Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #106
Audacious Nick
Forever indecisive

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4power
Honda Superhawk. I owned an sv650 and figured the Honda would be similar with more power, not really the case. Tons of torque down low, nothing and I mean nothing on top. The first time I layed into it I remember thinking "that's it?". I know people love 'em but that was the most boring lackluster bike I ever owned. I don't think I had it for more than three months. The bikes only saving grace was that is sounded fantastic.
It's not a Harley, so it was your bike at fault. That bike doesn't really comes alive until at higher RPM. Of course it's not like a 4cylinder which never seems to drop off, but it does come on way harder in the upper RPM range.
Audacious Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #107
BrianK
F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer: 856
Not immediately, but I certainly regretted buying my mid-80s Yamaha Seca in 1986 (new but leftover). I know some people love these bikes but this one did nothing for me. Nothing really wrong with it, I just couldn't warm up to it. No personality whatsoever.

Got rid of it, bought a Ducati 900SS, which was the start of the current herd, none of which I regret in the least.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #108
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
a miss

the other day I was talking my friend to sell me his for sale Ducati monster 69? 2007 and he said more money, I said, some money + my truck and said no deal.

I rode it 2 weeks latter and I have to say it is a super cool bike, and a lots of power, how ever I was so unhappy that I am glad I did not buy it, I could reach 100 mph in 3rd or 4th gear, that is not good for my brain!

Yes I know, I am not a rider for that bike.

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #109
dannyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4power
Honda Superhawk. I owned an sv650 and figured the Honda would be similar with more power, not really the case. Tons of torque down low, nothing and I mean nothing on top. The first time I layed into it I remember thinking "that's it?". I know people love 'em but that was the most boring lackluster bike I ever owned. I don't think I had it for more than three months. The bikes only saving grace was that is sounded fantastic.
???

Mybe you've got a lemon? I mean sv vs. vtr, we are talking 350cc and some 30 HP difference!?!
Also, "torque down low"?!? My vtr has torque throughout the range, as is the case with most vtr owners I know.

dannyz screwed with this post 11-06-2009 at 10:08 PM
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #110
Audacious Nick
Forever indecisive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz
???

Mybe you've got a lemon? I mean sv vs. vtr, we are talking 350cc and some 30 HP difference!?!
Also, "torque down low"?!? My vtr has torque throughout the range, as is the case with most vtr owners I know.
Yup. Just check out this dyno sheet:

If you look at the red line, you can see the vtr more horsepower and torque up until about 9,000 RPM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #111
dannyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious Nick
Yup. Just check out this dyno sheet:

If you look at the red line, you can see the vtr more horsepower and torque up until about 9,000 RPM.
Nick, sorry, are you trying to prove me wrong, or supporting what I said with this chart?!?
It shows that torque is about the same throughout the rpm range, and not just "low down", which is exactly what I said. Power goes up with rpm - with no spikes, btw - up to around 103 HP, which is about 30 HP or so more than sv, AFAIK.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:51 AM   #112
Audacious Nick
Forever indecisive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz
Nick, sorry, are you trying to prove me wrong, or supporting what I said with this chart?!?
It shows that torque is about the same throughout the rpm range, and not just "low down", which is exactly what I said. Power goes up with rpm - with no spikes, btw - up to around 103 HP, which is about 30 HP or so more than sv, AFAIK.
I'm supporting you. The Superhawk does not have a dead top end, and certainly rips the pants off the SV. The only thing is that is has a very flat torque curve, which might be the reason he thought the top end was flat.
Simply put, it does not have the torque characteristics of an I4.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #113
Chiasmus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Only bikes I regretted buying were used bikes. FZR caught on fire the second day I had it (dry batt fried the R/R), which ended up costing me more than I spent on the bike. And my first street bike--a Kawi GPz 550--in 'pristine' condition basically went to hell within my first month of ownership (be wary of steam cleaned bikes).

I eventually learned my lesson and have been happy ever since I started buying new bikes off the showroom floor.
Chiasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #114
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiasmus
Only bikes I regretted buying were used bikes. FZR caught on fire the second day I had it (dry batt fried the R/R), which ended up costing me more than I spent on the bike. And my first street bike--a Kawi GPz 550--in 'pristine' condition basically went to hell within my first month of ownership (be wary of steam cleaned bikes).

I eventually learned my lesson and have been happy ever since I started buying new bikes off the showroom floor.
Mine was a 1991 Kawasaki Zephyr ZR750 that I bought used, and it wasn't running quite right. I thought it wouldn't take much time and money to get it right, but that wasn't the case. So, I had immediate doubts on the ride home, even though I knew that I was buying a "small project" due to the test ride, and regret after too much time and money went into it.

I still buy used, but the motorcycle has to be in great shape, needing no work.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #115
andrewk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
suzuki drz400s...seat like a 2x4
andrewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #116
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,408
When i bought my Honda st1300 i realized it as soon as i rode it. It made me feel like an old man, and i regreted it as soon as i swung a leg over it. not a bad bike, just for someone else.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #117
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,627
First gen Yamaha FZ1. I had had an R1, and figured that like the ad said, basically a comfy R1. FAIL. That bike had crappy suspension, engine was boring, and I realized that I would never be happy with it. Sold it at something like 400-miles. Was such a let down compared to an R1.

Next up....I had always wanted a ZRX-1200. Loved the look, and figured it would be a perfect bike for me. I hated the thing. I had it for a few days, and already wanted to dump it. I just didn't like the way it handled, and the engine didn't have the guts I thought it would. I know you can open them up, but I wasn't going to throw good money after bad. Had less than 1000-miles on it before I sold it.

Luckily, the next bike held my attention for the next 4-5 years.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #118
Speed3
Aangenaam verdoofd

Oddometer: 449
2 years ago I bought a FJ1200 I found in a guy's yard on my sunday morning ride. Just needed carbs cleaned, I barely had time to pick it up, after handing the seller the money and loading it on the truck in the pooring rain I realized it was a mistake had 5 bikes already and no time to work on them. Never got it to run right and sold it a year later with a good loss.
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #119
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,372
I know what you mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank
I did this twice ! Not the same bike each time though.

In 2001 I bought a Victory Sport Cruiser. I traded in a perfectly good Interceptor (01) that had 4000 miles on it. Dumb. The Victory was a decent bike for what it was. It just wasn't for me. I should have kept the VFR. I knew when I stopped at the first light on the way home.

My current ride is an 08 Tiger. A great bike, for what it is. Smooth engine. Too smooth for me. I came off of an Aprilia Tuono (05) and wanted something more comfortable. The Tiger is comfortable. It just has no soul. It does everything well, just not spectacular.

The local dealer has an 07 Tuono with 5000 miles on it that I want so bad.

I am about ready to list the Tiger in Flea Market.

I really need about 5 bikes, then the Tiger would be one of them. $$$$$
I had an '86 Concours for twenty years, got many tickets, thought a cruiser would slow me down... got the Victory Touring Cruiser, kept it for 9 months/9,000 miles and sold it. Should have kept the Connie.... Got the Tiger 1050 now and it DOES stir my soul... while being ergonomically acceptable for my aching frame.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #120
Stromski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386

No regrets, but my first bike was a KLX400.

I was in the dealership the other day and looked at a DRZ400. I noticed that the seat was roughly the same height as my belt buckle. I thought "Man, I learned to ride on that thing! I must have been crazy!"

Still, no regrets. It wasn't until after it was stolen and I bought a WeeStrom that I realized a more street oriented bike was what I should have gotten. I put 5,000 (mostly) joyful miles on it in four months and it never occured to me that constant physical punishment was not a necessary part of motorcycling.

I miss Sweet Pea

Daffy Duck
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote