Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #91
R-A-M-O-N
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
I got a cherry red Suzuki 400 with 600 original miles and sold it a month later. I just couldn't adapt to that power curve. I'd accelerate out of a curve, hit the power and apex at the same time, and want to shoot off like a ROCKET. Good God- couldn't take it. Pretty little bike, but deadly for me.
I know what you mean, i had a cbr 400rr and it was a BOMB in every aspect, you touched the throttle and BAM!. Certainly not a bike you would want in a big city. I just get tired of remeber riding that thing through a traffic jam.
R-A-M-O-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #92
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,369
I did this twice ! Not the same bike each time though.

In 2001 I bought a Victory Sport Cruiser. I traded in a perfectly good Interceptor (01) that had 4000 miles on it. Dumb. The Victory was a decent bike for what it was. It just wasn't for me. I should have kept the VFR. I knew when I stopped at the first light on the way home.

My current ride is an 08 Tiger. A great bike, for what it is. Smooth engine. Too smooth for me. I came off of an Aprilia Tuono (05) and wanted something more comfortable. The Tiger is comfortable. It just has no soul. It does everything well, just not spectacular.

The local dealer has an 07 Tuono with 5000 miles on it that I want so bad.

I am about ready to list the Tiger in Flea Market.

I really need about 5 bikes, then the Tiger would be one of them. $$$$$

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #93
wldct69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious Nick
The bandit 400 is a great bike. It's a freaking screamer for a 400 too. It does need the suspension sorted and needs a higher temp thermostat, but once that's done it's a great bike.

Mine had issues, and just felt under powered. I had a Ninja 600 prior to that and should have just kept the Ninja.

I have bought three bikes from the same shop, and when I traded the 400 in I found out that the engine blew about a week later during a test ride.

I know there are alot of people that like the bike, but for me it was the worst one that I have own.

I REALLY miss my KLR650 though. Out of about 10 bikes I have had in the past 20 years, it is the only non-sport bike I have owned, and it is the only one that got stolen.....Shit!
wldct69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #94
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank

In 2001 I bought a Victory Sport Cruiser. I traded in a perfectly good Interceptor (01) that had 4000 miles on it. Dumb. The Victory was a decent bike for what it was. It just wasn't for me. I should have kept the VFR. I knew when I stopped at the first light on the way home.

My current ride is an 08 Tiger. A great bike, for what it is. Smooth engine. Too smooth for me. I came off of an Aprilia Tuono (05) and wanted something more comfortable. The Tiger is comfortable. It just has no soul. It does everything well, just not spectacular.

I knew I couldn't be the only one that felt this way. I'm thinking a Ducati of some kind instead of an Aprilia.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #95
dmgiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I've been readng this thread since the start and I guess I will finally post my mistake. I bought a 2005 GS in late 06. Flew into Pomona and rode it home with 4k on the clock. I added a few things to it including a Russell Day Long. My riding partner and I mostly like to do 3 or 4 night trips camping along the way. We started talking about Goldwings after our first trip. The allure of real electronic cruise control, real protection from wind, more luggage capacity and not having to worry about final drive failure finally got us. He was the first to trade his gs for an 09 loaded 'Wing. He professed its greatness to me. So I put my beloved gs up for sale and had my mind set on a used 'Wing. Preferably an 07 or 08. Lo and behold another inmate saw my ad here on Flea Market and proposed a trade. I rode the GS to Texas, handed it to him and rode his 05 'Wing home. I realized within the first 100 miles it was a mistake. I love my GS more than I knew. If I could do it again, I would keep my GS and buy an older wing. Now I have a beautiful wing that I am trying to get sorted but I'm looking for an older GS that I can afford. Still sad over the whole thing. The GS is the perfect bike for me.

I guess this is the end of my sad story.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #96
Audacious Nick
Forever indecisive

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldct69
Mine had issues, and just felt under powered. I had a Ninja 600 prior to that and should have just kept the Ninja.

I have bought three bikes from the same shop, and when I traded the 400 in I found out that the engine blew about a week later during a test ride.

I know there are alot of people that like the bike, but for me it was the worst one that I have own.

I REALLY miss my KLR650 though. Out of about 10 bikes I have had in the past 20 years, it is the only non-sport bike I have owned, and it is the only one that got stolen.....Shit!
Mine was burning oil and smoked a bit when first started. However once it got to ~4k rpm, it'd start spooling up and screaming; amazing little bike. I wish more manufacturers made 400 street bikes. God knows how they do when running perfectly.
Audacious Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #97
kraftwerk OP
Trans Europe Express

Oddometer: 329
Some good stories on this thread - thanks for making such an effort with the replies. Really interesting and entertaining.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #98
mtwillyman
Lost and Cornfuzed

Oddometer: 617
Should of Test Ridden it..........

Bought a Breva 1100 without test riding it. Bike was gorgeous but was very lacking in performance. It ran hot, pinged and was gutless below 4500 rpm. Lesson learned by me and I moved on. Live and learn I guess. YMMV.
mtwillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #99
4power
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Honda Superhawk. I owned an sv650 and figured the Honda would be similar with more power, not really the case. Tons of torque down low, nothing and I mean nothing on top. The first time I layed into it I remember thinking "that's it?". I know people love 'em but that was the most boring lackluster bike I ever owned. I don't think I had it for more than three months. The bikes only saving grace was that is sounded fantastic.
4power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #100
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
There must have been something wrong with it. My '95 VFR handles "real" roads with grace -- soaking up bumps but retaining composure. Handling is not super quick but it is very stable. When I first got it though it handled like ass -- problem was the PO had too wide a tire on the back, both tires were flat spotted and the suspension preload was not set correctly. Fixing those things and she rides like a dream now. Best bike I've owned.
I guess the roads I like the most are the squirrliest back roads around nor-cal, bumps,off cambers,tight swtch backs,I always heard the VFR's were really good bikes but a single is better for 1st and second gear cranked over corners and goes faster easier.
+ I always get tickets on red bikes and I had made the mistake of being married at the time and she whined more about it then the gear drive cams did. They ARE neat bikes!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #101
jonathonbarton
You bring the happy.

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon
Never. Does it feel the same as doing the wrong girl?
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours
is there such a thing?
Yes.
* When on the set of an adult movie shoot. (though that has fairly high comedy potential...)
* When the right one walks in on you, and isn't inclined to join you two. (this however, does not...)

I'm still on the fence whether my '94 R1100RS is a mistake.
Bad: 178,000 miles
Good: Absolutely *immaculate* maintenance records (I spent 3 hours entering 285 individual records into Excel) - to include tire changes, and how many miles each set of tires was worth.
Bad: Heavy for a 'starter bike'
Good: Exceptionally smooth power band - no "6500 RPM Surprises" for the newbie rider.
Bad: The second's owner loaned the pristine bike to his nephew (always a brilliant idea, right?), and the nephew crashed and busted up the front plastics, the headlight glass, 3 ribs and a spleen.
Good: $1500 for a smooth running bike with a 'typical wear' value of $4500-6000.

Is it a mistake? Or do I just want something different, like a VFR or F650GS? Hard for me to tell.
jonathonbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #102
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,450
Never.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #103
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 779
You owning a Victory never made sense to me!!

Maybe you should wait and see the new Multistrada coming out - it may combine the soul of the Tuono with some of the practicallity of the Tiger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank

'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #104
El Diablo
Mama I'm goi'n fast!

Oddometer: 747
I sold my 1098 and bought a Hypermotard with 600 miles on it. I put 300 miles on it and sold it I did not realize that HM could be so slow. I knew it and test rode the bike that my friend had. I thought that I could live with that but I could not. My C14 felt faster. So now I'm going to leave a deposit on RSV4R
2008 Ducati HM sold
2008 Ducati 1098 sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX14 sold
2006 KTM 950A sold
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #105
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
My C14 felt faster. So now I'm going to leave a deposit on RSV4R
Ahhh... that because the C 14 is faster.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote