User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #46
monkeyfez
Enabler....

Oddometer: 5,009
How'd the host file changes work for adblocking?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #47
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfez View Post
How'd the host file changes work for adblocking?
I haven't done it yet...

With a list that large, I wonder if my iPhone can chew through all that without bogging down or hanging every time some app or Safari tries to load an ad.

The iPhone is out of warranty, but I still don't want to make this thing unusable. I suppose the worst thing that could happen is I just have to do a full restore, then re-load everything.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #48
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Another couple of good reasons to Jailbreak your iPhone,

MakeItMine - Change your carrier name or banner at the top of your screen to whatever you want. Change "AT&T" to "Xeraux" or just leave it blank. Same with the banner. On a non-jailbroken iPhone the time is displayed at the top of your screen. Use MakeItMine delete it so it doesn't look so cluttered or change it to some other message or text. (Look at the screen shots on the previous page.)

iBlacklist - Firewall protection for your phone and SMS.

Basically, add a contact or a number to a list and they don't get through. You get to choose if they get sent directly to voicemail, a busy signal, accept and hangup, or do nothing.

It'll also do things like prevent an SMS from popping up on your lock screen or while you're in another application.

It's got some pretty interesting features like scheduling when to enforce a blacklist and when not to. For instance, if you don't want to receive calls or text messages from a certain group of contacts while you're at work, you can schedule that blacklist to be enforced Monday through Friday during working hours. For faster switching, you can even set up profiles. Switch quickly between "Home" or "Work".

Or if you want a nuclear option, use a "Whitelist". If the number isn't on this list, it doesn't get through. It screens out everything.

RecentDelete - The ability to delete individual calls from your recent call list.

Not a full app, but an additional setting for your native phone app. If you're like me, you use your recent call list as more of a list of frequently called numbers. I don't like it being so cluttered or having to scroll down a page or two to find a number or the garage door repairman's number sitting on the call list until I decide to clear the whole thing out or it sits on there long enough to drop off. Now with a flick, you can bring up a delete button on individual items in your recent call list much like you have for e-mail and SMS messages.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 12-12-2010 at 10:21 PM
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #49
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

FYI.

The Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5 and 5.01 is out for all A4 processor iPhones (3G, 3GS, & 4) and the original iPad.

The Untethered Jailbreak for the A5 processor devices (iPhone 4S, and iPad2) isn't available, yet.

http://gizmodo.com/5871262/ios-5-unt...-ipad-and-ipod

Old 12-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #50
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
FYI.

The Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5 and 5.01 is out for all A4 processor iPhones (3G, 3GS, & 4) and the original iPad.

The Untethered Jailbreak for the A5 processor devices (iPhone 4S, and iPad2) isn't available, yet.

http://gizmodo.com/5871262/ios-5-unt...-ipad-and-ipod
I wish pod2g would get off his ass and release the A5 untether already. Only app I ever used from the jailbreak was to enable tethering. Not a huge deal.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #51
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I wish pod2g would get off his ass and release the A5 untether already. Only app I ever used from the jailbreak was to enable tethering. Not a huge deal.
I updated to iOS5 earlier than I should have.

I really missed iBlackList (a phone/text message firewall) and MyWi.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #52
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,936
Just jailbroke and unlocked my old 3gs.

Now my G/F can use it on Fido in Canada and get rid of her first generation iPhone.(I got a 4s last month)

Old 12-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #53
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Just jailbroke and unlocked my old 3gs.

Now my G/F can use it on Fido in Canada and get rid of her first generation iPhone.(I got a 4s last month)

Get BiteSMS. Kicks the OEM messenger's ass.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #54
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Get BiteSMS. Kicks the OEM messenger's ass.
Thanks.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #55
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,933
Where would you suggest I look to buy an older iphone? Buying one off Ebay is a little shaky for me. How about the older batteries? Can you replace them?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #56
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Where would you suggest I look to buy an older iphone? Buying one off Ebay is a little shaky for me. How about the older batteries? Can you replace them?
I've seen a few turn up here in FleaMarket,better than eBay I suppose.
Although I did get a real clean 1st generation phone on eBay.
My old 3GS(now jailbroke/unlocked) just replaced that one for my G/F.

Batteries are replaceable,haven't done it yet,but there is an inmate in "vendors"that does them.

*edit* here's the thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750762

enduro0125 screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 07:03 AM
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #57
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Update on Jailbreak Apps that are useful:

Previously Mentioned:

Fake Carrier
- Change your carrier name or banner at the top of your screen to whatever you want. Change "AT&T" to "Xeraux" or just leave it blank. Basically the same as "MakeItMine", that I mentioned in my earlier post, but MakeItMine stopped working with one of the iOS 4.x updates. Also, Fake Carrier has a little cleaner interface and is easier to use.

RecentDelete - No longer necessary. Apple has included this function in iOS 5.

New:

BiteSMS - Actually, I've had this one from day one, but for the life of me, I don't know why I didn't mention it last year. Waaaay better text messaging app than the OEM one. Quick Reply directly from the alert message, Quick Compose, Scheduled Messages, Auto-Forward, Auto-Retry, Passcode Lock, Privacy, Delivery Reports, Contact Pics, Easy Pick Smileys, Templates, Signatures. I can't believe Apple didn't include half of these features in their native app. If you don't get any other app after Jailbreaking your iPhone, get this one.

LockInfo - Changes your lock screen into an information center. You can view your new emails, upcoming calendar events, unread SMSs, missed calls and a bunch more stuff on your lock screen. Also, lots of free, third party plug-ins to get it to do even more. It can also manage the information on your included InfoShade.

Glasklart Theme - Tired of all the candy coloured application icons? This theme changes most all of them (there are over 6,000 replacement icons included and the theme changes them out, you don't have to do it one by one) to a nice subtle grey.

Notified - Ever get an alert from your iPhone, you quickly dismiss it because you were pecking out a text message to a hornie, then later forgot what the alert was? Notified collects all your alerts and displays them on one page separated by application. Dismiss any alert you get with impunity knowing that you can later open Notified then read them all. Apple attempted this with the "InfoShade", but Notified is much simpler, easier, and better.

MyWi - Don't want to pay your carrier US$19.99 a month to simply use a feature that's already included with your iPhone? Use MyWi to give your other devices internet access via your iPhone's 3G signal. You can turn your iPhone into an WiFi Hotspot (infrastructure and ad hoc) or tether via Bluetoothy or USB.

Xeraux screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 07:57 AM
Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #58
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,671
Before I got an iPhone, I naturally assumed I would Jailbreak it as soon as possible. When I actually got one, I have never found a good reason to do so. I've been happy with it, as is and I like iOS5 pretty well, besides the 3GS having some performance issues which I can overlook.

I see a handful of useful apps for Jailbreaked phones, but here's my question: Is there a disadvantage to Jailbreaking?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #59
Xeraux OP
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
I see a handful of useful apps for Jailbreaked phones, but here's my question: Is there a disadvantage to Jailbreaking?

Jamie
Only if you find that making your iPhone more useful a disadvantage.

That's kinda like saying, I've ridden my bike around Memphis and I enjoy it, but is there anywhere else that's cool to ride?

There are a lot more than "a handful of useful apps". There are apps that allow you to put more than 12 apps in a folder. There are apps that allow you to determine the spacing of the apps on screen so you can fit more on a single page, there are apps that give you access to the file structure and allow you to browse your phone like you would any computer, there are apps that give you a UNIX console, there are apps that let you file your pictures like you do in iPhoto directly on the iPhone...

That's just scratching the surface of the things you can do with a jailbroken iPhone.

Also, the redsn0w jailbreak is easier than ever. Why would you not try it? You can always restore it back to its un-jailbroken state if you don't find it useful.

Xeraux screwed with this post 01-08-2012 at 12:55 PM
Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #60
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

And you can unlock to use any sim card.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: