User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #571
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
^ Was teenager around that time with a 289 in large station wagon. Family wagon trips from Houston to Bryans Beach where we drove to where the Brazos River emptied into the Gulf. We would catch crabs and pry oysters in the back water bay while fishing and giging for flounder at nightfall. All this was mixed in with prodigious amounts of gun fire from 30-06, 44 mag and Browning hump 12 gauge. It was Lord of the Flies with monster bonfires at night. These were the best times of my life.

Slingshot from the back draft onto the oncoming lane and passing multiple cars while creeping up to and past 100 mph was how I leaned to drive.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #572
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,077
Gummee - You are right about the M/B dealer. Our local one wanted $1200 to remove the head and inspect it. If it was good (I do strongly believe that it is, the motor was never overheated) they wanted $2500 more to reassemble. That was labor only, so plus parts.

I found a competent indy who is familiar w/ older M/B's who is fixing it for less than $2k w/ parts, including new water pump. Beyond this repair I don't see any current or looming issues. The PO (who is the original owner) took extremely good care of it and provided a full maintenance and repair history. It really is in excellent condition.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #573
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post
^ Was teenager around that time with a 289 in large station wagon. Family wagon trips from Houston to Bryans Beach where we drove to where the Brazos River emptied into the Gulf. We would catch crabs and pry oysters in the back water bay while fishing and giging for flounder at nightfall. All this was mixed in with prodigious amounts of gun fire from 30-06, 44 mag and Browning hump 12 gauge. It was Lord of the Flies with monster bonfires at night. These were the best times of my life.

Slingshot from the back draft onto the oncoming lane and passing multiple cars while creeping up to and past 100 mph was how I leaned to drive.
Ahhh, a little trip down memory lane - ours was a '71 Dodge Monaco wagon (with the 440 Magnum). At lunchtime we would play ping pong on the hood in the high school parking lot. Over time it got neglected - sat a winter off to the side in the driveway where it didn't survive a Nor'easter - suspension collapsed under the weight of a few feet of snow that no one bothered to remove (I was off at college). My dad paid someone to take it away. But good memories.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #574
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Gummee - You are right about the M/B dealer. Our local one wanted $1200 to remove the head and inspect it. If it was good (I do strongly believe that it is, the motor was never overheated) they wanted $2500 more to reassemble. That was labor only, so plus parts.

I found a competent indy who is familiar w/ older M/B's who is fixing it for less than $2k w/ parts, including new water pump. Beyond this repair I don't see any current or looming issues. The PO (who is the original owner) took extremely good care of it and provided a full maintenance and repair history. It really is in excellent condition.

PM me the info when you get a chance. Despite you being C-ville...

My Benz DID overheat. Weird day that day. Hasn't done it since, but I do get what I think is a rod knock now.

M
Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #575
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #576
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,472
That Holden is awesome. I wish there were mid to full size wagons available. It looks like we are going to get the focus hatchback. I'd go for a fusion wagon in a heartbeat.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #577
Jholmes105
GORIDE

Oddometer: 52
Holy Crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski.dive View Post
looks like a 1961 chevy wagon?

I have that Ducati!
Jholmes105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #578
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,734
My best friends family had a 76 Pontiac Grand Safari with the optional 455. I can remember bombing down I95 with him for a party at Wheaton, blasting past all kinds of cars. At 85 mph you could watch th gas gage move.

They eventually nicknamed it the Millenium Falcon. It was traded in to the dealer, who kept it for a number of years as a delivery vehicle for parts - they kept the Millenium Falcon nickname.

231" long
Weight 5,300 lbs
Roughly 400 ft lbs of torque.

Something like this.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #579
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
That Holden is awesome. I wish there were mid to full size wagons available. It looks like we are going to get the focus hatchback. I'd go for a fusion wagon in a heartbeat.
I have the Focus hatchback too. Great car. We don't get the Focus wagon in Aus or I would have bought one
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #580
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saso View Post
Ahhh, a little trip down memory lane - ours was a '71 Dodge Monaco wagon (with the 440 Magnum). At lunchtime we would play ping pong on the hood in the high school parking lot. Over time it got neglected - sat a winter off to the side in the driveway where it didn't survive a Nor'easter - suspension collapsed under the weight of a few feet of snow that no one bothered to remove (I was off at college). My dad paid someone to take it away. But good memories.
I can't tell you what I did with our station wagon, they're (fixed for Saso) still looking for me.

straightrod screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 08:43 AM
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #581
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 857
They're.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #582
91Eunos
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
91Eunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #583
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
James Bond gets married, has kids. Mrs Bond needs a grocery-getter, w/ room for all the little Bonds.

Fine then. Nothing Q can't build.

"This 1965 shooting brake – let’s skip the origins of the nomenclature, and just agree that it’s a highfalutin’ name for a station wagon – was constructed by Harold Radford & Co., a London Rolls-Royce and Bentley dealer that began building coachwork in the 1940s. Radford converted six DB6s to shooting brakes, along with a dozen DB5s. This particular example, chassis number DB6/2387/LNK, is one of five left-hand-drive DB6 versions and was ordered by one James Harrison of Madison Avenue (an original Mad Man?), who specified air conditioning and a high-output 325hp Vantage DOHC straight-six."

Story here.....
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ck/?refer=news

Click these links for more full-size pics.
http://images.hemmings.com/wp-conten...ke_02_1500.jpg
http://images.hemmings.com/wp-conten...ke_03_1500.jpg
http://images.hemmings.com/wp-conten...ke_05_1500.jpg
http://images.hemmings.com/wp-conten...ke_04_1500.jpg
http://images.hemmings.com/wp-conten...ke_01_1500.jpg

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #584
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloryII View Post

factory holden crewcab cross 8 ( awd with a 5.7 )

... we now return you to your regular channel.

Chrysler aust' last hoorah.

FR700 screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 05:51 AM
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #585
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
factory holden crewcab cross 8 ( awd with a 5.7 )

Yikes.... The FrankenTruck...

Looks like the front this:

+

The middle of this....

+

The back end of this

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: