Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #16
mommer
bring on the world!!!!

Oddometer: 1,958
so im shoping for risers for my 950 adv.. i love em to be high, but if i got the 2" risers, would that mean moving all my cables ect... i just want life to be easy
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...UkefvUtpvQzqzl
mommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #17
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by David37
I would send them back with a note and a photo of the problem.
What problem?

They look fine to me
Old 10-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Mine looked like that too and I thought the same, screwed em tight and no grumbles in the last 10,000 miles.

And no you dont need longer cables with a 2" rise, just to jiggle what you have about
stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,329
[quote=mommer]so im shoping for risers for my 950 adv.. i love em to be high, but if i got the 2" risers, would that mean moving all my cables ect... i just want life to be easy[/quote

I had to roll my throttle housing to put the cables at the bottom. It's worth the trouble to be able to comfortably stand up on the bike.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
marin ktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Thanks Roxstuff (and everyone) for responding,

I went ahead and torqued them down. I did not measure the torque, but they are really tight. I am still not happy with the fit. They are only really clamped and in proper contact on the inside edge of each clamp. I will live with it, but I am used to having the bars fully in contact and "square" with the clamps.

Here they are, wrenched down so tight that the hex key was bending. I can still see light through the clamp.

Name:  DSCN4586.JPG
Views: 1204
Size:  84.8 KB

I have only ridden around the driveway and up a steep dirt road a 1/2 a mile with them, but I really like being able to stand in a comfortable, neutral position for a change. I am 6'3" and always felt kind of hunched over and stressed when standing before. I think I will get used to the big height change while seated.

Past:
GS550E
Saber1100
VF700F
XR350
KTM MX500
KTM mxc350
XL600
XR650R
KTM MXC400
VFR800
marin ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #21
marin ktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

They look OK on the inside portion.

Name:  DSCN4590.JPG
Views: 1213
Size:  87.8 KB

Past:
GS550E
Saber1100
VF700F
XR350
KTM MX500
KTM mxc350
XL600
XR650R
KTM MXC400
VFR800
Old 10-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #22
Sadlsor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by marin ktm
Here they are, wrenched down so tight that the hex key was bending. I can still see light through the clamp.

Attachment 218868
fEDIT: arrrghh!! Why can't I get that pic to reproduce?!

Holy Incompatibility, Batman!
Are everyone's like this after tightening? I'm sorry, the Rox risers were on my list, but I'll have to seriously reconsider if they don't fit better.
Is this being too picky? Sometimes good enough really IS good enough, but I would think a machinist could adjust some tooling and get this to fit snugly the length of the handlebar.
I'm with Brother Marin on this one.
Paging Mr. Rox?

Sadlsor screwed with this post 10-30-2009 at 09:39 PM
Sadlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #23
piercalif
Biciveloce

Oddometer: 406
Try this

The mounting hub should have a little dot, the dot should face forward front part of the hub screwed all the way down meeting the bottom part of the hub, the side facing the driver doesn’t touch the bottom part of the hub and when screwed down blocks the handlebar....

Quote:
I just got a set of Rox handle bar risers for my 990 Adv. They are the "low pro" - 1 3/4" rise, pivoting model. The ones that the web site says are "the recomended riser for the KTM Adv".

The problem is that the clamping area, once installed in the stock clamps, is 3/4 of an inch wider than where the stock clamps bite the bars (3/8ths on each side). They are so wide, that they are clamping down on the bar where it is starting it's upward bend. At that point, the bar is actually a bit wider than it is in the straight section, so the bar does not sit down all the way in the bottom part of the clamp. I could just crank down on the Rox clamping bolts and get it tight, but it would be deforming the clamps and gouging the bars to do so. Or I could get out the grinder and take the "corners" off the new clamps or grind the outer, flairing portion off of the stock clamps so the risers can slide in more. I don't really want to start hacking away at anything.

Have any of you guys installed these and found that they clamp on the curved part of the bar?

Carlsbad
piercalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
marin ktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercalif
The mounting hub should have a little dot, the dot should face forward front part of the hub screwed all the way down meeting the bottom part of the hub, the side facing the driver doesn’t touch the bottom part of the hub and when screwed down blocks the handlebar....
I'm sorry, but that made no sense to me...

Past:
GS550E
Saber1100
VF700F
XR350
KTM MX500
KTM mxc350
XL600
XR650R
KTM MXC400
VFR800
Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #25
piercalif
Biciveloce

Oddometer: 406
OK This is what I mean

Look at this picture the top part of the bar mount is marked with a dot, the dot should always face forward, the front bolts of the bar mount they need to be tighten all the way so the the top touches bottom part of the bar mount, the bolts facing the driver the usually get tighten until the handlebar is blocked in place and this side of the hub doesn’t go all the way down touching the bottom part of the bar mount

Carlsbad
piercalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #26
marin ktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok. I get what you are saying. I have always wondered about that. I have seen instructions that confirm your way. I have also seen and been told to leave an even space between both mounting surfaces. In any case, I don't think that applies to the situation at hand. No matter how the bolts are tigtened, they are still clamping on the curved part of the handlebar, and will never really get a good, complete clampage.

Past:
GS550E
Saber1100
VF700F
XR350
KTM MX500
KTM mxc350
XL600
XR650R
KTM MXC400
VFR800
Old 10-31-2009, 04:57 AM   #27
Dust Buster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Yes, stock bars. This is how it looks with the bolts finger tight. If i start wrenching them down, there will be major marring of clamps and bar

Attachment 218826
That doesnt look right man, this how it used to look on my -07 SE with the 2" Rox-risers, perfekt fit, i also used them on my ADV S -03, perfekt fit. Stock bars on both bikes.

SE - Perfect fit, both inside and outside

[IMG][/IMG]

ADV S - Perfect fit on the inside and a very small gap under the bar on the outside part, but over all a perfect fit.

/Dust Buster - KTM 990 S - Super eXplorer™ IBA #53252

Pics of my old and new rides http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/w...s%20Bikepedia/

Dust Buster screwed with this post 10-31-2009 at 05:38 AM
Dust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:32 AM   #28
pigstain
Out of Control

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Thanks Roxstuff (and everyone) for responding,

I went ahead and torqued them down. I did not measure the torque, but they are really tight. I am still not happy with the fit. They are only really clamped and in proper contact on the inside edge of each clamp. I will live with it, but I am used to having the bars fully in contact and "square" with the clamps.

Attachment 218868

I have only ridden around the driveway and up a steep dirt road a 1/2 a mile with them, but I really like being able to stand in a comfortable, neutral position for a change. I am 6'3" and always felt kind of hunched over and stressed when standing before. I think I will get used to the big height change while seated.
Dude, I'd send them back. They are not even seated in the lower saddle. Something is definately wrong with those. Almost looks like they sent you risers for a 7/8" bar. Whatever the problem, that, to me, would be unacceptable.

2005 Honda CRF450X plated
pigstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #29
Sadlsor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Piercalif's pictures show the bars mounted as I would expect. This is not what Marin's pictures showed; I would agree that perhaps the wrong size was sent?

In any case, I should hope Rox would make it right by sending a different set of risers.

Marin's point is valid; I wouldn't want to deform my handlebars either, be it on the straight or in the bend.

OP - you have issues! Send 'em back and get some risers you can use.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:29 PM   #30
K6KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Before sending anything back I would get a caliper or micrometer on the handle bars and see how round they are at the mounting point. It might be a handle bar issue??
K6KTM is offline   Reply With Quote