Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
LARC0 OP
T-MAX Rider

Oddometer: 15
2009 Yamaha T-Max Busted?!! Help!

Okey, I wont re-type so I will copy it from my blog found here: Larczero

And here it is:

Here is the scoop: I am writing this blog from my cell phone before sleep, it will have poor grammar and spelling errors, but you will see the point herein so that is great.

Here is T-Max with the RH side body panels off:Note the complexity of this beast! The variator / CVT cover is shown here, so now you can visualise the rest of this story as it unfolds. Geeesh, I should really put some time into this writing, there is much too much to say.

Twas a brisk morning All Saints Day, I was ready to roll out and go home. So I'm staring at TMAX while running my pockets, looking for my keys was starting to make me panic. They were not on me, and after stripping off my leather uppers wearing only my Hakone shirt at low forty degree temps, the search was almost futile as it was useless. The keys were gone, nowhere on my person and possibly left in a strange automobile or even the house iI was standing in front of.

I was not going to go back in and start looking for them, and at the same time felt helpless all the same. I was stranded without my keys and the temp was dropping quicker by the moment... So I decide to walk over to TMAX and figure out what to do and charge my phone. Lo and behold the keys were in the ignition. WTF? The whole night I was away at a party, my keys were in the ignition!! So relieved and shocked, it was time to leave.

The driveway was on a steep incline so instead of waking the whole neighbourhood, I released the E-brake and coated all the way down the drive and to the next street before starting her up...

Waiting at the main outlet before the roadway, I just let her warm up for a good while like we should, and even had a cop bust a u-turn right in front of me to go chase something. Cool! :) So after warming up and putting the gloves on, it was time, and we made chase.

All was fine and dandy made it to a stop light and next to me was a sports car with some people all painted up, since I was feeling happy and risky, I had brought it opon myself to do a hole-shot, and really make something break, oh but little did we know at the time...

I started spooling the engine while holding the brakes in, higher and higher I got the RPM
and it did feel a bit like something was slipping a little then BAM!

The light was green and I was off like a rocket, screaming down the road in no-time, it felt great.
After slowing a bit through town, we were finally cruising along again around fifty-sixty MPH and came up to a red light, time to stop. No kidding eh?! ;)

Green, I give her some gas and she felt like she was slipping, she was over reviving and could barely do 40 MPH now, so I drift her over to the right lane allthewhile kicking her in the CVT case with my heel, like that would make a difference.
Something was wrong and getting worse by the minute, as she would barely do 30 now...

We hobbled around a corner to a different road and by taking that corner at 25 MPH that now became the max speed TMAX was capable of. She was now starting to overheat and really losing power to the wheel, oh crap another red light. This was it. She was dead at Seven and Beech, once the light turned green, I had to push with my feet to keep her moving, pulled her up the curb and onto the walkway, shut her down.

Needless to say, I spent the next two hours pushing 500 LBS up and down some hills and let me tell ya, it wasn't easy wearing full leathers and having a helmet half on the noggin. Could I have called AAA and waited an hour to get a tow, but then what? No thanks, this is my baby, I'LL DEAL WITH IT! Only all caps because I was extremely upset, and this was the same spot My other Scooter went out, and I had to hump it back home hour after sweaty hour pushing a motorbike up hill.

There were some spots there I thought I was going to collapse, it was brutal pushing a five-hundred pound bike all over town, just to save face and quietly park her in the drive as if nothing had happened. I went inside, showered, and slept at 0500 and dreamt of many things.

A few hours go by and we awake, still depressed that T-max is injured and what is worse, we still don't know what it is yet. Went out for supper and decided to peel off her panels and see if we could diagnose the situation, but first some facts.

1. She was fine until engine spooling.
2. During the 40 mph slipping run, I had noticed the spedometer was incorrect, and at some speeds not registering, this is critical, and similar to the Variator during hole-shots, as it would "stick" under acceleration.
3. As long as I was moving, only a little power to the wheel was needed to keep the speed, regardless the overrevving. The two times I stopped killed it, which means it was a degrading issue with time.
4. On the Center Stand the back wheel spins still under throttle, but with very little HP to the wheel.
5. Prior to incident, engine was well warmed.

It seems like the wet clutch is shot, but this does not explain the incorrect spedo readings and mores how this correlated with the variator anomaly. We will take apart the machine this week hopefully, but first we need space and the right tools. More on repair later, we can say this though: The sloppy mechanics at so and so something sports had done shoddy work on my bike, and should be punished for stripping out the phillips slot bolts on T-max, as well as constantly missing hardware, like missing bolts and screws. Let alone slip-shod assembly, I am wondering if they hosed the bolts so I couldn't work on it? I mean, the fucking bolts are stripped! fucking hacks. So now I must deal with this....

sigh

-m

I am scared to find out what it is, any ideas? I hope it isn't serious as this would be a big pain.

マイケル

2009 ヤマハ YAMAHA T-MAX XP500Y
ロケタ ROKETA BALI 150
スズキ SUZUKI GS450L

LARC0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Eeesh... sounds bad. Hopefully it won't be too intricate or expensive.

I had always thought that the CVT Belt would be the first point of failure. i.e. The belt would slip before anything else broke. Have you checked the belt to see how it looks? Next, check over the variator to ensure that nothing is broken and that the weights are in good shape. If that's OK, then I'd look into your wet clutches and gearbox. Try rotating the back tire by hand (without the engine on) and see if there's any resistance (possibly indicating a broken gear tooth.) Maybe drain the gearbox oil and see if there's any little metal bits in it.

Let us know how this turns out...
rtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
nickhellas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
If the V-Belt is broken there's not traction, engine on but the tmax doesn't move. I think the problem is in the oil-clutch, in the opposite carter. To dismantle the clutch is a hard work: open carter, empty circuit liquid.cooled, dismantle flywheel.
nickhellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
dontnoanybetter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
is it still under warranty?
dontnoanybetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
LARC0 OP
T-MAX Rider

UPDATE And thanks for the replys

I Opened her up last night and inspected the Variator, Belt, and Centripetal Clutch - all was fine. [LUMP IN THROAT] Which brings us to the other side, the wet clutch assy and such.

Thank GOD it is under warranty, otherwise I would be pulling the wet clutch apart. Bummer. I call the shot today to set up a time to bring her in.

Funny, I always thought the belt would fail first too...

Thanks for the help guys, I'll post an update later on when everything pans out.

マイケル

ロケタ ROKETA BALI 150
スズキ SUZUKI GS450L

Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
nickhellas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
http://olivierducrot.free.fr/document%2 ... rayage.pdf
@Larco..here a documet how dismantle the clutch. the modification permit to change the level of clutch's start from 1800rpm (original) to 2800/3000 rpm.

nickhellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
budk
OleScoot

Oddometer: 101
Larco,
How many miles on the T and what kind of oil is in the sump?

Seems to me the over-revving while slipping the clutch may be the answer.

Sorry about the "push" .. Keep us informed, pls!

BudK
budk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
LARC0 OP
T-MAX Rider

Hey there guys, back with an update of sorts..

Long of the short: I have 14kmiles and the warranty does NOT cover clutch as it falls into the brake / belt category thus rendering my pocket book dry.
I will end up doing the job myself and under thorough research of course. :)
As for oil... It could be standard, it could be the sub-standard, we would need a lab to know for sure. Last Oil Change was by dealer.
I really like the PDF nickhellas, thank you. :)

I am thinking about swapping an R6's wet clutch for this, I need to figure out if it would work first, any suggestions?

CHEERS to those of you who don't burn out a clutch so fast.

More later when I get her back from the shop. [I couldn't justify 80 bucks an hour to tinker on my bike, for that price I'd rather do it myself and learn something. :)

マイケル

ロケタ ROKETA BALI 150
スズキ SUZUKI GS450L

Old 11-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,539
So what happened,any updates?

Next time just get a Jcosta variator and accelerate quite quickly normally without any of that brakes on,getting the revs up, clutch and drivetrain abuse foolishness...

BTW for these starts were you using the back or front brake? Not that it makes too much of a difference I don't think.

Also the bolts and phillips heads are striped because yamaha put them on WAY WAY to tight. There is no way to get these off without a 20 degree at a time impact screw driver that works with a big wack of a hammer available at sears. But even that doesn't always work so you need to drill the head off and use a screw extractor, which ruins the fastener of course hence the missing and buggered up hardware on your bike. Still if it was a dealer that did this work they should have replaced it with new hardware. I just replaced it with stuff that fit that I had in my collection of screws and bolts.

Oh yeah just change your own oil with some quality stuff. It's not too hard if you have the right oil filter wrench to not have to remove the bodywork. K&N filters help as they have a bolthead at the end of them. Also don't forget your drivechain oil replacement,very easy job too once you have dealt with the tight screws holding on the cover.

FOXedupONE screwed with this post 11-21-2009 at 12:42 PM
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
LARC0 OP
T-MAX Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE
So what happened,any updates?

Next time just get a Jcosta variator and accelerate quite quickly normally without any of that brakes on,getting the revs up, clutch and drivetrain abuse foolishness...

BTW for these starts were you using the back or front brake? Not that it makes too much of a difference I don't think.

Also the bolts and phillips heads are striped because yamaha put them on WAY WAY to tight. There is no way to get these off without a 20 degree at a time impact screw driver that works with a big wack of a hammer available at sears. But even that doesn't always work so you need to drill the head off and use a screw extractor, which ruins the fastener of course hence the missing and buggered up hardware on your bike. Still if it was a dealer that did this work they should have replaced it with new hardware. I just replaced it with stuff that fit that I had in my collection of screws and bolts.

Oh yeah just change your own oil with some quality stuff. It's not too hard if you have the right oil filter wrench to not have to remove the bodywork. K&N filters help as they have a bolthead at the end of them. Also don't forget your drivechain oil replacement,very easy job too once you have dealt with the tight screws holding on the cover.
Sorry for the looooooong delay in response, it has been a busy year!!!

I believe I had the rear held as well, this was the breaking factor I think, needless to say, I ride a lot calmer now. No need to race around wrecking my ride ya dig!

Thanks for the tips on the oil and such, I have begun to do all these repairs myself and feel better about it.

マイケル

ロケタ ROKETA BALI 150
スズキ SUZUKI GS450L