Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 PM   #31
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadlsor
fEDIT: arrrghh!! Why can't I get that pic to reproduce?!

Holy Incompatibility, Batman!
Are everyone's like this after tightening? I'm sorry, the Rox risers were on my list, but I'll have to seriously reconsider if they don't fit better.
Is this being too picky? Sometimes good enough really IS good enough, but I would think a machinist could adjust some tooling and get this to fit snugly the length of the handlebar.
I'm with Brother Marin on this one.
Paging Mr. Rox?
don't panic....they're excellent pieces, and this is the first fitment problem I've seen.
I put a set on my XR628, and they're the best thing since sliced bread.
Mine fit like a glove, and haven't needed a moment's attention once I put them on.

marinktm - has your bike ever been down and possibly bent that one side up a little?
Even if your bars are perfect - have you considered a different bar?
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #32
RoxStuff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Well Marin, you got us on this one?? We are thinking something has to be different in your bar since you are the only one that has ever had issues with our risers on the 990. If you would like to return them for a full refund that will be just fine with us. Sorry for the issues you are running into. We did see that some folks mention the risers could be for 7/8" bars. That is not the case here, the bars would not sit in the risers at all if they were for a 7/8" diameter bar. For the rest of you looking to get our risers for your KTM give us a call and we will get you taken care of. If by chance you run into problems like Marin did we will refund you your money. This is a very rare case that we have never seen until now.
RoxStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #33
marin ktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxStuff
Well Marin, you got us on this one?? We are thinking something has to be different in your bar since you are the only one that has ever had issues with our risers on the 990. If you would like to return them for a full refund that will be just fine with us. Sorry for the issues you are running into. We did see that some folks mention the risers could be for 7/8" bars. That is not the case here, the bars would not sit in the risers at all if they were for a 7/8" diameter bar. For the rest of you looking to get our risers for your KTM give us a call and we will get you taken care of. If by chance you run into problems like Marin did we will refund you your money. This is a very rare case that we have never seen until now.
Thanks for the offer, Ryan. The problem is that I like them too much to send them back...went on a long ride yesterday and am very happy with the bar position...it felt a little weird at first, but I quickly got used to it. And standing feels GREAT now. The fitment gap remains on the underside, but They are not going anywhere. I will probably just leave them as is, or do a little modification (grinding) to get them in a bit narrower.

Past:
GS550E
Saber1100
VF700F
XR350
KTM MX500
KTM mxc350
XL600
XR650R
KTM MXC400
VFR800
marin ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #34
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,233
I mounted the 1 3/4" version on my SE. Perfect fit. Large improvement in comfort and control.

-dod
Old 11-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #35
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,157
Mine look just like the ones one the pics from DustBuster. I'm very happy with them.
I suggest (if possible) to try and mount them on another 950 in order to rule out the problem being on your bars or on the risers themselves.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #36
seppami
990 Adventure

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by marin ktm
Yes, stock bars. This is how it looks with the bolts finger tight. If i start wrenching them down, there will be major marring of clamps and bar

Attachment 218826

I ordered also those same risers to 990 adv '08 and had same problem. They just don't fit. 2" risers may fit ok, but these 1 3/4" risers don't fit with 990 original bar.

seppami screwed with this post 11-14-2009 at 05:29 AM
seppami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #37
KatoomDownUnder
Safer off a horse than on

Oddometer: 954
Marin KTM, before you take to the risers with a grinder I'd seriously consider the refund or exchange offered. At least if something goes wrong you'll have some sort of cover. Another thought is to take them to a machinist and have them milled to size. I'm no metal work guru but hacking away with a grinder will do more damage than good especially when you consider heat etc. A good machinist with a CNC mill will do the work in no time and it will be spot on and if your lucky it will only cost a carton
am fearann caillte
dan tug na seo\id ud gra\dh,
a sheas an aghaidh
feachd uailleil Iomhair
's a ruaig e dhachaigh
air chaochladh smaoin

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
KatoomDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:55 AM   #38
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,504
With all of this talk about ROX riser, I need to through in my 2 cents.

I have used ROX risers on three bikes (I need something to make 'em fit since I'm a 6' 4" specimen) and I absolutely love them. Why? The additional pivot point created gives me the flexibility in set up that fits my needs in any situation.

Recently, I've stolen the vibration isolation model off my 625SXC and mounted it on my SE (didn't even need to mess with any cable stretching). I worked great!

Some time ago, I sent a friend to talk to ROX for a custom job when they didn't have the type of riser that would fit his KTM. They said, "send us dimensions and a picture" and then they went to work and made a perfect match for his bike. He also loves it.

These guys are great and the product speaks for itself.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #39
seppami
990 Adventure

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli

These guys are great and the product speaks for itself.
No doubt. Risers are high quality products and thats why I ordered those. But these 1 3/4" risers, which are recommended for F800GS and 990ADV with stock lines, do not fit with bending of 990 Adventure '08 original bar. Risers are too wide.
seppami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #40
marin ktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mine are still on the bike and I really like them. I am not going to worry about the little gap at the bottom. I am going to try them on my 450. I spend alot more time standing on that bike and they will be great. I will probably be ordering another set.

Past:
GS550E
Saber1100
VF700F
XR350
KTM MX500
KTM mxc350
XL600
XR650R
KTM MXC400
VFR800
Old 12-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #41
rumguzzler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Sorry to dig up an old thread , but I too have just received a set of the Rox 1.75 risers and yep..... mine have that gap also. I am more than happy with the quality and service Rox has provided maybe the bars on the 07-08 990 are just a bit different??

I will probably keep them on the bike as there is no slippage and the bars are in quite tight.

One other question I have for guys who have fitted these risers. When you reverse the throttle tube to allow for cable length , what do you do with the switch block ( Starter/ horn) as mine now seems to be on a weird looking angle. It is being blocked by the now reversed throttle cables.

Cheers .. Matt
rumguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #42
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 534
Did the stock cable lengths work with the ROX risers? I had them on my KLR and love them but they stretched the cables a bit. I'm considering them for my 990 but it dosen't seem like the cables have enough give in they for that much rise on my bike.

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #43
marin ktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The 1 3/4" version leaves just enough length...barely. The throttle cables get a little tug when the bars are turned full lock to the right. They still function fine at all positions. You could flip them under to give more play. I have the heated grips though, so the wire for those would be pointing up in an odd position if I rotated the throttle. I have put a couple of thousand miles on 'em with everything in the stock position and all is good.

Past:
GS550E
Saber1100
VF700F
XR350
KTM MX500
KTM mxc350
XL600
XR650R
KTM MXC400
VFR800
Old 12-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #44
rumguzzler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Yeah mate all the cables fitted well . I took the bike for a ride in some rough single track this morning and I love the new ride position they give me . Standing up is much easier and I feel much more in control of the big girl when I do so!

The only thing I had to move was the throttle tube and that is what my last question was refering to. I had to rotate it 180 deg and now am faced with a " skewif" switch block??? Seems to all work though I was just after a neater result.

Rox make a quality product.

Matt
rumguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #45
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 534
Thanks Marin and Rumguzzler...I was sure the two inch wouldn't make it without some custom cabling but I'll give the 1 3/4 a try.

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote