ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #1651
SuedeGopher
Target

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
:jealous

Unless you need to go to Almosa I'd ride the extra 11 miles through Pagosa Springs instead, if the weather is good. http://goo.gl/maps/ok34O

I'd also try to add the 114/50 up to Salida http://goo.gl/maps/Y0TBk

In part 2, why do you want to go through Indianapolis?
I have the Alamosa in there for gas purposes - but I've heard the ride through Pagosa is great - I need to do some more research to make sure I can fuel up. I dig both of your suggestions!

Indy is for curiosity and there's a few kids on another forum that live out that way. Hoping to hook up with them for a beer.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #1652
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
So having met some of y'all in person and knowing that many of you have done big trips and all of you have an opinion :

Part one:
http://goo.gl/maps/TqIKH
Since you're that close, you may want to consider riding CO Rt 160 West over Wolf Creek Pass and into Durango. From Durango, take Rt. 550 north up through Silverton and Ouray and into Montrose. (That stretch of 550 is called the Million Dollar Hwy and the views are truely spectacular. Maybe the best single road I have ever ridden. It has been featured on The World's Deadliest Roads.) At Montrose take Rt 50 East through Gunnison and be sure to stop to see Black Canyon of Gunnison just west of Gunnison. (Rt. 92 goes northwest off of Rt. 50 up through Black Canyon of Gunnison and it is also a wonderful ride.) As you head east on Rt. 50 be sure to stop by the Royal Gorge Suspension Bridge near Canon City.

Wolf Creek Pass, Rt 550 north out of Durango, Black Canyon of Gunnison and Royal Gorge Bridge all feature great views and, in my humble opinion, are well worth the effort to ride there.

BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 03:17 PM
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #1653
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
Since you're that close, you may want to consider riding CO Rt 160 West over Wolf Creek Pass and into Durango. From Durango, take Rt. 550 north up through Silverton and Ouray and into Montrose. (That stretch of 550 is called the Million Dollar Hwy and the views are truely spectacular. Maybe the best single road I have ever ridden. It has been featured on The World's Deadliest Roads.) At Montrose take Rt 50 East through Gunnison and be sure to stop to see Black Canyon of Gunnison just west of Gunnison. (Rt. 92 goes northwest off of Rt. 50 up through Black Canyon of Gunnison and it is also a wonderful ride.) As you head east on Rt. 50 be sure to stop by the Royal Gorge Suspension Bridge near Canon City.

Wolf Creek Pass, Rt 550 north out of Durango, Black Canyon of Gunnison and Royal Gorge Bridge all feature great views and, in my humble opinion, are well worth the effort to ride there.

BlueRidgeRider

All well worth doing if you can make the time. Let me rephrase, it's well worth making the time to do.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #1654
SuedeGopher
Target

Oddometer: 45
Quote:

BlueRidgeRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post

All well worth doing if you can make the time. Let me rephrase, it's well worth making the time to do.

Okay you convinced me! Heading to Durango and north now. Works out better with my brother's joining me up until that point, as it happens!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #1655
harryhammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Thumb Old bike show sat 4 Spencer nc

the show is at the train museum 9-4 al'ways nice show
harryhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #1656
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhammer View Post
the show is at the train museum 9-4 al'ways nice show
Is that put on by the VJMC? What time are you riding out there?
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #1657
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Carolina Adventure Cycles

I had the pleasure of meeting the owners -- Dean Jeffryes and Jeff Butler -- of a new business in the area called Carolina Adventure Cycles (www.CarolinaAdventureCycles.com). They are located in Matthews right on Hwy 74/Independence Blvd. just south of where it intersects with I485. Dean and Jeff are true motorcycle enthusiasts and have ridden the length of the TAT on a Yamaha TW200 and a vintage Honda CL350 Scrambler (see photos below). We had a great discussion about new and vintage motorcycles. Jeff especially likes working on vintage bikes.

They offer service, motorcycle rentals (Kawasaki's Versys and supermoto bikes), motorcycle sales, adventure outfitting, etc. Their service prices seem very reasonable ($60 hourly shop fee; $30 to mount and balance a tire) and I plan to give them a try next time I need maintenance on my V-Strom. JoeyBones suggested that I invite them to one of our Hawthorne Pizza gatherings and I will do so.

BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 06:18 PM
Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #1658
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
I was excited, that is, until I got to the papyrus font.... :lol
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #1659
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
I was excited, that is, until I got to the papyrus font.... :lol
Yeah, when searching for a highly qualified individual to work on my beloved V-Strom, his/her graphical arts prowess is usually the first thing on which I focus.

BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 05:06 PM
Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #1660
Sans Cage
Mousy traveller

Oddometer: 14
Pizza location

Just wondering why the Hawthorne location downtown and not the one on Rea Road? I realize it is not centrally located in the area but surely it must be a better location to get to. Looks like way more parking there also
Old 05-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #1661
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Cage View Post
Just wondering why the Hawthorne location downtown and not the one on Rea Road? I realize it is not centrally located in the area but surely it must be a better location to get to. Looks like way more parking there also
The uptown location was selected primarily because the menu does not use the papyrus font.

BluRidgeRider
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #1662
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Cage View Post
Just wondering why the Hawthorne location downtown and not the one on Rea Road?
With folks coming from all over, including Huntersville, Ft. Mill, Lake Wylie, University area and Monroe, the near-uptown choice is more-or-less centrally located.
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #1663
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Yeah, when searching for a highly qualified individual to work on my beloved V-Strom, his/her graphical arts prowess is usually the first thing on which I focus.

BluRidgeRider
Quote:
The uptown location was selected primarily because the menu does not use the papyrus font.

BluRidgeRider
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #1664
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,293
Mmmm. I'm not getting any serious bites on FM. Anyone here interested at $900 before it goes on eBay? And I'll throw in the hitch carrier I have that fits the bike and lets anyone with a 2" receiver haul it around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
2004 Yamaha TTR-125 with Baja Designs Dual Sport kit. Runs very well and had a recent carb clean, oil change, etc.

The headlight, taillight and turn signals work. The mirrors are included but are not on the bike in these pics. The horn doesn't work, the speedo is an electronic unit made for a bicycle and does not work - needs batteries I suspect. I don't know if the tires are street legal - they're pretty serious knobbies and for putting the bike on the street I guess it would depend on how well you knew the guy doing the inspection. So think of it as a dirt bike that could be put on the street with a little tinkering.

Electric start. And the bike has had a North Carolina license plate on it in the past.

I have a clean North Carolina street bike title in my name.

One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #1665
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Weekend Ride?

Looks like Sunday weather will be the nicer of the two weekend days coming up.

Augie: You up for leading a ride on Sunday? Street bike or adventure bike; your preference.

BluRidgeRider