User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
yanni23 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Thumb The KLX450R Thread.

Who's dual-sporting or riding one? Love it, hate it? Best thing since sliced bread or a CRFX wannabe?

I'll go first. I love mine.

It has:

Tag and title for street-use.

Rekluse Pro clutch

3.2 IMS tank

JD'd

AIS thrown away

Stock exhaust (hate noise)

Cycra's

Devol Skidplate

Pro Grip Rally grips

A mixture of tires from MotoZ to Terraflex

I have never had any trouble out of this one. It has 1200 miles on it now and I'm not sure about the hours. I change the oil every now and then and ride it. Lots of war stories of bad electric systems were reported, but I've never had to charge mine. E-start lights the fire everytime.

I'm anxious to hear if anyone else out there DS's one, or just trail-rides one. The new has now wore off enough for this bike to get it's own thread.

yanni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
mele63
n00b

Oddometer: 9

JDjetting Jet Kit
JDjetting Fuel Screw
Custom Shaved Seat
Unibiker Radiator Guards
Kawasaki KX450F Silencer
Flatland Racing Bash Plate
Pirelli MT16 DOT Front Tire
Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit
Kenda TrackMasterII TMK-760 DOT Rear Tire
Wheeling Cycle S
upply Type 586 LED Flashers (Rear)
Cycra Probend Handguards, Modified with Zeta XC Replacement LED Flashers

Titled, Plated, Registered, and Insured in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

...to be continued.

mele63 screwed with this post 10-31-2009 at 11:24 AM
mele63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Crit Rat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241

I've definitely considered one of these bikes. They've been written up pretty well and I think could be obtained for *a lot* less than a new Husaberg or KTM.

All you owners please post your impressions, images, war stories, likes and dislikes.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
yanni23 OP
Studly Adventurer

I picked up mine in Charlotte NC for $5200 OTD. It was a new '08 leftover. I got it this past April. So far so good.

I did change out the rear spring though for a stiffer 5.4kg. The stocker is a 5.0 and that's meant for a 135lbs. rider. I'm 190lbs. with gear and now the bike doesn't sit like it has 1'' Kouba lowering link on it. It doesn't bounce off the bumpstop anymore in the rear, either.

The KLX steers so light. It has a definitive RM/RMZ steering feel to it. That's one of the first things I try to get a bike to do. Turn. My CRF450X was very hesitant to turn no matter how high the forks were pulled up.

The motor is silky smooth with loads of bottom and mid. Adding the Rekluse Pro was simply cheating. I could never get over 50 miles on the stock tank before hitting the 10-mile reserve, so I went with the IMS 3.2g tank. The only drawback to using the IMS tank is that you have to run a KX450 petcock and KX450 shrouds. No biggie there though.

The tranny is a wide-ratio 5speed and it does great on the road even with the stock 13/50 gearing. With that gearing you can still cruise at 55mph no problem but 60mph is a little buzzy. I went to 14/47 and now can cruise at 65mph without stressing the engine so much.

The suspension is so plush and perfect for trail riding or dual-sporting. For pure racing, I'd go a spring stiffer on the front, and leave the 5.4kg on the rear as it's perfect now.

The brakes are very strong and some say too touchy. I prefer mine that way so no issues there.

There were a lot of claims of KLX450's being boilers but mine has never boiled. I run the JD Jetting setup which consists of: Red needle on the 4th clip, 165 main, 48 pilot, no o-rings on the accelerator pump and the AIS is removed. I cut off the top of the airbox and left the sides alone as to not let water in.

The stock exhaust is restrictive but it's whisper quiet so I've left it alone. The KX450 exhaust bolts right on but it's loud as hell. I took it off after one ride.

Oil changes suffer with the stock header because it has to be moved out of the way to get to the filter. A KX450 header remedies this via a straight pipe instead of the ''tuned for low-end'' stock header. There is a sight glass for the oil, no dipstick. When cold you can't see oil at all. After 3 minutes of warm-up you can see it fine right in the middle.

I like the KLX450R's engine design a little better than the newest KTM's (non-RFS) and the CRF's. Those engines separate the engine oil from the tranny oil and the seals are prone to go bad....you have to split the bottom to fix that and that just can't be fun.

I'm anxious to see if it will hold up to the test of time and so far it hasn't let me down. I DS 75% offroad and this bike fit the bill perfectly for my needs.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni23
Who's dual-sporting or riding one? Love it, hate it? Best thing since sliced bread or a CRFX wannabe?

I'll go first. I love mine.

It has:

Tag and title for street-use.

Rekluse Pro clutch

3.2 IMS tank

JD'd

AIS thrown away

Stock exhaust (hate noise)

Cycra's

Devol Skidplate

Pro Grip Rally grips

A mixture of tires from MotoZ to Terraflex

I have never had any trouble out of this one. It has 1200 miles on it now and I'm not sure about the hours. I change the oil every now and then and ride it. Lots of war stories of bad electric systems were reported, but I've never had to charge mine. E-start lights the fire everytime.

I'm anxious to hear if anyone else out there DS's one, or just trail-rides one. The new has now wore off enough for this bike to get it's own thread.

You have snow? It was 65d here in western n.y today!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,914
What's the stock weight of one of these?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Damn those are nice bikes for the money can't beat em. My riding buddy has one it's a blast to ride all low down torque great off road bike. It will be my next bike unless they come out with a 450S with a 6 speed.
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
yanni23 OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm not sure of the exact weight. But I've rode 'em all from KTM's to CRF's and it's the same more or less. It is a light feeling bike because of the light steering effect. If feels lighter than my CRF450X did. I'm sure that's just the ''saddle weight'' though.

It does feel lighter than a DRZ though.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
joedirt5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I have an 08 that has been dualsported with the baja designs kit. It is street titled in ct. The bike has been a love hate relationship so far but hopefully it is tweaked to perfection now. I will start from the top. I paid in my opinion way short money for it. 4000$ fully dualsported from the beginning with 200 miles. I attribute this to a complete lack of demand for the klx, it seems to have never caught on as a kdx replacement. I needed to have the suspension tuned for my weight, so off it went for stiffer springs all around and a revalve to compensate for the heavier springs. Also went with the bigger 3 gallon tank and did a leo-vince x3 muffler. The jetting on these bikes seems to be way more tricky to get perfect compared to previously owned bikes. The team green jetting from Kawasaki seemed to be spot on except for the pilot witch remaned stock. So far with the modifications I made it is the fastest, best handling woods bike I have ever owned and truly feel it has made me a much better rider. The race results show that fact to be true.

joedirt5 screwed with this post 02-28-2010 at 12:25 PM
joedirt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
The Deanster
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Tossing out some pics... The dirt tires are DOT legal Pirelli XCMH. Only problem was a leaking counter shaft seal in the first ride. It was a squished o-ring during assembly and fixed under warranty.
The Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,678

yanni, I gotta ask.

???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525233

http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
I recognized the screenname from the fleamarket as well. 'splain please
Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
yanni23 OP
Studly Adventurer

Lol I'm busted! I trade bikes like they're goin' outta style. Had this one since April and now I'm movin' on. I'm going back to a 2stroke for now, so I'll try and keep it around for a season before I move it on too. I'm going for this....

Old 11-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #14
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
My 09...

My Photos In Google Earth

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 01-19-2010 at 06:45 AM
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #15
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
A couple more shots from the November 22nd weekend...

The four-fiddy...

The sistas...

My Photos In Google Earth

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 11-26-2009 at 07:22 AM
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote