sorry, I just saw your pm, and that the link is now down, so you either pulled the trigger on that bike, or it's gone already.

Anyway, I did explain the Brock Downey thing. He's the guy who did the swingarm conversion to use later final drive parts with a /2 swingarm. Makes it look right, and you can't just bolt up a /6 swingarm to a /2 frame. I don't know what that mod would take.

I don't have any pics of the swingarm better than what you see, but if you go the /2 conversions group on yahoo they have some files there that may help. All the stuff going on is on the inside or machining, anyway.

When you are looking at one, if the shock is bolted directly to the final drive, chances are it is a /2 final drive. The other way to tell is to feel the boot where the driveshaft meets the tranny - if it is really lumpy fore and aft, it is probably a conversion plate - about an inch of plate steel added to mate the shorter /2 driveshaft to the /6 tranny.

The other stuff? Regular sized batteries dont fit where the battery goes on a /2, so it will either be smaller (harder cranking in cold weather) or like mine, the frame may be dimpled on the places where the battery corners are to accept a regular sized motorcycle battery.

Oil changes can be tough, as the plate that covers the filter on a /6 motor is obscured ever so slightly by the bottom /2 frame rail. You can either drop the front of the motor every time you change the oil (big pain), use a shorter bolt and try to finagle it in there (still a pain - fine threads are tought to start straight in an alloy block even dead on, or, like mine, dimple the bottom outside curve of the frame to clear the top oil filter cover bolt.

Electrics can be done very well or very poorly. Some use the /6 speedo and bucket, which looks crap. Some use converted /2 bucket/speedo/tach, which looks right but can be problematic and too stripped down for some. Some use a /5 bucket like mine, which gives much of the look of the /2 bucket and much of the utility of modern electrics (board, fuses), but again, wiring is important for full utility. No keys either way except /6 - just a "nail." Easy to steal, but you can dead man switch the battery to confound thieves.

What else - pipes don't line up, /2 or /6, so look for some accomodation right around the pegs (shims, size changes, etc.) Can be prone to leaking exhaust right there.

Large capacity sport tank, double tapped so that you have a petcock on either side (have a radiator shop do it) is often used for its larger tunnel, as you have to find room for all the stuff that the smaller /2 engine either doesn't have or puts different places (solenoids, coils, etc.) In my case, the coils are mounted up inside the airbox - very slick IMO, and no worries with a tire slinging rain up under the tank.

Switchgear is anyone's guess, some prefer the older simpler stuff, but then you gotta figure out the highbeams and magic button. I'm running R65 gear, as well as an R65 front end and snowflake wheels (the latter being a big bear - ask Uncle Ernie. There are easier options for the pizza cutters.)

You can talk and talk and talk about these babies. Or at least I can. And you can do them a thousand different ways with different solutions for each little challenge or issue. No matter which way you do it, I think they're the cat's meow. The bee's knees. The yin for my yang. You know.

Never had a sweeter ride. Ok, maybe once or twice, honey.

jedcaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #15
Renner
rockin' the toaster

Oddometer: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
As I mentioned in another thread around here, for solo use, I much prefer a stock /2... I'm thinking seriously of try to trade the whole rig for a stock Solo bike I don't have to do anything to.
We should talk.

I've wanted a conversion rig for years but am reluctant to re-engine a good R60/2.
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote