User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
gofargogo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
98 VFR vs Tiger 1050?

How does the 1050 compare to a 98 VFR when it comes to road riding? Specifically, lumpy, tar seamed, crumbly roads? I've had a VFR and sold it because was just too punishing on the roads I enjoy the most.

I'm looking to pick up a tiger in some form this year, and frankly I'm undecided between the 955i, the 1050 and the 800XC. If price was no object, it'd be an XC (based on paper and owner reports), but alas, price is always an object. The 955i seems like the best fit to my riding style, if I'm honest, but I have a hard time getting past it's looks. The 1050 looks better to me, but I fear it's too road oriented. I'm sure a few test rides would help decide things, but I haven't been able to set any up yet.
gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
If ofroad is very important id look at Tiger 800XC or BMW F800GS.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
If you do your research you'll find alot of folks dont care much for the 1050s suspension or headlights. Both can be remedied though.

The 955i likely has its weak points too but the reviews and owners love them seems to me the 1050s just dont seem to have the following maybe its just my perception.

The 800s are very cool likely easier to handle off road but judging merely by a sit test i suspect the 955i makes for a little comfier traveler.

Btw......you'll miss the sounds of that vfr forever.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD

elementalg20 screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 12:02 AM
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 687
I have 25000 on a 1050, so here goes:
Headlights need work. Almost every bike made needs aux lights-1050 no exception. Easy fix to add aux lights-pick what you like. As much for daytime safety as anything else.

Stock suspension is fine for crappy roads ta a sane pace. Most of us rebuild them when needed (mine at 10000) with better components Again, not unlike most motorcycles.

The motor's fantastic.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,911
VFRs with stock suspension are pretty awful on rough, bumpy, crumbly roads. They are overdamped and undersrpung so you get a harsh ride over bumps yet the bike still feels a little mushy when you really push it. This can all be fixed, of course, but budget around $1K if you want to do the front and back.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
gofargogo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I do miss the sound of that VFR. It was my 4th V4 over the last 22 years, and it was the most amazing sounding vehicle I've ever ridden. I suppose a Mustang or Spitfire would sound better, but not by much. But on the stock suspension the roads in Sonoma County (among the worst in a state which has the worst roads in the nation) just beat the crap out of me anytime I wasn't on the freeway.

I'm riding an XR650R now, and while it's brilliant on the worst roads I can find here, the windblast and comfort leave much to be desired on freeway trips. A tiger (of some sort) seems like a good compromise between the two. Now that you mention it, I have noticed that 955i owners seem to be particularly vocal about their love for the bike, and 1050 owners stress their love for the engine.
gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
The three components that make any motorcycle what it is are: chassis geometry (rake / trail / wheel base), suspension, and engine. The Honda V4s and Triumph Triples are wonderful engines. What you seem to be saying is that you need the right suspension and geometry to match the roads that you ride. I would modify a VFR suspension, but that's me. (The geometry is a little steep for back roads.) If the roads are really bad, you need a more relaxed geometry - flatter rake, more trail, longer wheel base. So a Tiger or even a Super Tenere are moves in the right direction. Unfortunately, both of these also need suspension modifications to provide the compliance that you seem to need. So, if you need to spend money to fix ANY suspension, you might what to pick the chassis geometry first (along with the engine), and plan on suspension mods to match.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Shastarider
Head and Eyes

Oddometer: 71
You are looking at two very differnt bikes in my opinion. I have a 07 Tiger and an RC51 in the garage. I will grab the Tiger much, much more often than the RC. From the riding surfaces you described the Tiger is pefect. The suspension could use some help, depending on your wieght. I am 225 for a point of reference.

I am quite sure it has a bit more pop than the VFR as well. I swapped of buddies 2009 FZ1 and we both fuond the Tiger stronger.

The riding position is very nice on the 1050. For example, my communte to work last Saturday was 100 miles. The trip home was 196 miles thru the Sierras the same day. I do not hesistate in doing 10 hours of riding a day on the Tiger.

The Tiger has given me no reason what so ever to bring it to the dealer for any work. I was a bit concnered about this when I bought it new since my nearest Triumph delaer is 2:30 minutes to the north or south. You could say it is Honda like reliable.

From what I have seen on the used market, you cant beat the value of the 1050 Tiger.

Cheers
Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
I have both of those bikes. The stock suspension on the VFR was problematic, as in non-adjustable & bad high speed compression(hit hard over pavement separations). Installing Honda F3 fork internals & re-springing cured that. A Penske rear shock balanced the bike. Suspension is now perfect--for me.

The stock Tiger 1050 suspension is weak for any one over 160 lbs & the bad part is, it will pack on really bumpy stuff & put you off the road. Since it also has Showa suspension, Honda F3 parts work wonders in it as well. Replaced the shock spring with a Triumph Sprint spring & re-valved the shock stack. Perfect again.

I tour on the VFR & have been in some really nasty, rocky places with no problem. These would have been a major problem with stock suspension.

The Tiger has a more upright seating position which I am still getting used to. Wide bars give plenty of leverage for evading the bad stuff. Also a lighter bike than the VFR. Power--they are both good, but you will shift more on the VFR.

Racetech can fit you up with suspension for both. Call & ask for Terry--he knows how to make them work.

Bottom Line--both are good bikes, but not necessarily for the same purpose.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastarider View Post
You are looking at two very differnt bikes in my opinion. I have a 07 Tiger and an RC51 in the garage. I will grab the Tiger much, much more often than the RC. From the riding surfaces you described the Tiger is pefect. The suspension could use some help, depending on your wieght. I am 225 for a point of reference.

I am quite sure it has a bit more pop than the VFR as well. I swapped of buddies 2009 FZ1 and we both fuond the Tiger stronger.

The riding position is very nice on the 1050. For example, my communte to work last Saturday was 100 miles. The trip home was 196 miles thru the Sierras the same day. I do not hesistate in doing 10 hours of riding a day on the Tiger.

The Tiger has given me no reason what so ever to bring it to the dealer for any work. I was a bit concnered about this when I bought it new since my nearest Triumph delaer is 2:30 minutes to the north or south. You could say it is Honda like reliable.

From what I have seen on the used market, you cant beat the value of the 1050 Tiger.

Cheers
This is helpful info. I have been debating between a super tenere and a vstrom to do some touring, would be buying both new. No off road at all, mostly interstate travel, just lookign for long range comfort. So when I found an 07 tiger for the price of a downpayment on the tenere, it got me scratching my head. Do i really need a brand new bike to tour the south?! The tiger tooks like it could be perfect at a much lower price.... you seem to be making a good case for the tiger.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,947
I also have a 1050 and after susp work and mounting slightly lower dirtbike style handlebars the bike is the most comfortable I've ever owned and works very well on a wide variety of terrain including forest service roads which can turn ugly real quick. It is ,to my experience at least,very sensitive to tire types and wear. When the rear starts to flatten out it doesn't like to hold a line . Headlights are another story. Just get aux. lights and don't waste money on different bulbs.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Shastarider
Head and Eyes

Oddometer: 71
MariousD...
Since you have been looking at the VSTROM I can telll you there is no comparison with the Tiger. The 1050 Tiger will eat it up. Cant speak to the Tenere. I think if you lined them up the Tenere would be most dirt worthy with the Tiger being the most sporty. The VSTROM would fall in the middle but bike to bike would fall short of the other two.

If you are looking at striclty interstate travel, I would suggest you look in another direction. If you want to do long hours on twisty roads you are on target.

You hit that value thing right on the head. My Tiger will/might be for sale mid summer. I am not selling for any reason that has to do with the bike itself. 4 bikes in the gagrage would be very hard to justify, even to myself.

When I started checking into what a good used Tiger was going for it was suprising to me. I do not understand it one bit. I would challenge anyone to find more performance and versatilty in a used bike 2007 or later than the Tiger. Best description I have heard of the Tiger 1050 is that it is an "adult sport bike". When I discovered what I can propably get for it on the open market I started thinking I just may keep it and add to the stable. 4 bikies be damned!

MPG runs right around 43-45. Can get 50 plus if you can keep your wrist in check. The tripple is a very unique motor. It will rev like a 4, has the torque of a twin but alot less engine breaking on down shifts than a 4 or twin. I have not had to even do the chain or sprockets and its got 18k. The only down side is that is likes the taste of rubber. I know its rider depandant but I have yet to get more than 3500 miles out of a set of tires. Thats runing "sport touring" tires.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,143
My Tiger SHINES on junky New Englad frost heaved pavement... the sport bikes fall back, WAY back!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
Don't know about the 1050, But I sat on a 955i, and I would take that over a VFR anytime. I tried road riding on a KLR, the riding position was fine, but the seat was awful. The 955i feels like a bigger, more comfortable KLR. The VFR feels like a CBR1000.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastarider View Post
MariousD...
Since you have been looking at the VSTROM I can telll you there is no comparison with the Tiger. The 1050 Tiger will eat it up. Cant speak to the Tenere. I think if you lined them up the Tenere would be most dirt worthy with the Tiger being the most sporty. The VSTROM would fall in the middle but bike to bike would fall short of the other two.

If you are looking at striclty interstate travel, I would suggest you look in another direction. If you want to do long hours on twisty roads you are on target.

You hit that value thing right on the head. My Tiger will/might be for sale mid summer. I am not selling for any reason that has to do with the bike itself. 4 bikes in the gagrage would be very hard to justify, even to myself.

When I started checking into what a good used Tiger was going for it was suprising to me. I do not understand it one bit. I would challenge anyone to find more performance and versatilty in a used bike 2007 or later than the Tiger. Best description I have heard of the Tiger 1050 is that it is an "adult sport bike". When I discovered what I can propably get for it on the open market I started thinking I just may keep it and add to the stable. 4 bikies be damned!

MPG runs right around 43-45. Can get 50 plus if you can keep your wrist in check. The tripple is a very unique motor. It will rev like a 4, has the torque of a twin but alot less engine breaking on down shifts than a 4 or twin. I have not had to even do the chain or sprockets and its got 18k. The only down side is that is likes the taste of rubber. I know its rider depandant but I have yet to get more than 3500 miles out of a set of tires. Thats runing "sport touring" tires.
Cool beans, that's pretty much how I percieve the 1050 tiger. I'm curious though what you meant about interstate travel (highlighted above). What is it about the tiger that makes it a compromise for long hours on the highway?
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote