Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #316
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Back in 03 i had bought a new 03 Yamaha Roadstar , that for awwhile i really liked until it started gettin the dredded engine knock (theres a 50/50 chance you get one) So after trying every forum fix , i couldn`t take it anymore & tradded it in on an 05 Concours (i still mis this one) but it had some issues too, which made me trade it in on (yes i did it again) on a left over 04 Roadstar. Figuring i thought i missed the cruising ways Well i had the bike running at the dealer & put a little strain on the engine & no knock (yippie so i thought) figuring since it was a 1700 & not a 1600 Yamaha figured what was wrong (not) a week later , it started & every time i pulled from a light it knocked under load . So totally pissed off after a year & a half of knock knock knock , i sold it & bought the best bike i have ever owned (07 FJR) and she`s a keeper.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #317
Suncoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Yamaha 650 Turbo

Back in the 80's I had an '82 750 Katana, great bike had a set of Ausie lowers on it, it was a great bike. My buddy had a Yamaha 650 Turbo, I convinced myself that I really liked the Turbo. Traded my Katana in..big mistake within the first week I was bored of the turbo turd..kept it for 6 months and sold it....didn't get another bike for 15 years...
Old 12-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #318
Ron521
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
In 1976 I purchased a slightly used BMW R75/6, based on rave roadtests and enthusiastic recommendations of other riders. Rode it from Texas to California and back.

While smooth enough, it didn't do much for me. The seat was miserably uncomfortable. It handled poorly on gravel roads that other bikes shrugged off. I sold it and purchased a 1974 Triumph Bonneville, which, while not as smooth, was MUCH faster and more fun to ride.

In 1984, I was offered another BMW, a '73 R75/5, which I liked better than the /6. Much better seat, liked the recessed speedometer/tach and the chrome side covers.

But then I stumbled on an immaculate 1968 Triumph TR6, and I dumped the BMW for the Triumph.

I decided that, in the end, it doesn't matter how "good" something is if you don't enjoy it.

I now ride a '91 883 Sportster, which handles very well and is fun to ride like the Triumphs, and without exaggerating a bit, reliable like the BMW's.
Ron521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #319
Robert Ford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
86 Intruder 700. Looked great but had no balls. 2 up it wouldn't get out of its own way. I put 2500 miles on it in 7 years.
Robert Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #320
Zorro39
Texan By Choice

Oddometer: 37
Wicked Just two

Bought a 1200 Sportster. After a week realized it had way too much power. It was like riding a pencil on a rocket. Sold it to someone in my RC for basically what I paid for it. Was following him on my Yamaha 1100 when he missed a curve, went in the ditch. He had a couple of broken bones and the bike was just slightly damaged.
The other direction for power was a 99 Ural. I did not realize it needed maintance every few miles and I never got over 45 mph on it. Sold it within a month. Lost money but glad to see it go.
Now happy with a PC 800. Tupperware body, self adjusting valves and other Honda tidbits makes it a perfect old dude's bike.
Zorro39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #321
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 692
Last year I thought I decided I wanted a newer bike. A friend that works at the local Honda dealer was selling a '00 F4 CBR. I test rode it in Jan or Feb or so and decided that the only thing wrong was that my coat collar was pushing up the back of my helmet, but it wouldn't be an issue in the summer since I wouldn't have any insulation under the leathers. I eagerly waited for the weather to get warm and when it did I jumped on and rode a lot. there was one recurring issue aside from the coat collar pushing up my helmet, and that was the leaning forward all the time made my wrists hurt. I loved the power and the brakes (compared to my cb650 and cb750) but the wrist pain was the deal breaker and I sold it later that same summer.

I'd had a 600 Ninja about 15 years and 50 pounds ago, so I thought it would be fun to have another crotch rocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
When I was a kid you probably would have gotten beaten up for showing up with a helmet.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #322
Audacious Nick
Forever indecisive

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
Last year I thought I decided I wanted a newer bike. A friend that works at the local Honda dealer was selling a '00 F4 CBR. I test rode it in Jan or Feb or so and decided that the only thing wrong was that my coat collar was pushing up the back of my helmet, but it wouldn't be an issue in the summer since I wouldn't have any insulation under the leathers. I eagerly waited for the weather to get warm and when it did I jumped on and rode a lot. there was one recurring issue aside from the coat collar pushing up my helmet, and that was the leaning forward all the time made my wrists hurt. I loved the power and the brakes (compared to my cb650 and cb750) but the wrist pain was the deal breaker and I sold it later that same summer.

I'd had a 600 Ninja about 15 years and 50 pounds ago, so I thought it would be fun to have another crotch rocket.
Riding with the correct body position makes a huge difference just an FYI. If your wrists were hurting, you were putting weight on your wrists. Your arms should be loose and you should be using your abs to support yourself, not arms and wrists.
Audacious Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #323
mike wright
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
My mistake as a fully race prepped Kaw ZXR750L3. Looked great with twin race pipes and all the extra special parts.
Ate tyres, drank fuel and scarred the living daylights out of me. It was either on or off with the throttle and lasted 5 weeks in my company..... never regretted getting rid of it as I hated it. Very loud, uncomfortable and cost a fortune to keep on the road
Old 12-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #324
Srben
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I haven't really had any regrets, just trying to find a bike that's everything I want. I had a '98 DR650 that was a lot of fun. It didn't give me any real serious problems other than a couple of mysterious 'not starts'. I was a little too big for it (6'1" and 235 lbs.), so I bought up to an R1200GS. Between that bike and my Aerostitch in hi-viz, I felt like Moses parting the Red Sea. No one could say "I didn't see him, officer". In the end, the GS was too big for just putting around the city, and I came out of a restaurant one time to find some girl sitting on it while her friend took pictures "for her Facebook" page. I was thinking of splitting the difference and getting a KLR, but after the posts on this thread, probably won't, lol.

"In a society where truth becomes treason, we are in big trouble." - Rep Ron Paul
Srben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #325
Lost Soul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Great thread! I'm afraid of buyers remorse. I've been looking at KLR's an XR's for a while. I just couldn't bring myself to sell my VTX. A local dealer wanted my bike and a couple hundred for an '08 XR650L. It's new on the dealer floor. Hmmm give you an 1800cc bike with less than 6000 miles and bring home a "dirtbike"? I don't think so.

Over the winter, I've convinced my wife to let me buy another bike and keep my VTX. I told her, the "new" bike would be for me to ride and if she wanted to go, we could take the VTX. So I've been watching for a good used bike.
Honda Recon 250
Lost Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #326
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srben View Post
I haven't really had any regrets, just trying to find a bike that's everything I want. I had a '98 DR650 that was a lot of fun. It didn't give me any real serious problems other than a couple of mysterious 'not starts'. I was a little too big for it (6'1" and 235 lbs.), so I bought up to an R1200GS. Between that bike and my Aerostitch in hi-viz, I felt like Moses parting the Red Sea. No one could say "I didn't see him, officer". In the end, the GS was too big for just putting around the city, and I came out of a restaurant one time to find some girl sitting on it while her friend took pictures "for her Facebook" page. I was thinking of splitting the difference and getting a KLR, but after the posts on this thread, probably won't, lol.
Rest assured, no one will want your KLR on their Facebook page.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #327
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598

I have always enjoyed owning and riding Vespas alongside my motorcycles (I grew up in Italy) and when the new 200/250cc Vespa four strokes came out I wanted one. My wife indulged me and I went with the fuel injected 250cc- $7200 out the door, A great ride, extremely comfortable, 72 mpg and top speed of 85 mph but the electrics on mine proved totally unreliable. 10,000 miles in ten months and I sold it after it kept stalling on me. It was a broken relay which was finally fixed by the dealer but the lights had gone out on the new high performance Vespas, for me. Now I ride my wife's 150cc ET4 from time to time and really enjoy it- when I can pry myself off my 45,000 mile 2007 Bonneville.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #328
edjo69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I traded in my 08 ZX10R for a VTX1800, I was riding way beyond the bounds of reality on the roads with the ZX10 and wanted something slower. Hated the VTX for the first few months, just now learning to live with it, going to try and use it for daily transportation this coming season. Thank God I have my FJR to fall back on when I get bored on the VTX.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #329
AtlantaDR
Anything on 2 Wheels

Oddometer: 130
2008 c-14 abs

This summer I bought a low mileage (700 miles) Concours. The bike was awesome in so many ways, but it was 95 degrees on the way home and boy was that bike hot. Spent a few days trying to block the heat, and then decided that I needed to sell it to someone who lived in the North, or in the mountains. Listed it on Craigslist for a fair price and sold it that weekend.

Two weeks later I bought a Gen II FJR and I love it.
AtlantaDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 AM   #330
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,638
08 DRZ400s Perfect in every way excepted it vibrated the S**T out of me. Got a 09 KLX250S to replace...1/10th the vibe....Much better.
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote