Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #31
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
There's nothing half about getting something iconic. Its either an iconic model or a poor copy (not technically, but aesthetically). Nobody ever mistook a Hyundai Tiburon for a Ford Mustang. So just buy a lightly used Vespa and be done with it. Sure there are some people selling "vintage" models for too much, but there are plenty of reasonably priced newer models out there.

For instance, an '09 S 150 for $2500.
Man, that is a deal for an '09 150! Snag it, A'Bears, Snag it!
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #32
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,882
or...this

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #33
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto
stainlesss...now you're talkin'! Waiting to hear your personal take on your first hands-on riding experience, and professional opinion of the quality.
It depends on the quality of the stainless, you can still have stainless steel that is inherently weaker than good quality mild steel.

I'd take a good quality steel bolt with zinc electroplating over questionable stainless steel bolts. Besides stainless has a bit more thermal expansion rate, And I'd not want to use it for long length engine studs.

Concerning Adly, as I've got shop experience with their products.. They better get their act together about mechanical design and intergration on their bikes, as their bikes from last year were a nightmare to work on.

And they all came with their carbs set far too lean to run correctly without extra jetting work.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #34
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
The leaness is a result of the EPA or NHTSA standards. Most bike, cars, and scooters have their mixtures leaned way out to pass the regs.

BTW, my Vespa is too much of a rat bike to have any snob appeal. Thank god...

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #35
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Rat Scooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockster
The leaness is a result of the EPA or NHTSA standards. Most bike, cars, and scooters have their mixtures leaned way out to pass the regs.

BTW, my Vespa is too much of a rat bike to have any snob appeal. Thank god...
YES TO A RAT WITH NO SNOB APPEAL!!!
Attached Images

moto-scoot bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #36
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042

Back when I got it in 2006. Pinasco 177 kit on a P125 engine, P200 body. Nope, I didn't build it. I just break it...

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #37
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek
Concerning Adly, as I've got shop experience with their products.. They better get their act together about mechanical design and intergration on their bikes, as their bikes from last year were a nightmare to work on.
Thanks, YG: appreciate the horse's-mouth insight.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #38
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
not an actual ADLY product

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto
Thanks, YG: appreciate the horse's-mouth insight.
i finally got the rep for the LA VITA to join the adv group, and give everyone some first hand info. his name is fred, and is a great guy. he has told me all kinds of background on who makes the scooter, but i will let him answer all of those points when he jumps in on this
moto-scoot bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #39
OLD SCOOTER REP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hi All : Just to clarify a few things the LaVita is not an Addly project . Its all www.hammmerheadoffroad.com . 2 years ago the owner asked me for a wish list and I told him a retro classic with modern features like EFI /LEDs /HID headlight ect. this is the result . I just got back from the factory and my first ride on a production unit . Its an incredible unit way beyond my expectations . It has DELPHI EFI ; the power band is responsive continuous perfectly smooth ....a great ride!! Fit and finish are great ,easy options changes like ifferent seats ,luggage racks, dress-up items bolt on in minutes . With the EFI and AUTOMATIC power delivery is INSTANT with no weak spots . It will come later next spring with a 49.5 cc also for the people who HAVE to have it be a moped in some states. The thing that looks like a spare tire carrier is really sort of a storage compartment . I believe the one shipping to us has differrent style flat one. Its EPA and CARB so you CA guys are good to go. Limited availablility should be around the first of the year ..MAYBE shortly before ( the first run of several thousand units is headed to Europe ours will be built after that ) . I will keep Moto-Scoot Bill in the loop . I have been in this business for 20+years ;regular trips to the factories in China and Taiwan and I would put this scoot against ones that cost 3 times as much and bet it will come out on top . RIDE ON
OLD SCOOTER REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #40
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Thank you, Old Scooter Rep. I'm a little confused about the upcoming order-of-appearance: will there first be a 150cc scoot soon, to be followed by a 49cc in the Spring? Did I understand that correctly?

Thanks for your candor in clearing up which marque this machine is. As far as it's not being an Adly, well, by whatever name, the time is coming when Mainland Chinese scoots will "catch up" in quality and reliability to the Japanese and Europeans. It's intersting to watch the evolution, and this seems to be a solid step forward. Guess we'll see.

Moto-Scoot Bill - when the larger-engined machine comes in, will you guys be offering limited-time free shipping like ya did with the Madass?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #41
Roose Hurro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Page Not Available...

Just FYI... the above link doesn't work, at least for me.
Roose Hurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #42
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roose Hurro
Just FYI... the above link doesn't work, at least for me.
just one too many 'm's in the link.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #43
OLD SCOOTER REP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Sorry about the extra "M" coreect is www.hammerheadoffroad.com .
the 150ccs will be here at the end of December ( we think ) and the 50 ccs late spring . the colors will be red ,cream ,pink with the single long seat and black with the 2 seperate seats . The paint systems are really great with double clear coats polished .

Its amazing every time I go back over there how much better the factories are getting . This unit was developed by Hammerhead but is being built in a joint venture plant ( the joint venture is with the largest Japanese manufacturer of motorcycles .. I am not allowed to say the name) I am not allowed to say that " V " name either . Anyway the production lines there a state of the art and the QUALITY control and final Q.C. runup protocalls are impressive . Paul Burnett at Hammerhead has spent a lot of time baby sitting this development with regard to the special anti corrosion frame coatings quality fasteners good tires . quality fuel ines, controls, cables and lots of attention to detail that most of us take for granted . He has done a great job of nailing those details so we can all have the best available goodies .

You can own this NEW for about 1/3 the price of one of those other scoots and it has way more state of the art benefits and features .
LIFE IS SHORT RIDE NOW

I have some great pictures but the files are to large for adv r . working on downsizing them
OLD SCOOTER REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #44
Bermshot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
La Vita

I've been asked to get in here and answer any questions you may have. I'm Paul from Hammerhead and have been with Adly Moto since they started in the US.
The La Vita project has nothing to do with Adly. We have tried for years to get them to build a retro style unit, then Lambretta came on after they split with CMSI but no one could come to terms with the tooling. I'm still hoping at some point we can get the 2 stroke 50cc engine I got certified back in 05 in one of the La Vita's but it's not my money that makes the decissions.

This is a consortium betwewen the tool & die maker, injection molding, painter all of whom do work for Yamaha & Suzuki, and Hammerhead. We only have the rights to N. America so you may see these in other counties under other names and engine usage.
The engine we have used for years is a typical GY6 made by Zhejiang Jinlang in our gocarts and has proven to be pretty reliable. I have talked to some cart racers that have modified our carts for whatever class they can ride in with one guy saying he is getting almost 20HP on the dyno and has made 2 seasons without any failure or rebuilds, though I don't know the frequency of use.
We have used a throttle body type FI system that is a partnership in Taiwan with Delphi. It is not a super complicated system with most of the parameters being burned in and not reprogrammable unless you have the equipment to reflash them.
In our EPA testing it provided very low output of CO & HC and got 80MPG at the 45 mph speed that it averaged over the tests. I do not have any real life usage figures yet
You can check out some other blogs on ScooterBBS and 2stroke buzz so I don't have to repeat all the statements.
We have simply tried to put out the best looking vintage style scooter with the compromises for cost of production to make an affordable good lookng bike. We don't think we have reinvented anything and have no illusions of granduer that we have built the perfect scooter. I know a 300Z or Miata is not a replacement for a Ferrari, but it does have it's place in the market and that is what we are hoping to achieve here.
When I was a Genuine dealer at my old store, Scooters of Dallas (sold, now Vespa of Dallas) I could have sold another 100 Stellas if they had been auto's. There is nitch that likes the retro but don't want the shifting. I did try to get Revloc to make a auto clutch but Phil did not want any part of it and I transitioned over to Adly Moto and dropped it
This bike is all plastic body (painted ABS) and being so you have to design and adjust to compensate for the difference in chassis strength and attachments. We did use stainless nuts & bolts on the external hardware to keep corrosion to a minimum but can't state what grade they are, as some one has questioned. The underlying hardware and mounts are standard mild steel. The rear engine cowls do not have quick releases at this time but the complete tail section comes off as one part, takes about 10 minutes. The storage cover is actually the access to the battery area.
They are working on a glovebox to add on.
Production started this week on the first batch with the 4 colors stated before and if all goes well at customs we should get them just before Christmas, not the best of timing, but hey , we got them here in 09(2010 model yr) as stated .
I just got the emissions test on the 49cc (Linhai) motor and have to send it to the lawyers to see if it is acceptable to the EPA, so it may be Feb before we have anything. The motors I tested when I was in Shanghai this summer were slugs. They tell me this motor is better - 35MPH on flat ground but still not up to Adly 50 type speed. The Linhai do have a decent reputation but I do not have any firsthand experience with it to give an opinion. Too many states dealers can only sell 49cc so they have green lighted this one
I have had a low 90% fill rate with Adly parts the last years, mainly certain painted parts shortage, but the last 6 months have been at 99%. I don't think I have ever left anyone hanging more than 3 weeks to get something in that I was short on. I have put in my intitial parts order to be shipped with the 1st container of scooters, hope it is not restricted by anyone over me, that would leave me naked on only the most obscure part. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong as I build up a usage model of parts levels.
Ask questions, offer advice, opinions will be judged by my own opinion but points taken for spelling and neatness.

Bermshot screwed with this post 11-06-2009 at 08:08 AM
Bermshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #45
Bermshot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
First four colors available this Dec.

Bermshot screwed with this post 11-06-2009 at 08:31 AM
Bermshot is offline   Reply With Quote