Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #31
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Acquired a low-mileage 2005 Yam FZ6 Fazer. Great brakes and top end power with reasonably protective fairing, comfortable seat and riding position and good handling when leant hard over. Everything else was pants; specifically: unpredictable and clonky shifting, severe tramlining from the over-wide back tyre, horrible clocks and side panels shaped specifically to press painfully into my wife's calves. The only bike I have had that I looked forward to getting rid of.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #32
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
Never. Does it feel the same as doing the wrong girl?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #33
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Yes, a 93' Kawasaki ZZR1100. Worst handling bike I've ever ridden. Front suspension was so badly set up that hitting a bump while braking would lead to a locked front wheel. Went like stink, though
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #34
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Actually have done this twice in the 60 bikes I have owned..... The 2 I hated were a 1974 H1 Kawasaki triple and a 1985 Honda 1200 Goldwing. As I rode them home I plotted how to sell them. At least I sold them for a profit!

HMMMM....new thread? How many have you resold at a profit vs loss.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #35
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr
Actually have done this twice in the 60 bikes I have owned..... The 2 I hated were a 1974 H1 Kawasaki triple and a 1985 Honda 1200 Goldwing. As I rode them home I plotted how to sell them. At least I sold them for a profit!

HMMMM....new thread? How many have you resold at a profit vs loss.
I was lucky enough to sell my K1200RS for a profit. Bought it for $6500 with ~13k miles, rode it 3k miles, only adding gas and i changed a radiator fan ($50), sold it for $7300 and had people fighting over it for that much. I was still glad to see it go.

It just looked all nice and innocent...
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #36
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,500
Bought it as a learner for GF at the time..

Old 11-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #37
Crunch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
I bought an Aprilia Mille RSV1000, Arrow can, mapped, BEAUTIFUL! What I didn't know was that the '03 Mille was a bike too long in the saddle for normal height folk, let alone my 5' 2"ness. I considered options, all of which would butcher a sexy machine, none of which would address the fact that the bike simply needs a tall(er) rider. My torso & arms were waaaay too short to counter-steer the handlebars. My bad.......

So I traded it toward purchase of a brand new '08 Bandit 1250S. Cut the Bandit's seat down, promptly logged over 15,000 miles on it, loaded it up with beautiful Givi hard bags, performed a Holeshot Stage II, then at 19,000 miles put Cogent Dynamics / Holeshot suspension front & rear, TB synch', PR2's, and recently put a really fine ceramic coated header sans CAT' on it. OHMYGOD, what a bike!

Now...... at 24,000 miles, trips to Yosemite, Northern Cali' dream roads, runs over Monitor Pass, Ebbits, Sonora, etc., our local "Mini Dragon", Alice's Resteraunt, The Junction, and on & on (and on....)..... all in only a year's time,

I have to come to grips with the fact that my 55 year old overweight body at 5' 2" is too short for the bike. I can't clear the hard bags when I swing a leg over, and any road surface slanted or irregular is too much of a challenge to get the bike off the side-stand so I can drive off; forget about stopping on goat trails unless there is a boulder near by to mount from.

I'm now the PROUD owner of a bike that is going to result in a pulled hamstring, cramped calf, some kind of strain, a hernia, or...... like that afternoon on a distant goat trail, unable to get out from under a 630 pound bike that (almost) fell on me because of a soft surface and wrong place to have parked.

No..... I didn't "immediately realise (my) mistake". And I still owe lots of money on it, I've poured money into it, it's customized for MY weight and MY short arms, and I'm stuck with a 130 hp / 96 ft.lb. (at the rear wheel) machine that's waaaaay too big and heavy for the likes of the troll I AM.

Again..... my bad.
Lower it with some dogbones and drop the fork into the triples a little? Get into an exercise program to get yourself in a little better shape? Both??

I don't mean to sound condescending, but a bike that you've put that many miles on in such a short period, sounds like a bike worth going the last few steps to make it totally comfortable. You mentioned it is set up for your weight. Setting it up for your height may also lower the center of gravity, making it not feel so heavy as well.

If none of that works, an SV650 sounds like an obvious choice. Hmmmm...........;)

'08 B-King

RED DRAGONS!!!

Crunch screwed with this post 11-03-2009 at 08:08 AM
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #38
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,835
Ill timing for this thread. I'm looking at a new scoot that has a certain "domestic upheaval" potential. Not the bike itself; adding one to the stable.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #39
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,386
Not exactly; I'd like to think I'm too smart to do that.

However, I'm not smart enough to buy a bike that I knew was a mistake before forking over my money

The first time- VF1000R

I had an F model which I really liked; and I was awestruck by the looks, componentry, and provenance of the R model. On the test ride, I was really impressed with all aspects of the motor and the bike screamed quality down to the last nut and bolt. But the ergos were terrible (very tight on the legs and a very long reach to the clipons), the bike was very top-heavy, and the suspension was real curious and the handling was poor. But, man it looked good in the garage . Fortunately, I kept the F also

And just to show that I haven't necessarily gotten any smarter the past 20 years; I bought this a couple weeks ago:

Now the last thing I needed was a sportbike. I much prefer mixed surface riding these days and already have my all time dream sportbike which I hardly ride. And this is pretty uncomfortable; there's no steering lock to speak of; it rides like a, well, Ducati sportbike; and Otoh,

a) it sure is pretty
b) it sounds great, and runs as well as it sounds
c) it's storied
d) it's old and slow enough to be almost vintage; so there's none of the bike egging you on like new sportbikes do to see if you're good enough for them
e) did I mention it looks good?

If you like it, keep an eye on the FM next summer
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #40
kraftwerk OP
Trans Europe Express

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
The first time- VF1000R

I had an F model which I really liked; and I was awestruck by the looks, componentry, and provenance of the R model. On the test ride, I was really impressed with all aspects of the motor and the bike screamed quality down to the last nut and bolt. But the ergos were terrible (very tight on the legs and a very long reach to the clipons), the bike was very top-heavy, and the suspension was real curious and the handling was poor. But, man it looked good in the garage . Fortunately, I kept the F also
One of these exact models is currently at the very top of my wants list. Like you, I'm utterly bowled-over by its looks and I really want a V4, but not a VFR. Can I ask how tall you are and how much you weigh? Reading your comments about the ergos rings the alarm. If I were to buy one it would be a special occasions bike and I had visions of touring Europe on it, so would need it to at least be comfortable enough to ride a pretty long day.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #41
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,381
Ever bought a bike and immediately realised your mistake?

No, unfortunately it usually takes me much time, occasional physical pain and lot's of cash to realize those kinds of screw-ups

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #42
right$pecial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
2001 Honda XR400R. This was my first foray into offroad and i really enjoyed the bike when I got to ride it, but I was raised on electric start so the kick really started to become tiresome. It also became clear that I should have gotten a dual sport so that I could ride it on the street since I didn't have a pickup and couldn't get it titled as an enduro nor did I want to spend all the money converting it when so many dual sports where already out there on the cheap. I had buddies who had atvs and told me that if I bought it we would go out into the pastures and play a lot, but of course a lot meant not all that often. The few times that I rode it on the street it did inspire me to pick up a Uly because of the riding position and commanding view of the road. Next addition will probably be a Yamaha WR250r because of what I liked about this bike, but without all the detractors...well detractors for me anyway.
right$pecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #43
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
One of these exact models is currently at the very top of my wants list. Like you, I'm utterly bowled-over by its looks and I really want a V4, but not a VFR. Can I ask how tall you are and how much you weigh? Reading your comments about the ergos rings the alarm. If I were to buy one it would be a special occasions bike and I had visions of touring Europe on it, so would need it to at least be comfortable enough to ride a pretty long day.
5'10", 30" inseam, 34" sleeve, and I was about 230 pounds when I had it. Even at 30", the legs were cramped- and I'd been a clipon-rearset guy since the late 60s. It's not the bike on which I'd choose to tour, more for the poor handling than the lack of comfort; but it does look good

How do you feel about the VF1000F? It's a (imho) vastly superior bike in all the important ways. I think it's a very good looking bike as well; but not in the same way as the R.

edit: dammit! Dragging that picture out now has me looking for another F
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #44
kraftwerk OP
Trans Europe Express

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
5'10", 30" inseam, 34" sleeve, and I was about 230 pounds when I had it. Even at 30", the legs were cramped- and I'd been a clipon-rearset guy since the late 60s. It's not the bike on which I'd choose to tour, more for the poor handling than the lack of comfort; but it does look good

How do you feel about the VF1000F? It's a (imho) vastly superior bike in all the important ways. I think it's a very good looking bike as well; but not in the same way as the R.

edit: dammit! Dragging that picture out now has me looking for another F
Thanks for the info, Walter. We're of similar bulk - I'm a little shorter by an inch or so. Hmmm. This is not looking good.

Yeah, the F is decent-looking, I suppose, but I already have an upright as my daily (CB1100 SF X11 that I adore) and looking at the R just makes me all gooey, you know?

Dang. Now I'm all of a quandary.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #45
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by pee wee
I have actually.....I bought an Italian bike. First ride on it revealed the rear brake didn't work. Aprilia thought it would be a wise idea to mount the reservoir on the engine block just ahead of your right foot. Cooks it and instant no brake. For an encore they have a tip over switch, that works back to front as well...so if you like to wheelie at say (100mph) the bike cuts off , LIKE SHUTS OFF, and you come smashing down on yer wedding tackle, in the dark, with no lights....it all shuts down. The there is the Frame, which you can literally COOK your legs on. Too hot to touch in the summer, makes a great winter bike though. Othe than the stalling issues and rough idle....it was stunning to look at.

you are doing it all wrong! or your dealer is. rear caliper has to be removed and bleed screw at the top in order to bleed the air out.

engine does not "cook" the fluid reservior enough to cause brake fade.

can't argue about the heat though. right leg cooks in the summer.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote