Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #151
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,375
Had an 94 CB1000 (the big one) for ten years..loved that bike..then went to a 05 R1200GS..for three years and 30K miles..GS went bye bye..out of my control and I found a crashed up CB1000 94 on Flea Bay for cheap..got her home..fixed her up..first ride I knew it was a mistake..I don't think I could ever go back to a four again..on top of the mistake was the bike was in way worse condition than it was portrayed on Flea Bay...I tried to lover her again..just couldn't do it...That funky GS motor got me real bad...now it's a twin or a thumper..nothing else.
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #152
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,319
I thought so in the first 50 miles...

I recently got the bug for another big dual sport. I had a Kawasaki ZRX1200R, but live on a small ten acre ranch outside Albuquerque. There are riding areas or at least places to ride off road up here, as well as on my land and my inlaws land adjacent to mine. I also live up a dirt/gravel access road that gets snow every year and muddy sloppy durring the summer when it rains so the big kwaker wasn't up to that task, although Loved the thing for everything else!

I found a guy who had a 2006 TE610 here on ADV we made a deal met and traded. We met in Las Vegas NM about 200 miles from my house. When we traded I immediately loved the Husky, but as soon as I had spent an initial 15 minutes on the freeway, I thought I had possibly made a big mistake. That quickly disappeared when I had ridden it for about an hour and decided I could fix the seat problem and it would be great. As soon as I got to the mountain roads again and OFF the freeway, I knew I would love this bike for good and then i hit a dirt road and it was heavenly bliss.

So I thought I had made a huge mistake, but happily it turned out to not be by a large margin.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #153
dogfm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
K1

K1 was my first bike, I loved it :) Did 18,000 miles in 15 months toured France, top speed was fine and once chipped it felt quicker. I loved the looks ...

As I'd just passed my test the dealer would only let me take it out on the road if I did a couple of circuits of their car park first.

However I'm not sure that I'd have another one, I guess it would feel heavy steering / handling and not as quick as I remember - best not to revisit

Funnily enough the bike after that one was a 1150GS and that was the one I regretted.
dogfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #154
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,501
Way back, back into time, I bought a CB650 when Honda was blowing out early Eighties bikes. Dealer had to order it. The thing fouled the plugs the first week (only4-stroke I've had that ever did that) and didn't really make much more power that the CM400 it replaced even after the plugs were changed. Only Honda I've ever owned that I didn't like.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #155
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,425
When my little bride told me we had a bun in the oven, I decided I didn't need a bike payment - so I sold my GL1500 and used the $$$ I got out of it to buy a late 80's model Honda VT1100 Shadow. I always liked the look and sound of those things, but had never ridden one. Well let me tell ya it was a BIG CHANGE from the 'Wing. I had to have a full face helmet right away because there was no wind protection. That thing made a sail out of me. It was all I could do to ride it 30 miles at a time...

but after a while I learned to ride it like it was meant to be ridden. It's a "stop and smell the roses" kind of bike. I spent several pleasurable afternoons with it exploring the country side, although never getting very far from home. I guess if I had added a windshield and a backrest it would have been fine.

A buddy of mine liked it alot, and when I lost my job just after the baby was born, I sold it to him. I didn't want to though.
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #156
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
I noticed while pulling out of the lot on my shiny new '98 Daytona that I probably should have bought something smaller than 955cc considering that I'd never ridden a bike before I took the MSF a week earlier.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #157
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
At one point, I owned an almost-pristine 1993 CBR 600F2. Loved the thing to death... I put a bit over 4000 miles in 4 months on it before winter hit and froze me in. Next spring, I was helping my friend shop for his first bike, and found a 2006 Ninja 650R - brand new, race exhaust, enhanced suspension, power commander, all that - and affordable too. I rode it, enjoyed it some, and bought the thing about 3 days later - traded the CBR for it.

Riding it home I could tell I'd made the wrong decision. It had guts, and a decent suspension (probably better than the CBR to be honest), but it had no soul - there was simply no joy in riding the thing. It was mostly reliable (warm start issue where it flooded sometimes), and rode well enough (I FLOGGED it in the mountains), but nothing stirred me when I looked at it - it just was a bike. I put almost 5000 miles on it in a year, riding around town/etc, and finally traded it on a Sportster 1200R and never looked back. Loved that sporty.

The second one comes after that... I drove the sporty for 8000 miles that first year - got it in march, and rode through winter storms/etc and had a total blast. But, it didn't quite fit me - I'm 6'1 and 270 lbs, and the narrow frame for it just didn't quite sit right (I'd ride long, and dose up on the advil when I got there to survive) - so I decided to buy a big twin. I bought my Dyna right after that with the dream of making a big twin handle, and while it's a decent bike, it just doesn't stir me like the sporty did either :( It's plenty fast with the mods, and rides ok, and the ohlins I'm looking at would make it handle, but I'm not sure if it calls to me either. AH well... that was an expensive mistake. Took it on a long trip this summer, and it did ok at that, but it's hot, heavy, and just... well, I'm not sure. It's love/hate, and it's always switching between the too (gorgeous bike though!).

Don't know what I'll do yet, but I'm kinda tempted by a scrambler or a v-strom to add as a daily rider, and make the harley just a cruise and enjoy bike. Dunno yet.

Wish I hadn't sold that Sporty though.
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #158
Grumpy
Grumpy

Oddometer: 319
Short answer - Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!! and thats after riding for around fifty years
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #159
Ride-a-lot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I bought a KLR650 to do some light gravel road riding. I bought it on a Saturday morning. I knew it was old Tech but figured how bad could it really be. So many people seem to love them. After 65 miles I knew what a steaming pile of shit it was. After owning it for less than 3 hours I had a FOR SALE ad posted for it. Sold it 3 days later. Lesson learned!

No more underpowered, nearly brakeless bikes for me. Hell the 70 year old tractor in Grandpas shed had better brakes than that thing. The KLR "probably" would have beat the tractor in a dragrace though.
Ride-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #160
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-a-lot
I bought a KLR650 to do some light gravel road riding. I bought it on a Saturday morning. I knew it was old Tech but figured how bad could it really be. So many people seem to love them. After 65 miles I knew what a steaming pile of shit it was. After owning it for less than 3 hours I had a FOR SALE ad posted for it. Sold it 3 days later. Lesson learned!

No more underpowered, nearly brakeless bikes for me. Hell the 70 year old tractor in Grandpas shed had better brakes than that thing. The KLR "probably" would have beat the tractor in a drag race though.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #161
BrookTrout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Here's a guy that immediately realized a $20000 mistake. Bummer dude...

MOD EDIT: NO Craigslist links please.

In case the ad expires, here's what it said:

2009 Ducati 1198s black - $19500 (Washington)

New, recently purchased. 0 miles. Black. Buyers remorse. No pictures necessary. Still at the dealership although titled. 360-921-xxxx
BrookTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #162
Kicksave
wannabeema

Oddometer: 168
Twice

I bought a used 95 KTM Duke. Had a 20 Fwy ride home. Felt like resting my nuts on a paint shaker. And it was a finicky cold starter. Had to perform a Pagan ritual every morning to get it to fire up.

Second was a 2002 Honda VTX 1800. Low-slung and sexy, in a cruiser sort of way. Big motor with 106 HP. But heavy, slow steering, rough riding, and an annoying vertical hop from the shaft drive when shifted in the first 3 gears.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #163
gasgaseffinfast
Ahh, f*ck it.

Oddometer: 813
Ducati 749R. Rode a 749 and it felt comfy, but when I took delivery of the higher spec R, it had a different (larger) gas tank which pressed right into my guts, made it awful to ride. Sold it with 75 miles on it, could have changed the tank I guess, but it was such torture to ride I just wanted to get rid of it.
gasgaseffinfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #164
Hot Sauce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird
Last month traded my 91 K75S for a 08 KLR650 with 3000 miles. The jury is still out...
I hate to dredge up an old reply, but the K75S is among one of the Great Motorcycles I've owned. There was nothing particularly sexy or exhilarating about it, but it just worked on so many levels. That triple has legions of internet groupies and remains one of the smoothest plants ever made. I sold mine for a K11RS and still managed to regret it.

Some guy near Daytona, FL has my '88 red/black S and I want you to know that I miss her, dearly. Ask me about the pre 9/11 in-flight drunkeness needed to ease the idea that I had just made the worst mistake of my life.
Hot Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #165
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-a-lot

No more underpowered, nearly brakeless bikes for me. Hell the 70 year old tractor in Grandpas shed had better brakes than that thing. The KLR "probably" would have beat the tractor in a dragrace though.
I thought I was the only one on the planet not to like my '96 KLR 650; skinny tires, spindley little forks, marshmallow suspension, and those shitty brakes!
I tossed it down the road 3 times in 4 months and sold it. Shortest time I ever owned a bike. I'm sure they're great for their intended audience, but not my cup of tea.