User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
mcbagpiper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
MT250 question

Anyone here familiar with the 1974 Honda MT250 Elsinore? I'm in the process of rebuilding one and I've got an electrical question.

The left side engine case (magneto cover) has a wiring harness that runs from the magneto to the main wiring connection on the frame. Where the wiring emerges from the engine there's a rubber grommet that sits between the cover and the case. However, before the wiring exits the engine case (i.e. just south of the grommet) there's one green/red wire that comes out of the harness on its own (about 2" in length) which based on the wiring diagram is meant to connect to the neutral switch. When neutral is selected the switch is supposed to complete the circuit and light the neutral indicator on the dash.

What I can't figure out is how to connect this wire to the switch. The wire is stripped/exposed at the end and doesn't look like it had a connector attached (i.e. wires are spread). I don't recall it being pulled off of anything during removal of the cover, and I can't see any obvious mounting point on the neutral switch itself.

So, either (1) the previous owner had cut/disconnected the wire (but given the stripped exposed wires I'm not sure that's likely) or (2) there's something missing and I need a specific connector. I don't think it uses a rubber boot to connect the wire to the switch end as it's not exposed like some of the other models around that vintage, or (3) the wire just sits between the case cover and the switch . When I reinstall the case cover the wire ends up right at the end of the switch but it doesn't seem right that this exposed wire just sits there on its own??

I've looked at the shop manual, but it's from 1974 so the pictures aren't very clear and they don't really cover this item in detail. I've also looked at various part diagrams on the supplier websites and it just shows the wire but no end or attachment.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated!

Previous rides - 01 CBR600 F4i, 02 RC51, 03 ZX6RR, 05 CBR954RR, 07 CBR600RR, 08 Hypermotard 1100S, 09 F800GS
10 Z1000, 10 ZX-10R
mcbagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,177
On Honda horizontal singles, the neutral connection is usually under the left side countershaft sprocket cover on the left-rear of the engine, the contact is usually above the counter shaft.

Been years (decades ) since I owned an MT, so I've going with what Honda does for usual practice. It's normally tied to a rotating contact under a plastic cap/contactor at the end of the shifting fork's cam-drum. If you can get a local shop to find a microfiche of the exploded view of the engine..

Or just start pulling the left side covers off.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #3
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 307
This is going to be hard to explain...

There were some neutral switches where the bared (and tinned IIIRC) wire end was trapped by spring tension. Think of a bolt with a washer and spring between the bolt head and nut. Now imagine a hole drilled through the bolt shank just under the head. You could push on the washer, compressing the spring and exposing the hole. If you put the wire in the hole and released the washer, spring tension would squeeze the wire between the washer and bolt head. That's the concept. Look for something near the outer end of the switch that you can push towards the centre of the engine against a spring, then look for a hole to slip the wire into. Clear as mud?
Old 01-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #4
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpforth View Post
There were some neutral switches where the bared (and tinned IIIRC) wire end was trapped by spring tension. Think of a bolt with a washer and spring between the bolt head and nut. Now imagine a hole drilled through the bolt shank just under the head. You could push on the washer, compressing the spring and exposing the hole. If you put the wire in the hole and released the washer, spring tension would squeeze the wire between the washer and bolt head. That's the concept. Look for something near the outer end of the switch that you can push towards the centre of the engine against a spring, then look for a hole to slip the wire into. Clear as mud?
Yep, I think this is correct, my 1972 XL250 Moto sport had this setup on it!
Attached Images

sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM   #5
mcbagpiper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Awesome, thanks guys! The last pic looks like the neutral switch end I'm dealing with. I'll look for the place to insert the wire end...

Previous rides - 01 CBR600 F4i, 02 RC51, 03 ZX6RR, 05 CBR954RR, 07 CBR600RR, 08 Hypermotard 1100S, 09 F800GS
10 Z1000, 10 ZX-10R
mcbagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM   #6
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
Yep, I think this is correct, my 1972 XL250 Moto sport had this setup on it!
Yes, that is the type I was thinking of.