User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #241
northcedar
mailman

Oddometer: 6
Should have known when I bought it from a girl

I got the hot's for a 05' Yamaha TW200 I found on Craigslist a few years ago.
Under 500 miles, 250 miles away, perfect condition, 2600 bucks."Sold!" I told her on the phone, made a road trip out of it . . . Beautiful! Not.
I don't know how it was ridden during that short break-in but it was about the most gutless thing I ever rode. Never seemed seemed as if it were winding up on the pipe and like some kind of governor on the top end. I tried fiddling with the carb and everything I could think of but it never really felt right. It also only had an electric starter, odd for a dual sport bike I thought. Regardless, I road it quite a bit and eventually put higher gears in used it as a commuter to work for about 6 months. It looked cool, always got great mileage (80mpg) and it was really fun to dive low into corners on those big fat tires. I then came across an all original 87' TW200 with only 600 miles, mint. It had been sitting in a storage locker unstarted for ten years. I bought it for 1500 bucks, cleaned out the carb, new oil and gas, swapped the battery out of the newer one, it's been a champ ever since. Way better acceleration and higher revs and both electric and a kick start to boot. I took the still new looking 05' down to a local motorcycle shop and told them I'd trade em' straight across for a 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa I'd spotted in the used section. They went for it, and I never looked back. I keep both the 250 Sherpa and that original year TW200, they are quite different but each do what they are meant to do so well I hate to sell either one. Both street legal, the Sherpa is cold blooded ass hell to start but loves to run at redline, has 6 gears and will flat out kick trail riding ass once it gets warmed up. The TW is a choke-kick-go gas miser great for trips to the store and just about the most fun you can have in a bush with your pants on . . . just point and shoot, it goes over everything.
2000 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa
1987 Yamaha TW200
northcedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #242
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Bought an 03 Triumph Speed Triple. First and last Triumph I will ever own.
What a POS.
gallinastrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #243
longdog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Traded my beloved Buell XB12X Ulysses for a Tiger 1050..........

The Tiger was a great bike, went well, economical, comfortable, etc. but we just didn't gel together and it wasn't a patch on my old Uly.

Just found out that 9 months later, my old Uly is still at the dealers AND they've dropped the price too...........................
longdog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #244
Meltdown
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Oddometer: 1,738
Yamaha Virago 535.

Guy I knew was down on his luck and I said "what the Hell" and bought it. The next day I took it on a 30 mile ride. My ass fell asleep during the 1st 15 minutes. I hated it.

Happily I was able to sell it for $700 more than I paid for it a week later. I was so unhappy with it I would have sold it for $700 less if it meant getting that mechanical asshole out of my garage. I just lucked out on that deal.

Join us! The Central Florida Tag-o-Rama
Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #245
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Ya, I bought my bike and realized I should never have gotten married.
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #246
Meltdown
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbed
Ya, I bought my bike and realized I should never have gotten married.
There's still time. Offer to take her along and if not, go by yourself. Trust me on this. My ex bitched up a storm about my bike and I finally decided "enough" and went anyway. The current Mrs. Meltdown is much more willing to ride and certainly doesn't whine when I want to take off for a day or three.

Join us! The Central Florida Tag-o-Rama
Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #247
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,809
i once bought a sr500 E.I scraped the exhaust on the test ride...that should have warned me...I owned that bike for the shortest time of any bike i have owned
Old 05-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #248
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,425
One day my lovely young bride informed me that the two of us would soon be the three of us. I figured I didn't need a bike payment anymore, so I took the GL1500 to the Honda dealer the next town over and traded it for a VT1100 Shadow. I always liked the look of the Shadow (still do) and they made me a killer deal. I got my debt paid off, the Shadow, a new Arai Signet, and $500 cash for the 'Wing.

The 30 miles back home was a killer. I wasn't used to not having any wind protection. Over time I really came to love that Shadow, though. It was cool, in a bad ass white trash kind of way. I never could ride it very far, but I enjoyed the rides I took on it.
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #249
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
2007 Aprilia SXV 4.5 (my current bike)

I'd always owned Japanese bikes, but got the over whelming urge to get an Italian V-twin. About this time, I also decided I was into supermotos instead of dual sports (which I've since learned I'm not).

My answer to both of these desires was the SXV. It doesn't have near the power I'd thought it would have, it drinks oil, keeping the correct amount of oil in it is black magic, it barley starts if the temp drops below 60F, and its range is 60 miles max. To top it all of, the dealer won't even take it in on trade because it's the "07" motor which had the "orange seal" problems. I'll probably end up selling it on CL for some stupid low price just to not have to deal with it any more...

Even though it breaks/corners like hell, it's just not as fun as I thought it would be.
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #250
z987k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock
2007 Aprilia SXV 4.5 (my current bike)

I'd always owned Japanese bikes, but got the over whelming urge to get an Italian V-twin. About this time, I also decided I was into supermotos instead of dual sports (which I've since learned I'm not).

My answer to both of these desires was the SXV. It doesn't have near the power I'd thought it would have, it drinks oil, keeping the correct amount of oil in it is black magic, it barley starts if the temp drops below 60F, and its range is 60 miles max. To top it all of, the dealer won't even take it in on trade because it's the "07" motor which had the "orange seal" problems. I'll probably end up selling it on CL for some stupid low price just to not have to deal with it any more...

Even though it breaks/corners like hell, it's just not as fun as I thought it would be.
wow, first time I've every heard an *XV was not fun or fast enough... what are you comparing it to speed wise? I've seen the 5.5 with a good rider spank a 600 with an average rider at the track.
z987k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #251
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyhound
For me it was a Honda xr350 about 1985-86 I think.

I was a fast B hare scramble rider at that time, usually top 3.

It would never start right away on the dead engine starts so I got really good at passing on tight single track, until you tipped that bike on it's side.

There are only 2 ways to start a flooded Xr350.

The first requires a stick or sharp blade of grass. You must poke yourself in the eye, enough to get the tears really flowing.. If that fuckin bike didn't see tears it would not start, and I could never cry on demand.

The second starting method was less painful but more time consuming.
If you simply sat and waited it always fired right up just as soon as at least half of the C rider class had passed you by.

You could kick it all day but until at least 1 beginning rider duck walked past you in first gear it would never fire up.

That bike probably kept me in B class at least 1-2 years longer than I deserved.
Best. Review. Ever. You had me laughing ass off. I had an XT550 that was a bitch to start after you dropped it and it flooded. I would get raging mad to the point of tears, and it would finally start. Wish I'd have thought of the grass/stick trick...
Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #252
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,603
I reserve the spot for further editing.

Just bought a 1150GS off ebay, should be here in a few weeks. We'll see if it'll stick around
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #253
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353

'82 Honda V45 Sabre. I know, I know, first year production no no...

Once the local dealer mechanic got back from v4 school and rebuilt the engine it ran great. It was a total nightmare until that day though.

Could write a book on my adventures with that bike. I can't remember what the final selling price was (it came back to me from the first sale that fell through right after I bought another bike, another long story ) but I do remember putting $300.00 plus what the guy gave for it to the bank to pay it off.

Watching him ride it out of sight is still one of my fondest memories. ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide screwed with this post 05-26-2010 at 05:33 PM
2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #254
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
wow, first time I've every heard an *XV was not fun or fast enough... what are you comparing it to speed wise? I've seen the 5.5 with a good rider spank a 600 with an average rider at the track.
It is a fun bike to ride, don't get me wrong. And, you're right, when I take it out to the cart track a few miles from my house, there isn't a sport bike around that can keep up with it. The '07s had real problems running at altitude though, and I live in Denver, so I had to have the dealer so quite a bit of work on the motor to "open it up". Even after the engine work, it just doesn't punch you know? Also, I guess it's just the way it makes power. It's more like a two stroke in that you have to keep the revs up. Do that, and you're rewarded. You know it is fun, but I guess all the maintenance and hassle I've had with it, just overshadow any of that. That and it's pretty useless on the street (which is not the bikes fault I guess...it is a supermoto after all).
Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #255
z987k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock
It is a fun bike to ride, don't get me wrong. And, you're right, when I take it out to the cart track a few miles from my house, there isn't a sport bike around that can keep up with it. The '07s had real problems running at altitude though, and I live in Denver, so I had to have the dealer so quite a bit of work on the motor to "open it up". Even after the engine work, it just doesn't punch you know? Also, I guess it's just the way it makes power. It's more like a two stroke in that you have to keep the revs up. Do that, and you're rewarded. You know it is fun, but I guess all the maintenance and hassle I've had with it, just overshadow any of that. That and it's pretty useless on the street (which is not the bikes fault I guess...it is a supermoto after all).
I'll give ya 2500 to take the pain away.
z987k is offline   Reply With Quote