Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #2416
RoughReady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
My 1960 R50/2 which I pulled out of the shed where it's been for the last couple of years. I originally bought it with the intention of restoring it and possibly putting an R75/6 engine into it. I'm now trying to decide if I should instead sell it or part it out as I have two other airhead projects in the garage that I want to complete first. Or I may just keep it. I hate to part it out but it needs a lot more work than can be seen in the photo (which actually makes it look pretty good) but I can use the money to devote to completing the restoration of my first BMW (an R60/5) and also getting my 1983 R100RS Luftmeister Turbo on the road. Anyway, it's back in the shed waiting for me to make up my mind once again.
RoughReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #2417
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Parting it out would be stupid and selfish, then nobody can get her on the road. I say sell to someone willing to keep her together.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #2418
RoughReady
Gnarly Adventurer

That's the way I feel about it as well but there are so many unknowns about its' mechanical condition, numerous missing parts, nuts and bolts, etc., non-matching engine/frame numbers. I bought it on an impulse because I'd always wanted to have a /2 but, knowing what I know now about its overall condition and effort required to get it back on the road I would probably not have bought it, at least for what I paid for it. It did come with a spare R69S motor that looks like it has seen better days (no pistons, heads and barrels off, etc). Anyway, I don't contemplate making any kind of move with it in the immediate future and, who know's, my original desire to get her back on the road my become re-energized.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #2419
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Well the non running, missing/wrong parts are what makes it an interesting project. A rewarding challenge that can be lots of fun.
Most of mine start off much worse than what you show in the picture.

Don't start on it until you have the time and funds to finish it, for now it would look great in the garage or living room, just go out and sit on it occasionally and make motorcycle noises. Very cool looking bike.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #2420
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville
for now it would look great in the garage or living room, just go out and sit on it occasionally and make motorcycle noises. Very cool looking bike.

+1
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #2421
RoughReady
Gnarly Adventurer

Sage advice regarding initiating said restoration. Since there is no more room in my half of the garage for another bike (actually, I could probably squeeze one more in but I'm keeping that slot open for elbow room and "just in case" my "dream" bike turns up-whatever that might be) I could try to talk the wife into letting me put the /2 in the living room right next to her baby grand piano. The likelihood of that happening (or even making such a proposal) is far less than that of me moving it into the bedroom (after switching the king size bed for a twin). Of course, at least that way I could make those vroom vroom noises in my sleep without disturbing the little lady.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #2422
CoolValley
n00b

Oddometer: 6
my '82 GL1100S

CoolValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #2423
CoolValley
n00b

a bike from here in k.c.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #2424
CoolValley
n00b

another one

Old 11-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #2425
CoolValley
n00b

and one more. have no idea what it is.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #2426
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughReady
That's the way I feel about it as well but there are so many unknowns about its' mechanical condition, numerous missing parts, nuts and bolts, etc., non-matching engine/frame numbers. I bought it on an impulse because I'd always wanted to have a /2 but, knowing what I know now about its overall condition and effort required to get it back on the road I would probably not have bought it, at least for what I paid for it. It did come with a spare R69S motor that looks like it has seen better days (no pistons, heads and barrels off, etc). Anyway, I don't contemplate making any kind of move with it in the immediate future and, who know's, my original desire to get her back on the road my become re-energized.
I will tell you the true beauty of this bike is that it is not quite right, so its numbers don't match, so it is a bit rough around the edges, hell, who gives a shit! Not me thats for sure.
I like a bike that wears its years on its frame, I like the fact it shows the knocks of time, I like the patina of ages. Just get it running, and ride the crap out of it, you may even get to love it for the reasons you want to part it out now.

We seem to be living in an age where everything has to be better than new, we over restore bikes, that were built to be used as every day transport, just a tool to get you to work, or down the shops. So do the bike a favour, do us all a favour, and do yourself a favour, look past the problems you see with the bike, and have fun riding it for what it is instead.

I truly wish it were mine.

sorry if this seems like a rant, it's not meant to.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #2427
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolValley
my '82 GL1100S

Fantastic. About the nicest example I've seen. Almost looks like something Randakk would own.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #2428
What?
curmudgeon

Oddometer: 355
So, where is the thread that shows me how to get my aluminum parts that clean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolValley
a bike from here in k.c.

What? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #2429
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,796
Well said, Kevin! The only reason I can see for checking for matching numbers, dents, corrosion, etc, is to assess a fair price for purchase. After that, it's a good idea to keep expenditures below selling value, but once one's heart is in it, that's not always easy to control. At some point, like you say, it becomes a labor of love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev
I will tell you the true beauty of this bike is that it is not quite right, so its numbers don't match, so it is a bit rough around the edges, hell, who gives a shit! Not me thats for sure.
I like a bike that wears its years on its frame, I like the fact it shows the knocks of time, I like the patina of ages. Just get it running, and ride the crap out of it, you may even get to love it for the reasons you want to part it out now.

We seem to be living in an age where everything has to be better than new, we over restore bikes, that were built to be used as every day transport, just a tool to get you to work, or down the shops. So do the bike a favour, do us all a favour, and do yourself a favour, look past the problems you see with the bike, and have fun riding it for what it is instead.

I truly wish it were mine.

sorry if this seems like a rant, it's not meant to.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #2430
Sam Simons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
RE: Old

I agree, England-Kev... There's something more impressive (to me) about
a genuine 'survivor' versus a perfect restoration . I have owned a great
many in both categories,and that 'perfect restoration' isn't realistic
from several standpoints. A genuine survivor in pristine condition reflects
the continual care that it had to receive from it's various owners throughout the years..an impressive factor just by itself.

Sam Simons screwed with this post 11-27-2008 at 06:01 AM
Sam Simons is offline   Reply With Quote