User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #121
ZeroGara
2strokes & Big Twins

Oddometer: 7
Bmw K100rs

A few years ago I moved into a far away area with little stuff with me and soon wanted to explore the surrounding areas with a bike. It wasn't a very hot market to have a choice for used bikes and have never been too happy about buying anything new and making dealers happy. I was on the look out for a ZX11 or ZZr1200 or something big and comfortable to take an abusive long day's run of 500mi or more without it or my back having great regrets.
I became more and more frustrated not being able to find anything I liked along those lines till I run into an eBay auction 100mi away of K100RS, all black with an aftermarket axhaust looking good. I was the happy winning bidder at the end of the week. There wasn't much I liked till that day about BMW bikes, their cars are great, and I may have liked the looks of an older R100RS with faded orange paint but looking at the specs and comparing it to any Japanese bike I thought it was a joke.
I picked the bike up and took the long long way home, the more i rode the more I didn't want to get back. I normally go through and service a used bike before i take any unnecessary risks. The more I rode this beast the more I liked it. No performance wasn't good, brakes weren't that great, the shifting was funky, and gas mileage wasn't the greatest. Even the so called miracle little fairing of the 80s was too noisey at all angles and positions. But I hated to start liking it. It is hard to explain, but the longer I had it the less my mind worried about anything going wrong, needing adjustment, service, attention. It was like a work horse that you just hop on and go and don't care.
I hated buying it, I hated liking it, I hated riding it after I had other bikes on the garage, and lastly I hated selling it. I have had other love/hate relationships with bikes but were on the reverse direction, like having to work all the time on a bike that i really liked but never went for too far of a ride or had me at ease about breaking down again.
If you have ever wondered what a diesel motorcycle would be like, or what do you get if you cross the genes of a sport bike to those of a Kenworth tractor, buy an 8valve K100 bike.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:44 AM   #122
MacMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGara
I picked the bike up and took the long long way home, the more i rode the more I didn't want to get back. I normally go through and service a used bike before i take any unnecessary risks. The more I rode this beast the more I liked it. No performance wasn't good, brakes weren't that great, the shifting was funky, and gas mileage wasn't the greatest. Even the so called miracle little fairing of the 80s was too noisey at all angles and positions. But I hated to start liking it. It is hard to explain, but the longer I had it the less my mind worried about anything going wrong, needing adjustment, service, attention. It was like a work horse that you just hop on and go and don't care.
I hated buying it, I hated liking it, I hated riding it after I had other bikes on the garage, and lastly I hated selling it. I have had other love/hate relationships with bikes but were on the reverse direction, like having to work all the time on a bike that i really liked but never went for too far of a ride or had me at ease about breaking down again.
If you have ever wondered what a diesel motorcycle would be like, or what do you get if you cross the genes of a sport bike to those of a Kenworth tractor, buy an 8valve K100 bike.
Yes, yes and yes. I bought mine as an appliance. Then bought a VFR to replace it. VFR is so much more fun in every way...

EXCEPT the K is now fully debugged, has luggage and heavier suspension both ends. If I need to go away for more than one night, there is absolutely no question which one to take. The K is fat, ugly, relatively slow, wobbles around corners, and covered in blemishes to say it's going to turn 25 next year. But it's seriously GREAT. I'd ride it around Oz tomorrow if I could get 12 weeks to myself.

Sadly, I think the VFR will be sold. I think the K will go down with cockroaches and silverfish as the last thing standing.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #123
Lloyd574
Victory

Oddometer: 212
VT500 Ascot I kept it about 2 months maybe..Hated it..Traded it in on a new 83 CX650C kept it for 16 yrs..

1200 Bandit, vibes sucked, traded it in on a ZRX kept it 4-5 yrs.

Had a Busa, loved the motor, but the riding position killed my neck after 20,000 miles..

Traded the Busa in on a 08 Tiger and just love it..Great bike..

Bought a 08 250 Ninja to commute on, Going to sell it this spring, replacing it with a scooter.

Have a 2002 R1 and love it in the mountains, fun bike and very dependable..Solid product..
Lloyd574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #124
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by sark
Yamaha MX100. Abandoned it in a patking lot before I even made it home.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #125
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla
My 2009 Tiger. There is nothing really wrong with the bike, other than finding a windshield I can deal with. But to me it's kind of uninspiring to ride. I was on a VFR750 before that, and I couldn't wait to ride it.

Compared to the VFR, the Tiger has no soul.

In my opinion................

I'll probably end up selling it next year.

I understand. It's hard to explain.

The engine is so smooth it is like riding a sewing machine.

I had a Tuono before. I want another one.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #126
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird
You owning a Victory never made sense to me!!

Maybe you should wait and see the new Multistrada coming out - it may combine the soul of the Tuono with some of the practicallity of the Tiger.

See, there was this lady at work that was into cruisers. ( I did mention it was dumb! )

I love the new Multistrada. Too much $$$$.

They have a beautiful 07 Tuono at Touring Sport.

You interested in an excellent 08 Tiger?

What have you been up to lately? PM me.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #127
redmille
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
K1200rs

We started having kids and I was on a trip with some buddy's and decided I needed something a bit slower then my 02 Blackbird and some hard luggage. Bought a clean 02 K1200rs, beautiful bike, but knew from the ride home it was not to be. ergo's not that great, handled like a pig, throttle snatch, smoked if on sidestand for more then a couple days, gas tank too small and not great on gas. I loved my Blackbird! Big mistake. Been through a few bikes since and may end up with an updated Blackbird! (ZX14).
redmille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #128
richmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Done both, bad bikes and a bad woman. Both bikes and the woman stuck around way too long. Traded my beloved SV650 in on a HD Night Train becuase the woman liked Harley's and "Hated sport bikes and the poeple that ride them". That should have been my first warning sign to get out and run away, but I was young and dumb. After spending a few grand on the Night Train to make it "cool" I traded it in on a Harley V-rod Night Rod. What I really wanted was the V-rod Street rod but that was too close to the "sport bike crowd", yeah, not only was she a henious bitch but she was also dumb. I do have to say that v-rod motor is a gem. Great power and a really great sound. but what do you expect from a motor designed by a certain German sports car maker....After two really bad motorcycle buying decisions left a bad taste in my mouth (the girl did too, in more ways than one...TMI?) I got out of bikes, that is until this spring. In a total reveresal of fortune, I bought an 08 Ducati Hypermotard without as much as sitting on it. Guess what? Its bloody perfect.
richmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #129
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,174
I see alot of K something or others in this thread.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #130
mjr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
yea.....harley ........freakin P.O.S...............nuff said.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #131
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
I see alot of K something or others in this thread.
That is interesting. I've test ridden a few and thought they were awesome.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:01 AM   #132
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 640
Looking back to the first post in this thread: I had a long time BMW dealer tell me that he thought the BMW K1 was the single worst BMW ever built. I still like the way they look.

Long ago I bought a 1979 Honda GL1000 and I rode it less than 600 miles and sold it. I've never ridden a motorcycle that felt less like a motorcycle, it was just a car without doors and lousy handling to boot. On the other hand, my 2002 Gold Wing was a fantastic bike. Should have kept it but I change bikes frequently going through 45 bikes in 43 years of riding. Some bikes I bought and loved, some I didn't. Some I sold and regretted it immediately (1974 BMW R90S, '02 Aprilia Caponord) others I was glad to see go (GL1000, Yamaha 550 Vision, Honda 1100 Shadow). Mostly I'm not hard to please, I just have a short attention span.

Doug
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:35 AM   #133
Poddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Two POS that I made the mistake in buying;
2005 H-D 1200c Sportster, never ridden one, flew up to Sydney from melboune and rode it back (900 Klms) by the time I got home I put it straight on the market.

2008 Zuki M109R, bad brakes, bad suspense, shite clutch, bad seat
Currently up for sale

Best bike to date 2007 FJR1300A, still own it and many reason to keep it for along time yet

Cheers
Poddy
Poddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #134
xring04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
For me it was the Klr 650.

I wanted a dual sport and they were cheap.

From the first time I rode it, I new it was a mistake.

I loved it playing on the trails, and forest roads, but hated it on the street.

The bike I kept the shortest, just over 3 months.

Brakes sucked, suspension sucked,seat sucked, not enough power, etc.
xring04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #135
Commanderkewl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
80 Suzuki gs1000, that thing was a man killer... I bought it for 250 bucks and it looked like hell. both side cases had 10K miles on each side as they were really thin...
Monster as all ya needed to do was pull back on the throttle in 3rd gear and the front end would just rise up and stay there until you either got it going fast enough or was about 85 or pull off the throttle..

WHen a starter bolt broke on the road (thought I had lost the cams as it was just hitting on two cylinders) ...... I just left it on the road and walked away.. these nice guys had a boat they were towing- pulled the boat off and we loaded the thing on their truck...

I gave the bike away and the guy I gave it to said it was a starter bolt- he fixed it and he ran with it...

I like excelleration- but I dont like anything that I can get into trouble too easily....

course I did get a LT a RT and a GS.... but IM older and I dont have a death wish anymore...
Commanderkewl is offline   Reply With Quote