Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2007, 06:42 AM   #871
Old Way
MOTU

Oddometer: 62
Here's a short video of some vintage dirt bikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCT08E0d4V0
Old 04-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #872
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve
Here's one you guys might like.. My buddy Riches Cafe BMW. He'd post it himself but he's a bit shy..
Your buddy Riches has got very good taste
s10rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:01 AM   #873
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
I hear your comments re. Buell's asthetics. The new bikes are stellar machines in every sense, but their appearance seems an aquired taste. They'd have an easier job of it if earlier Buells weren't so darn good looking. I'm sure if I spent some time riding one it'd grow on me, though. Pretty is as pretty does, I say.

Re. Reliability of the Tube Framed Buells: I've owned four of them and have suffered exactly one failed coil and one failed starter relay. The starter relay could probably have been revived, but I replaced it with a new item purchased generically for $7. The coil I sourced used for peanuts.

ie: They've been more reliable, easier and cheaper to maintain than my many beloved BMW's. And did I mention how much fun they are to ride? Wow, that's some good riding fun, right there.

Anyhow, Jabba's not happy with us discussing Buells on this thread, and I'm not sure how old a bike has to be to be discussed here, so I better let it go just now. But I can't believe any gear head, no matter how marque blinded they are, wouldn't find beauty in the gorgeous organic curves of this machine.

Oh yea, and Sniperx, that's a really nice find in that old Yamaha trials bike. Very nice. Good on you.

fwiw,
Lornce
Lornce
(Jabba we're talking soon to be classic bikes here.... if you don't mind?!.)
Sure the new Buells are some nice techno warriors but are never going to be cleassic in the real romantic sense of the word

my idea of nice motorcycle is a classic one
removable tank fitted over the top of
the frame in front of me and the engine oil too must be in the traditional places
So that is why I really would like a carburated harley twin in the tubular sport frame
and I'd love to have an older s1 or a cyclone ...
(I would have to import it ..nothing around here)
When you say how much fun is to ride them I can just imagine you coming out of a tight mountain curve and fully open up that 2 gear...
I dreamt of a modified cyclone for a long time and now you tell me they're more reliable than Bmw...
That makes me really drool for one for sure now..
I wish I could find one with spoke wheels
that would be cool...
Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #874
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10rat
Lornce
(Jabba we're talking soon to be classic bikes here.... if you don't mind?!.)
Sure the new Buells are some nice techno warriors but are never going to be cleassic in the real romantic sense of the word. my idea of nice motorcycle is a classic one. removable tank fitted over the top of the frame in front of me and the engine oil too must be in the traditional places. So that is why I really would like a carburated harley twin in the tubular sport frame. And I'd love to have an older s1 or a cyclone ...
(I would have to import it ..nothing around here)
When you say how much fun is to ride them I can just imagine you coming out of a tight mountain curve and fully open up that 2 gear...
I dreamt of a modified cyclone for a long time and now you tell me they're more reliable than Bmw... That makes me really drool for one for sure now.. I wish I could find one with spoke wheels that would be cool...
Oh man, you and Jabba are both opening a complex can of worms. One guy wants a bike to get from A to B as efficiently and quickly as possible another wants to do it in something he calls "style". How many different iterations are offered by mfgr's looking for a bit of your disposable dosh? Such a wonderful folly, no matter how you look at it.

As an Australian friend would say "Wouldn't trade if fer quids, mate!"

Jabba, your opinions have beeen noted, as has your choice of bike. Hmmmn, automatic transmission, eh? Did you happen to see my earlier point re. my mom's refusal to drive cars with automatic transmissions? I never got to ask her how she'd feel about a bike with an automatic.

Rat, it's true. These bikes are pretty darned reliable. Nothing to them if you know your way around machinery. There's some really clever and clear headed engineering thought gone into those chassis', too. On the road you'd never know you were tied to a bucking 45 degree v-twin, it's that smooth. Roll the throttle open though and there's no mistaking the source of that immediate shove of instant and authoritative power/torque. You can throttle steer around corners on paved roads at 3k rpm.

A buddy of mine has an S1 with a fire breathing 88" motor that produces 125rwhp and 125ft/lbs of torque. It's outrageous the way it lunges forward. It makes 95ft/lbs at 3,000rpm and wieghs a little over 400lbs. Nothing accelerates in the midrange like that kind of power.

The viscera, thrill and elation of motion. It's a little primal and it's a lot of fun.

Here's a view of my '95 S2 that affords some appreciation of the complexity of it's shape and form. Those lines were not easy to create. This is a very satisfying motorcycle to ride long and hard. It's smooth and effortless with road holding like nothing you've experienced from lesser motorcycles. These beautiful and essentially hand built classics can still be bought in America for very reasonable amounts. In Europe, where riders tend to be more discriminating about their motorcycles and how to ride them, they fetch much higher sums.
Attached Images

Lornce screwed with this post 04-19-2007 at 08:27 AM
Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #875
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Man
I love thunderbolts...almost forgot about them
s2 is what they're called that's right
So Lornce I try take advantage of a Buell connessieur like you
Which model year (m2, s2, s1) do you think is best ...and the value
You know all good info for when the opportunity will come around...
Thanx
Old 04-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #876
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Here's one you guys might like.. My buddy Riches Cafe BMW. He'd post it himself but he's a bit shy..

so, so nice. love those pipes... any more pics?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #877
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10rat
Man
I love thunderbolts...almost forgot about them
s2 is what they're called that's right
So Lornce I try take advantage of a Buell connessieur like you
Which model year (m2, s2, s1) do you think is best ...and the value
You know all good info for when the opportunity will come around...
Thanx
Ahhh, there's never a simple answer to these questions, Rat. It depends what you want to do.

afaic, '98 is the best year for motors because it was the first year of the 101hp "Thunderstorm" engine and the last year for the carburetor. Early FI systems on Buells ('99) were good but the ancilliary bits kept them from being reliable, imho. Some guys had extremely good fortune with their FI systems, others had nightmares. One buddy of mine with a fuel injected X1 is the sharpest electro tech I know. He probably knew as much about the FI system as it's designer when he was finished with it. He loved the bike when it ran, but he was glad to sell it.

'95 and '96 S2 Thunderbolts have arguably the sweetest combination of chassis bits on any of the tube frame line, imho. The WP Roma fork really sets it apart from later bikes which used a lesser WP fork. The bike floats sure footed and effortlessly over surprisingly rough pavement. Ergos are pretty sweet, too. You can ride that bike for long distances in complete comfort. Eats big miles with deceptive ease. And it's got essentially the same chassis numbers as the S1. ie: it's a real sleeper in the twisties. I've had lots of sporty-bike guys come over to check it out and scratch their heads long and hard while they try to figure out what just happened to them "back there".

Only problem with an S2 is the motor's pretty much just a stock Sportster. Which is okay, as it's PLENty powerful in the lower regions of it's rev range where you'd use it most of the time on the street. The heavier Sportster flywheels are nice and calming, too. Bike is very smooth on the open road.

Of course, I put a Thunderstorm top end and cams into mine, so I've got the best of both worlds in my S2.

The last of the Cyclone's are really popular machines, too. Lots of guys figure they're the best tube frame Buells because they had the T-storm motor, carb, conventional fork (tighter turning radius for parking lot manuevers) and a useful seat large and comfortable enough for two people. All the fun Buell factor stuff and an added bit of practicality.

Hard to go too far wrong with any of the Buells, though, imho.

ymmv,
Lornce

Here's a view of a buddy of mine with his '98 S1 White Lightning. One of the finest of the Tube Framed Buells, imho. Last time I saw him he mentioned possibly being interested to sell it. This bike has already become a desireable collectable.
Attached Images

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #878
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:

Shoot, a guy with a biike that cool is SHY!? I think that is possibly THE most cool BMW I have ever seen!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #879
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Thanks for the excellent Buell analysis, Lornce. I'm a fan, too.

Rat, here's a little write-up on a long-term S2 Thunderbolt from Motorcycle Online:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbuell/s2_longterm.html

Their commentary echoes my own Harley Davidson experience: very reliable, very low maintenance and very simple to work on when/if anything is required.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #880
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by honcho
so, so nice. love those pipes... any more pics?
Not on this computer. I'll get you a few more tonight from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Shoot, a guy with a biike that cool is SHY!? I think that is possibly THE most cool BMW I have ever seen!
Well he's really NOT shy. He's just not on too many boards. He's one of THE most particular builders/modders I've met. His garage is humbling. He's got a streetfighter project that essentially complete that he won't take out because it's just not quite perfect yet and he's been working on it for something like 4 years now.

Here's a picture of one of his "riders"...

FloridaSteve screwed with this post 04-19-2007 at 10:52 AM
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #881
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

By the way here's a link to some pics of our local vintage (mostly) club bike night. Really great group of people. Some decent stuff on there.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1840582

FloridaSteve screwed with this post 04-19-2007 at 11:21 AM
Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #882
uptown
No stoppies on an Airhead

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
I love the why the black bits contrast with white body work. It's looks very aggressive (for a beemer ).

Is it street legal? If so, where are the turn signals?
uptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #883
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not on this computer. I'll get you a few more tonight from home.

Well he's really NOT shy. He's just not on too many boards. He's one of THE most particular builders/modders I've met. His garage is humbling. He's got a streetfighter project that essentially complete that he won't take out because it's just not quite perfect yet and he's been working on it for something like 4 years now.

Here's a picture of one of his "riders"...
I'd love to meet your friend Richie
I like him already a lot
..and may be if he likes me too I get to ride that pretty yellow tbird sport
Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #884
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown
I love the why the black bits contrast with white body work. It's looks very aggressive (for a beemer ).

Is it street legal? If so, where are the turn signals?
Turnsignals!! We don't need no stinking Turnsignals!!

Yeah it's streetlegal. Last time I checked you could pull em in Florida but it's been a while since I've checked so the law's probably changed. A LOT of us with older bikes ignore it either way. Most cops don't know if the bike came with em or not.. shrug...
Old 04-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #885
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
Thanks for the excellent Buell analysis, Lornce. I'm a fan, too.

Rat, here's a little write-up on a long-term S2 Thunderbolt from Motorcycle Online:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbuell/s2_longterm.html

Their commentary echoes my own Harley Davidson experience: very reliable, very low maintenance and very simple to work on when/if anything is required.
Thanx Rockt
....remeber reading that review a couple of years ago...I was impressed then
I ll have to read it again
Thunderbolts are very nice
I'd fit a round light in the fairing andput some spoke wheels on..
dreaming...
I see that with 4 to 5 thousand Us$ you can find some great looking tbolts out there...
Anyone willing to ship me one for a commission?