Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #106
kingdm54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandello
I've been riding and dealing with italian scooters for over 30 years, so much so that I opened a (now well-known) vintage scooter-restoration shop, since 1999. We've laughed plenty of guys out of the shop coming in with bent rims from trying to change tires on their chinese junk.

You don't have to be an expert to know chinese vehicles are pure crap, name me one 10-year-old chinese scooter that's worth anything? A 30-year-old Vespa in good condition is still worth what it sold for new, older ones go for much more.

You going to tell me a two-bit operation in china shoe-horning new engines into old vespa frames is better than the real thing? Seriously?

AlexM
Not at this point. But they are just like the Japanese and Italians were back in their infancy. Yes I know I have owned and still own both (I have a 1963 GS160 back in the US.) Sorry but as much as I love it is it is a piece of shit. And please don’t preach to me about how they copy everyone. I worked for both Yamaha and Suzuki on the corporate level and they both have storage places full of every other manufactures product they have taken apart and copied the designs.
The Chinese and doing the same thing everyone else has done at some point. Funny how people seem to forget that little fact.
kingdm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #107
Mandello
Guzzista

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdm54
I'm not defending OSR or the product here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdm54
.. I still own both (I have a 1963 GS160 back in the US.) .. it is a piece of shit....The Chinese are doing the same thing... Funny how people seem to forget that little fact.
Thanks for making no sense while wasting my time, good luck in china.

AlexM
Mandello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #108
kingdm54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandello

Thanks for making no sense while wasting my time, good luck in china.

AlexM
And good luck to you too. I'm sure with your superb people skilles you'll do very well....

I'm not sure where you are but if you're as big of a vespa parts dealer as you "clam" I'm sure we may have crossed paths at some point...

kingdm54 screwed with this post 01-28-2010 at 06:03 PM
kingdm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #109
Bermshot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Missing the point

I do think the thread intro is a bit dramatic and may not be a introduction as intended. Should have had the qualifier "looking".
If you have the time to go over the post here and on some of the other known blogs, we don't believe we have re-invented the wheel. We did not try to build a Testarossa.
Our concept was to build a good looking classic design scooter with the modern twist and go base. I would have prefered to have done this with our TW factory, as we tried to do when we took on the Lambretta production when their CMSI deal collapsed but for one reason or another it has not come to be (not dead yet as they have sent me some new info).
With our contacts in China, already having our own kart factory there, and a real budget we set out to build the best value for the money. When you start adding specific needs, the cost goes up- even in China. We went to TW for the FI system, rejected tires,electronics and frames from various providers after testing showed them lacking. At some point compromises are made to fit the concept and I can't state we have a part that has a usefull life of 8000 hrs or not because this is an infant product. We do think we have built a unit that will have a life to match the non Chinese mfgr. but time will be the test. We comitted to a 2 year warranty based on our belief we have done that. We all know that Vespa and the old Lambretta's were trouble free and none of the Vespa dealers have any warranty work to do.
Sorry for the sarcasm, we intend to stand on our own merits, needing to earn them first but we have to begin somewhere and now is the time.
I would think this is a great entry and mid level scooter to target the same class that went for the Buddy, a great product, that can't afford the top end or want the real classic shifting scooters. After a few seasons we can have a fair debate on how they have held up and developed.

We can argue all day about the concept, looks and origin, all opinion at this point, let's see what the market responds to, something I can't predict, then you can come after us ;).
Paul
Bermshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #110
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Drama!? On ADV!?

Props for the two-year warranty thing - that's stepping up.
Best of luck.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, et al...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #111
Bermshot
Adventurer

La Vita released

Finally, customs has released the 1st containers of the 150 La Vita and we should have them by the end of the week .

Now, this IS blatant promotion : We will be at the Dealer Expo at Indy in Booth 2211 on the main floor Jan 16-18 and hope to see some of the bloggers stop by.

Let the games begin, for better or worse and see how this puppy holds up.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #112
OLD SCOOTER REP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermshot
Finally, customs has released the 1st containers of the 150 La Vita and we should have them by the end of the week .

Now, this IS blatant promotion : We will be at the Dealer Expo at Indy in Booth 2211 on the main floor Jan 16-18 and hope to see some of the bloggers stop by.

Let the games begin, for better or worse and see how this puppy holds up.
WELL STATED! the proof is going to be in the ride . Since a good part of the country is snow locked it will be awhile here. I only got about 10 KM seat time at the factory in October but I am a believer. I will get my black 2 seat demo at the show .. looking foreward to it .
OLD SCOOTER REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #113
Bermshot
Adventurer

Tx vintage club

I took my demo to the Dallas pub that the Get Bent club hangs out at. They had said they would burn it if I ever showed up with it. It was a cold day so the crowd was down some but here is their own vid of it with a couple of F bombs in it so if you object, don't play the link. Didn't do too bad considering they all were pre disposed to hate it.
http://www.getbent-sc.com/video-clips/navigat-in.htm

BTW. the old faded red Allstate that pulls up towards the end is my original vintage scooter I had in the 80's that my wife sold in 95 when I was in the hospital(and my Norton ;(.

Bermshot screwed with this post 03-05-2010 at 07:01 AM
Old 03-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #114
Mandello
Guzzista

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermshot
they all were pre disposed to hate it.

that's because they know scooters, your target market consists of the clueless and naive... you'd do a lot better showing that thing off at Walmart.

AlexM
Mandello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #115
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

*whew!*

Tough crowd, tough town.

Looks good. Looks better than the Buddys.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, et al...
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #116
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
Get the torches out...
Old 03-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #117
Bermshot
Adventurer

We definatly are comparing apples to oranges here. There is no intent to compete with the vintage metal scoots. Much like the Jap V twins against the HD's, you will never convert them but there is a market for them.

Walmart? I was at least hoping to hit Target grade ;( maybe we can get some La Vita wife beater shirts and market helmets with mullets hanging out.

Our dealer in Portland,Or sold 2 La Vita's to actor Timothy Hutton last Saturday. Cool start. Hope he knows how to ride and not get us in the news with a wreck.

We have sent a bike to Scoot! for a road test and should be in the May edition so we will see how they feel about it.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #118
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

An excellent start! Best of luck - same market as Genuine/Buddy.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #119
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Reviving Thread

Reviving this old thread just to see where the Lavita project is now. I pm'd Berm, haven't heard back yet. The Lavita has been out a while now and has gotten some really good press even from serious scoot folks. I wonder if the scoot has seen some success? Many warranty claims? Any specific and recurring issues with the scoot? My local dealer has offered to get one for me if I so desired for around 2200 bucks. I'm just curious.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #120
Bermshot
Adventurer

La Vita

Not sure if I got the PM, had a few customer contacts this last month. Sales have only been So-So, across the board I think most scooters sales have been poor this last year. Had hoped for better from this model but we have not done much if any promotions for it.
The claims have been mostly from the 1st batch with some poor electrical connections the most of it. Had 3 oil leaks, 2 traced to the starter O-ring, 1 @ the head gasket.
Had some claims(5) on the EFI, mostly when they had sat for a month or more and found the fuel injector is contaminated by water in the fuel, thanks to the ethanol's tendicy to bond with it. Have rust spots on the cone so looking at the injector material but the supplier says they sell this injector in markets with 22% ethanol. May have to recommend an additive if they are not being used regularly. Also found some of the claims on the EFI actually was a tight valve when the customers failed to follow the service schedule and inspect and/or adjust them.
Have a guy in SoCal that is not happy with the dealer and us over a speedo issue the dealer can not fix yet and the mechanic refuses to spend anymore time to check thing out for us;(.
No other failures major or minor. Hope that is an honest enough reply.