Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #211
amycyclenut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I experienced this recently. I had always ridden cruisers and they were great where I lived, TX & MA, but about 2 years ago I moved to SC where the curvy roads of the mountains are a little bit of heaven. At the time, I had a little 750 Shadow that I was ready to get rid of. I happened to stop by one of the local dealers and fell in love with the Triumph America.

Of course I took it in the mountains and I realized, I just couldn't ride the mountains like I wanted to on it. This is really the first time I have made such a significant buying decision only to really regret it. It just wasn't the right bike for the location and my desires.

On one of my trips to my favorite BMW/Ducati dealership (I have friends that work there), there happen to be a new lowered F650GS. It caught my eye, I sat on it and immediately new it was the bike.

Traded them the America for the GS and I haven't looked back.
1974 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150
amycyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #212
sark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by amycyclenut
I experienced this recently. I had always ridden cruisers and they were great where I lived, TX & MA, but about 2 years ago I moved to SC where the curvy roads of the mountains are a little bit of heaven. At the time, I had a little 750 Shadow that I was ready to get rid of. I happened to stop by one of the local dealers and fell in love with the Triumph America.

Of course I took it in the mountains and I realized, I just couldn't ride the mountains like I wanted to on it. This is really the first time I have made such a significant buying decision only to really regret it. It just wasn't the right bike for the location and my desires.

On one of my trips to my favorite BMW/Ducati dealership (I have friends that work there), there happen to be a new lowered F650GS. It caught my eye, I sat on it and immediately new it was the bike.

Traded them the America for the GS and I haven't looked back.

Thats interesting to hear because I have read that the america/speedmaster is one of the best handling middleweight cruisers available.
sark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #213

Oddometer: 5,420
I'm starting to regret having bought my Triple 2 years ago. Never really had much of a problem with it. It never left me stranded and although I'm a big guy it's reasonably comfortable.

The problem is I think it has ruined me on other bikes. I think its the engine more than anything but new to me bikes really need to work hard to make me love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #214
Stagger
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Bought a 350 Kawa triple when I was a kid and unemployed. Nearly killed me on the way home with the powerband spread of about 1500rpm coming on around 5 grand. Nothing before and nothing after. It had a holder for 3 spare plugs under the seat! That was there for good reason...fouled more plugs than I've had hot dinners. Yes the z9 I got after it was like spaceage technology.

Regards stagger.
Stagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #215
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220
Are my eyes having "a moment" and that K1 has a BT45 bias ply front and a Pilot Road rear?

The only POS I've owned was an RD400, but I knew it was a POS going in and couldn't afford anything else. Then again I'm looking hard at Buells, and I have a feeling I'd have a good bout of self-loathing for a good while if I came home with one
I rode a 1200 Buell for an hour,an 06 I believe,chip,pipe etc. Interesting bike but the handling is really an aqquired taste,powerband is very narrow,bike stands up under braking and when on the gas out of a corner. Amusing but................. The newest ones are probably pretty neat.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #216
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyhound
For me it was a Honda xr350 about 1985-86 I think.

I was a fast B hare scramble rider at that time, usually top 3.

It would never start right away on the dead engine starts so I got really good at passing on tight single track, until you tipped that bike on it's side.

There are only 2 ways to start a flooded Xr350.

The first requires a stick or sharp blade of grass. You must poke yourself in the eye, enough to get the tears really flowing.. If that fuckin bike didn't see tears it would not start, and I could never cry on demand.

The second starting method was less painful but more time consuming.
If you simply sat and waited it always fired right up just as soon as at least half of the C rider class had passed you by.

You could kick it all day but until at least 1 beginning rider duck walked past you in first gear it would never fire up.

That bike probably kept me in B class at least 1-2 years longer than I deserved.
Hah! I had the exact same experience with a 91 DR350,it would sometimes start rt up in the morning if I left a heating pad on the engine overnight,but if it stalled during the crucial warm up period it was going to be a bad day. If it was turned off while it was hot during a trail ride,sometimes it would wear out 3 people before it might start. I changed carbs,tuning all of which made it quite a bit worse and get horrible mileage to boot. I also spent $$$ trying to make it not tank slap into and out of corners when at full chat. Heavy horrible piece O crap.
A kid offered to trade me a 94 Husky 610 for it. I snapped it up so quick it made his head spin. The 610 was a blast! 6th gear wheelies were with in reach,climbed huge sandhills like they were nothing. Didnt turn at all on singletrack but flew on fast sections.
Ive just bought a used 07 Triumph Scrambler so we'll see how that goes.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #217
Farmer_Ted
Crazy Kid!

Oddometer: 303
Haven't bought a bike I hated myself later for doing... But I did sell one I wish I didn't.

A 2001 Red Suzuki SV650... Such a fun machine. If someone would buy my R1100S, I would get another SV in a heart beat...

Current Ride - 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Farmer_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #218
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
I rode a 1200 Buell for an hour,an 06 I believe,chip,pipe etc. Interesting bike but the handling is really an aqquired taste,powerband is very narrow,bike stands up under braking and when on the gas out of a corner. Amusing but................. The newest ones are probably pretty neat.
I've got an 09'. Everything you mention above ......... remains. Exactly.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #219
Daryl_Stamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
[quote=jonathonbarton]Yes.
* When on the set of an adult movie shoot. (though that has fairly high comedy potential...)
* When the right one walks in on you, and isn't inclined to join you two. (this however, does not...)

I'm still on the fence whether my '94 R1100RS is a mistake.
Bad: 178,000 miles
Good: Absolutely *immaculate* maintenance records (I spent 3 hours entering 285 individual records into Excel) - to include tire changes, and how many miles each set of tires was worth.
quote]

That girl's been around the block; but with 178,000 miles must have been one hell of a ride.

DLS
Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #220
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13

The problem is I think it has ruined me on other bikes. I think its the engine more than anything but new to me bikes really need to work hard to make me love them.

my 2006 speed triple has ruined me for other bikes. It's altered my perception of how much fun a motorcycle needs to be to be worth owning. I ride other bikes and think they're garbage. It has turned me into a complete motorcycle snob now. I have trouble even considering another street bike as it would be rarely ridden
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #221
matapo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Laugh

Not exactly mistake. I thought that i should ride a smaller bike before i get the R1200GS i alwayz wanted.
I bought a brand new yamaha MT-03.Nice bike,easy and fun to ride.
Sold it a year later loosing nearly a third of the money i gave....
Moneywise it was stupid but as they say you have to pay to learn.
At least I now own the GS I alwayz wanted.
Great bike!

PS Anyone know which pair of earplugs should I BUY? You can hear too many engine noises in those damn boxers
matapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #222
Detroit Steve
Homely Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Fjr-1300 2004

What a steaming pile...handles like a truck, hot, heavy, with mediocre fit and finish. A serious mile eater with a low entertainment/fun factor. The first bike I ever owned that I when was riding it I was thinking on how I wish I was driving my pickup instead. I just sold it after about 8 months at a serious loss.

Detroit Steve screwed with this post 03-23-2010 at 06:59 AM
Detroit Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #223
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerSteve
What a steaming pile...handles like a truck, hot, heavy, with mediocre fit and finish. A serious mile eater with a low entertainment/fun factor. The first bike I ever owned that I when was riding it I was thinking on how I wish I was driving my pickup instead. I just sold it after about 8 months at a serious loss.
My cousin just picked up an 01 red sv650 w/ 24,000 miles on her for $1700 bucks. Great bike! Snappy as hell and comfortable. And dirt cheap
Old 03-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #224
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,298
I bought a Sears 106 [Gilera] at Vintage Days Auction one year. It was cute. I fell out of like while pushing it across the bridge toward the pits. The front tire was flat and that didn't help.
I tried to sell it three different people who looked at it on the push. No takers. I got it running in an hour or so . As it warmed up the knocking sound from the motor got louder.
It's still for sale. Cheap!
I rode my friends GL500 Turbo Honda and learned the feel of it coming on boost was neat but not enough to offset the heavy, dead feeling of the steering.Won't be having one of those.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #225
sagalout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Honda Blackbird - the reviews were so good I didnt think I needed to test ride it. Hated it from ride home and never really changed. Dull power delivery (fast, but in a boring Honda way rather than an exciting Kawasaki way!) and ponderous handling that no amount of fettling could sort. I had come from 'proper' sportbikes though, so probably just wasnt ready for a heavy sports tourer, as everyone else seems to love them

sagalout is offline   Reply With Quote