Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 108 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #451
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
We just bought a '12 TDI wagon this past Friday. We left the dealership and gave it it's break in drive on the way to the in laws over the weekend in upstate NY.

Awesome car. Highway mileage was rated at 42, but we averaged 46, and the engine still only has 600 miles on it. It's my wife's car, but I'm pretty smitten with it myself.
Gotta agree. I have the "mini wagon" aka a Golf TDI 6-speed manual. Best i've gotten is 47MPG or so on a trip, probably could get better if i'd go the speed limit... Even gets around 37mpg when towing a Polaris ATV on a trailer. Isn't the fastest thing around, but has no problem cruising at 90-100mph on the highway. Makes for a great daily driver.

After the towing trip
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #452
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by (none) View Post
Gotta agree. I have the "mini wagon" aka a Golf TDI 6-speed manual. Best i've gotten is 47MPG or so on a trip, probably could get better if i'd go the speed limit... Even gets around 37mpg when towing a Polaris ATV on a trailer. Isn't the fastest thing around, but has no problem cruising at 90-100mph on the highway. Makes for a great daily driver.
Yeah, I know this will start a Yorkshireman's one up thread but...

Our best mileage with our 03 TDI wagon occurred on the return trip from KC to Minneapolis. 75 mph, AC on all the way. 7 hours, 52 mpg that tank. Never got close to that again. Must have been one whale of a tail wind.

ymWv.
Tmaximusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #453
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by (none) View Post
I feel like we've played this game before... 2006 Jetta TDI... just doing a scientific study of what 3,000PRMs gets you... (do not attempt: driver was on closed course )

That average is the trailing average, not the second-by-second average which the display will also provide on a different screen..

Also note that I reset the trip odo after each refill...

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #454
Twin Torque
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
FWI was told, NO diesel in the 3 Series.

...but ya gotta remember, this was a sales guy talking, not BMWNA.

He had ONE 335d on the lot. Manual? No, can't get a manual with the diesel.

M
Trust me you don't want the manual with the diesel, sit back and enjoy the ride .....
Twin Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #455
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Torque View Post
Trust me you don't want the manual with the diesel, sit back and enjoy the ride .....
Always want the manual. I don't sit in traffic, so gimme a clutch and the ability to row my own.

Its getting so rare here in the US to even find a manual. They *say* they make em, but...

M
Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #456
Twin Torque
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Always want the manual. I don't sit in traffic, so gimme a clutch and the ability to row my own.

Its getting so rare here in the US to even find a manual. They *say* they make em, but...

M
Nope not for that engine, the manual is not what suits it, steptronic auto every time
Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #457
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
Quote:
Nope not for that engine, the manual is not what suits it, steptronic auto every time
If I end up with one, I'll HAVE to have the auto.

M
Old 08-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #458
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
According to Carscoop Porsche is going to reveal a prototype Panamera "Shooting Brake" sometime this fall. I've seen sketches somewhere and I must admit the Panamera wagon looks pretty cool - I've always liked wagons and the Panamera so combining the two seems like a win to me.
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #459
Twin Torque
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If I end up with one, I'll HAVE to have the auto.

M
I understand where you're coming from but honestly for that engine the steptronic just aces it, you certainly wont be disappointed
Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #460
Flirtin w/Disaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Everything but quality

150k with long repair bill but can't give up yet.

Flirtin w/Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #461
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
I disagree, as do many others. I have a manual with the 2.0 CRD TDI in Jetta Sportwagen (Golf Variant) form, and I think it suits it exceedingly well. It's quite satisfying taking a long on-ramp in 4th and feeling the meat of the torque curve before upshifting.

The general consensus on tdiclub.com is that the manual transmission Golf and JSW TDI's get up 10% better economy on average, with the same difference (slightly less, perhaps) in the 2012+ Passat TDI (North America/China only).

Plus it's a hell of a lot more fun than an automatic, or even a DSG (which the Steptronic isn't). I commute with my TDI in some of the nastier traffic in North America. While I enjoy manuals, I'm not a "manual or die" purist like some others; I generally wouldn't drive a manual in LA rush hour traffic - the TDI is the only exception to that rule, precisely because the engine's torque curve is so well suited to a manual.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #462
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flirtin w/Disaster View Post
150k with long repair bill but can't give up yet.
We had great luck with our 2000 Taurus wagon......couldn't really complain about the reliability at all. Hated the brakes and the transmission, but otherwise it was a fine car.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #463
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,165
BMW calls it an SAV, to me its a tall wagon.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #464
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,925
They aren't reliable at all, the interiors seem to fall apart after 8 years, but damn do they drive right and have a ton of space:

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #465
Twin Torque
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
I disagree, as do many others. I have a manual with the 2.0 CRD TDI in Jetta Sportwagen (Golf Variant) form, and I think it suits it exceedingly well. It's quite satisfying taking a long on-ramp in 4th and feeling the meat of the torque curve before upshifting.

The general consensus on tdiclub.com is that the manual transmission Golf and JSW TDI's get up 10% better economy on average, with the same difference (slightly less, perhaps) in the 2012+ Passat TDI (North America/China only).

Plus it's a hell of a lot more fun than an automatic, or even a DSG (which the Steptronic isn't). I commute with my TDI in some of the nastier traffic in North America. While I enjoy manuals, I'm not a "manual or die" purist like some others; I generally wouldn't drive a manual in LA rush hour traffic - the TDI is the only exception to that rule, precisely because the engine's torque curve is so well suited to a manual.
Well you can disagree all you want, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however you're talking about a different manufacturer never mind a much smaller engine......

and as I said for the BMW 3 and 3.5's the steptronic box is what suits the engine and gets the best from it.

You may prefer the manual which is fine, but the steptronic gets the best from the engine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: