User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #406
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
CR500.

Just out of high school at the time and was riding a YZ125. Friends were on 250s and the steady diet of dirt wasn't agreeing with my palate. More power was the answer. Not just a little power - oh no. I'm 18 and immortal, give me the full meal deal!

Anyone that can master that bike, or any open class 2T with shite suspension and a powerband that hits like Thor's hammer to the forehead has my respect.

Hollywood rendition of me riding the CR. Identical results:

Leaving a carrier deck in an F-18 (with full NOS tank) wouldn't stir you from sleep after an afternoon on a CR500.

seantx screwed with this post 03-01-2011 at 09:41 AM
seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #407
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
2004 bmw 1150 gsa

Totally loaded with Touratec stuff. What a piece of crap. A time bomb waiting to go off. Burned oil, I know, they all do that. Power assisted brakes....who needs powered brakes on a bike and a $2000 liability. Sounded like it was going blow up in slow traffic on a hot day. A sure fire final drive failure, who knows when? Sold it a couple months later.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #408
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Totally loaded with Touratec stuff. What a piece of crap. A time bomb waiting to go off. Burned oil, I know, they all do that. Power assisted brakes....who needs powered brakes on a bike and a $2000 liability. Sounded like it was going blow up in slow traffic on a hot day. A sure fire final drive failure, who knows when? Sold it a couple months later.
Except for consuming some oil, did any of the other stuff actually happen, or did you just worry about it?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #409
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantx View Post
CR500.

Just out of high school at the time and was riding a YZ125. Friends were on 250s and the steady diet of dirt wasn't agreeing with my palate. More power was the answer. Not just a little power - oh no. I'm 18 and immortal, give me the full meal deal!

Anyone that can master that bike, or any open class 2T with shite suspension and a powerband that hits like Thor's hammer to the forehead has my respect.

Leaving a carrier deck in an F-18 (with full NOS tank) wouldn't stir you from sleep after an afternoon on a CR500.

This whole post cracks me up.
Reminds me of my thought process when I thought a good first street bike was a 600cc I4. One broken back, 2 ribs, 1 nose, and 1 crunched orbital socket later..... Not such a good idea......
Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #410
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,423
Shortly after getting the last cruiser I bought it finally dawned on me that feet forward riding was not for me any more. I had financed the bike and a year after I purchased it I sold it for the balance owed on the loan. I was happy. The New owner was happy. It was a win win.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #411
RedRam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe? View Post
This:

It was my second bike coming from an 83 Shadow 500. Brother and old man ride Harleys, so thats all I knew. It was loud, unruly, shook your fillings out, and broke down/ran out of gas on a weekly basis. Looked pretty cool though.

Its for sale, if you know anyone looking to really piss off their neighbors

No offense or anything, and maybe it's just me, but it really looks like that seat could put a hurtin' on the family jewels
RedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #412
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRam View Post
No offense or anything, and maybe it's just me, but it really looks like that seat could put a hurtin' on the family jewels
Thats what I was thinkin'...
Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #413
7seas10
7seas

Oddometer: 423
Tiger 1050 2010

I had 2 GS before I bought the Triumph. I used it for 10 months and sold it.
In 2 weeks I will pick up my 2011 BMW.

Simple as that!
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #414
7seas10
7seas

Oddometer: 423
Tiger 1050 2010 Abs

Simple as that!
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #415
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
CR500.

That's really funny. Of all the vehicles I've ever driven, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, tracked or otherwise, the CR500 is the only thing I ever got done with and said "holy shit that thing has way too f*&kin much power".
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #416
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seas10 View Post
Tiger 1050 2010

Simple as that!
What didn't you like?
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #417
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett the nerd View Post
Thats what I was thinkin'...
^
|
That.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #418
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
That's really funny. Of all the vehicles I've ever driven, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, tracked or otherwise, the CR500 is the only thing I ever got done with and said "holy shit that thing has way too f*&kin much power".
Thing is, you KNOW a modern CRF450 or equivalent big bore 4T would kill the CR500 on the track. Just goes to show how much easier to ride modern MX bikes are I suppose. But you have to love the maintenance schedule/cost of the old 2Ts in comparison. The CR top end could be rebuilt trackside with a set of Wal Mart sockets and a Mujahideen dung fire for $50. The CRF requires guys wearing NASA lab coats and a couple of house payments - every other weekend.

Sorry for the diversion...
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 AM   #419
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavage View Post
In 1997 a buddy of mine bought a Ducati 900SS/CR, kept it a couple of months and then sold it to me. He's a big guy and just told me that while he liked the bike, "he felt like a monkey on a coconut." I've always been a sucker for great looking motorcycles and my powers of rationalization and my skills with motorcycle math have been perfected over decades of riding.

Needless to say, I bought the bike. Beautiful to look at but a torture rack to ride. Kept the bike about a year and sold it.

Well, a couple of months ago Cycle World ran an article on great values on used bikes. There it was. The Ducati 900SS was featured as one of the top bikes to buy. The powers of rationalization kicked in. Found an identical yellow '97 CR north of Dallas with only 9,600 miles. Couldn't resist.

Bought the bike, trailered it home and put it in the barn. Rode it a couple of days later on a 150 mile loop and when this same friend came by to look at it he asked my how it was this time around. All I could say is that it is just as uncomfortable as the other one but I just couldn't help myself. Might be the best looking bike I've ever owned. Lesson....it's great getting old. The memory is the first thing to go and there's nothing like having a pristine piece of Italian art to look at every day.
I purchased one of these('98 FE) last November without riding it. It is still to crappy out to ride it and you are making me nervous.
It is, as you say, "a pristine piece of Italian art", and I hope I enjoy the ride as much as I enjoy the sound of the exhaust...
zDollar Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #420
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Thing is, you KNOW a modern CRF450 or equivalent big bore 4T would kill the CR500 on the track. Just goes to show how much easier to ride modern MX bikes are I suppose. But you have to love the maintenance schedule/cost of the old 2Ts in comparison. The CR top end could be rebuilt trackside with a set of Wal Mart sockets and a Mujahideen dung fire for $50. The CRF requires guys wearing NASA lab coats and a couple of house payments - every other weekend.

Sorry for the diversion...
I had the same fear of a Bultaco El Bandido back in'67. Didn't buy it, I know I'm a wimp?
0ldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote