Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #76
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 300
GeeBee

GB500.

Gorgeous. Tiny. Vibey. Absolutely gutless.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #77
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
is that the black klr you did all those mods on?
if so, you spent way too much time & $ on a bike you did not like???
...at the time you wrote on klr650.net how much you liked it.
Yup, tried like hell to make it the duel sport I thought I wanted. I eventually sold it and got an R1100GS, then an R1200GS. The KLR was fun, like my Scrambler, but was simply frightning when it came to brakes and handling on the freeway. I had an R1100RS at the time.

The Scrambler, comparred to the R1200GS is proving to be better, but still no long distance road bike!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #78
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Bought a Moto Guzzi Breva 750 brand new in 2004. Had to read what few reviews were out there, as the local dealer couldn't afford the insurance to allow demo rides. None of the reviews mentioned the gearbox. You Ducati riders think you have a hard time finding neutral at a red light? You've got it easy. That was my only real complaint about the Breva, but a bike that won't shift isn't much of a bike. I read that a couple of years later, Guzzi put a new transmission in their bikes and they shift as nice as any Japanese ride. So I'm interested in having another Guzzi. Breva 1100 this time, please. Although with my current budget, I'll probably have to wait for a used V7 Classic. The local dealer is long gone too.

Once I bought a '95 ZX6R from a friend. It "wouldn't start", and only after I bought body panels and had them painted, did I spend enough time to figure out why it wouldn't run. Two cylinders with zero compression. Sold it at a massive loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Pheasant
Acquired a low-mileage 2005 Yam FZ6 Fazer. Great brakes and top end power with reasonably protective fairing, comfortable seat and riding position and good handling when leant hard over. Everything else was pants; specifically: unpredictable and clonky shifting, severe tramlining from the over-wide back tyre, horrible clocks and side panels shaped specifically to press painfully into my wife's calves. The only bike I have had that I looked forward to getting rid of.
Add me to the list of those not impressed with the FZ6. Although it didn't hit me right away, but had to slowly reveal itself to me. I paid too much for my 2006 during the $5/gal gas days. It's not just that it's not the right bike for me (5'10-ish, 34" inseam, 172-lbs), but that it's a bad compromise, as are so many bikes that try to be everything to all people.

The alternator isn't strong enough to run heated gear; the factory windscreen is worse than no windscreen at all, so you have to buy the taller Yamaha touring screen or a Puig (I went the factory route) to ride on the interstate; the seat kills both my arse and my girlfriend's arse in less than an hour (I had the Yamaha gel seat on order for six months and it never came in, so I got my MasterCard credited); the throttle is twitchy as hell; the front brake is grabby at low speeds; the rear brake has no feel at all (just ask my upper tibia); and the bars are at this odd angle which cause pain in the webbing between my thumbs and forefingers on longer rides.

Basically, in town it's too twitchy and it's not comfortable on long rides. What is it good for? I am looking forward to selling it and getting that Guzzi, but I'm still upside-down with the damn thing. Might as well spring for a set of Bar Backs so I can tolerate it for a while longer.
Censport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #79
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,365
Right after I bought my new 2008 Buell 1125R for the measly sum of $6500 (cdn), I thought I had made a mistake....and now I am convinced that i did. I should have bought two of them...my dealer has none left, especially at that price. oh well.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #80
wldct69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Yup...

Suzuki Bandit 400! Used and seemed like a great deal. Traded it for a YZF600R 6 months later. The YZF had just come out, and it was a fantastic bike for sport touring. Emphasis on "sport"
wldct69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #81
Audacious Nick
Forever indecisive

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldct69
Yup...

Suzuki Bandit 400! Used and seemed like a great deal. Traded it for a YZF600R 6 months later. The YZF had just come out, and it was a fantastic bike for sport touring. Emphasis on "sport"
The bandit 400 is a great bike. It's a freaking screamer for a 400 too. It does need the suspension sorted and needs a higher temp thermostat, but once that's done it's a great bike.
Audacious Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #82
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
The Scrambler, comparred to the R1200GS is proving to be better, but still no long distance road bike!

Jim
Yup, I mentioned when you bought it that the Scram wouldn't tour like the GS or Uly. I see you've discovered what I was talking about. It is the best every day ride I've ever had, just not ideal for long distance work.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #83
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,775
I once bought a really cherry shiny ultra cool sounding bright red 91 VFR 750 Honda. Yosh Pipe,Corbin seat with flames sewn on. REALLY looked good!
Only thing is I like thrashing on tight bumpy backroads and that thing handled like one of those barrels they have at rodeos that bucks till it pitches you off.
Top Heavy wide with too much body work.
But the gear drive sounded cool,as did the pipe. I knew the first tight corner I went around it was going to be sold soon.
The guy that bought it was drooling all over himself to get it in his truck.

My DR650 with supermoto wheels is more my style on tight roads,or any road.

(The flying bricks are a little bizzare)
Old 11-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #84
right$pecial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldct69
Yup...

Man that was my first bike. Bought it knowing that I would outgrow it, but for light and around town I wish I still had it. Think about picking one up for a grand every now and again.

Not immediately but within six months...HD VRSCDX Night Rod Special. The bike really was awesome in a lot of ways, but after I stopped working and went back to school things got tighter and I started to see it as a cheaper bike, a jet ski, six months rent and a couple of good steaks. The thing is I would own this bike again someday, but only under the condition that it wasn't going to be my only ride. It was my first and, so far, only cruiser and about once a week I would wish for lighter weight and more ground clearance. Bottom line: I found out that for actual riding my take on motorcycling falls more in line with the European mindset than American, but everybody's got to ride a lot before they really know what they like. Oh and I lost more money than you can imagine when I sold it during the recession.
right$pecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #85
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious Nick
The bandit 400 is a great bike. It's a freaking screamer for a 400 too. It does need the suspension sorted and needs a higher temp thermostat, but once that's done it's a great bike.
And if I ever find another one, it's going in the garage. Or the hallway if there's no room. Sold mine to buy the VFR in '98.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:12 AM   #86
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv
Yup, I mentioned when you bought it that the Scram wouldn't tour like the GS or Uly. I see you've discovered what I was talking about. It is the best every day ride I've ever had, just not ideal for long distance work.
You are right. I wish I could have both, but no room, and no budget for the pair, especially since I am getting married soon!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:55 AM   #87
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
I once bought a really cherry shiny ultra cool sounding bright red 91 VFR 750 Honda. Yosh Pipe,Corbin seat with flames sewn on. REALLY looked good!
Only thing is I like thrashing on tight bumpy backroads and that thing handled like one of those barrels they have at rodeos that bucks till it pitches you off.
Top Heavy wide with too much body work.
There must have been something wrong with it. My '95 VFR handles "real" roads with grace -- soaking up bumps but retaining composure. Handling is not super quick but it is very stable. When I first got it though it handled like ass -- problem was the PO had too wide a tire on the back, both tires were flat spotted and the suspension preload was not set correctly. Fixing those things and she rides like a dream now. Best bike I've owned.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #88
BCinMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
bought a mid 90s honda 750 nighthawk.
most boring bike i ever owned.
sold it quickly & bought my strom.

LOL...now that I have some miles on mine - not many mind you, just under a 1000 or so...but I'd have to agree with you. It is a pretty boring bike. It does everything competently, it's just not the bike to set your pants on fire with excitement. Just like Honda's cars I suppose.

I'm thinking of selling mine in the spring for something lighter and more energetic...Street Triple maybe?
'09 Kymco Xciting 250Ri
- gone
'96 Nighthawk 750
- gone but not forgotten
BCinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #89
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
I got a cherry red Suzuki 400 with 600 original miles and sold it a month later. I just couldn't adapt to that power curve. I'd accelerate out of a curve, hit the power and apex at the same time, and want to shoot off like a ROCKET. Good God- couldn't take it. Pretty little bike, but deadly for me.

Bought a 1952 BMW on eBay and nver thought to see if anyone could look at it for me. I took the guy's word it was restored. The more I went through it, the more problems I found. By the time I got it running right (took a year), I was just mad at it. No joy. Just mad. Bad Karma.

Sure sounded good with another guy on it, though.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #90
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,780
My third moto was a Honda VTR250, that I got with 2k on the odo, maybe less. I loved that thing to bits, and rode it for 36,000 miles. Sold it, and years later looked to pick up another to ride around on.
Found one, this one had 14k miles on it, tested it, it ran fine. My wife brought me back with the car so I could ride it home. On the way home, the slides in the carbs had a ton of crap on them, and would not slide all the way down when I rolled off the throttle to shift.

I did not know this, was not apparent on the test ride. The crankcase filled with gas. My wife is behind me, flashing her brights, and the bike is spewing out all kinds of white smoke. Bike is losing power, finally got it to an off ramp, pulled into a gas station, and the motor fluid locked. I was so pissed.

Once I trucked it home, I was able to diagnose the problem, and after cleaning the carbs and emptying out the motor of the wicked gas/oil combo, changing the oil/filter a few times as well, it was fine. Until I got it running, I didn't know if I bent any valves, so the whole process was filled with regret.

But I hated looking at that bike. It still smelled like gas. I sold it for more than I paid for it, way more. Ran like a top.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote