ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #3091
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost

Oddometer: 186
Sorry for the slow response, I spent the day super slabbing it form Charlotte to Nashville today. Plan for tomorrow is to ride the Natchez Trace Parkaway south and eventually work my way over to Houston,TX by Sunday. Spend the week working in Houston and then work my way home.

Anywho.....it is true that un-assisted GPS's do require a somewhat clear view of the sky and I have had instances where they will loose signal in very dense tree cover, but not very often. Assisted GPS's can use other sources such as cellular or wifi data to"assist" the standard receiver, hence why they lock on and know where you are so fast.

Chances are if your map went blank it meant it didn't have that particular map tile cached and didn't know what to display. MotionX will let you pre-cache map tiles and choose the zoom levels for the area/route to avoid that if you lose cell signal. This is a big advantage with dedicated GPS'rs, they have the actual map data local so it makes that part fool proof, don't have to remember to manually load map data. Most GPS's will also announce if you lost signal.....MotionX has a setting that can turn this on or off. I think the default is on. Easiest way to check in a case like that would be to check the compass page and see if your still moving. If you are, gps signal is good but map data is missing. Also, depending on the map source, many don't show Maple Sally going all the way through. I've seen some with a big hole in the middle!

I've been running both on the BMW lately... (Yea, I'm a geek)

Today's excursion....

And the reward at the end of the day....

pieeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #3092
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Pie eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeye View Post
Sorry for the slow response, I spent the day super slabbing it form Charlotte to Nashville today. Plan for tomorrow is to ride the Natchez Trace Parkaway south and eventually work my way over to Houston,TX by Sunday. Spend the week working in Houston and then work my way home.

Anywho.....it is true that un-assisted GPS's do require a somewhat clear view of the sky and I have had instances where they will loose signal in very dense tree cover, but not very often. Assisted GPS's can use other sources such as cellular or wifi data to"assist" the standard receiver, hence why they lock on and know where you are so fast.

Chances are if your map went blank it meant it didn't have that particular map tile cached and didn't know what to display. MotionX will let you pre-cache map tiles and choose the zoom levels for the area/route to avoid that if you lose cell signal. This is a big advantage with dedicated GPS'rs, they have the actual map data local so it makes that part fool proof, don't have to remember to manually load map data. Most GPS's will also announce if you lost signal.....MotionX has a setting that can turn this on or off. I think the default is on. Easiest way to check in a case like that would be to check the compass page and see if your still moving. If you are, gps signal is good but map data is missing. Also, depending on the map source, many don't show Maple Sally going all the way through. I've seen some with a big hole in the middle!

I've been running both on the BMW lately... (Yea, I'm a geek)

Today's excursion....

And the reward at the end of the day....

Oh Fbomb, so all I have to do is fit all that crap on my XR..........done no problem! So through all of that "stuff" you just said, can I "look" at the entire route I am going to take, in that zoom level and it will "save" it so to speak? I did not lose signal over Maple Sally it followed me the whole way. Where it did lose me was going up off Roseboro Rd. on Old House Gap Rd., I believe aka NFS Rd. 1530 at the top almost where it runs into Edgemont, it is quite a covered up beet to shit trail, I believe you, Mongle and I rode down it one day......its different going up. After it lost me it was scrambled for a while.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #3093
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
And

update your machine list it is missing one.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 AM   #3094
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
Oh Fbomb, so all I have to do is fit all that crap on my XR..........done no problem! So through all of that "stuff" you just said, can I "look" at the entire route I am going to take, in that zoom level and it will "save" it so to speak? I did not lose signal over Maple Sally it followed me the whole way. Where it did lose me was going up off Roseboro Rd. on Old House Gap Rd., I believe aka NFS Rd. 1530 at the top almost where it runs into Edgemont, it is quite a covered up beet to shit trail, I believe you, Mongle and I rode down it one day......its different going up. After it lost me it was scrambled for a while.
Yes, in MotionX Drive, you need to call up the destination, and before you tell it to navigate , hit options and choose "pre-load maps". That should download the maps along the route.

In MotionX GPS you go to "settings"- "map downloads" and choose the map type, area and zoom levels.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:00 AM   #3095
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Yes, in MotionX Drive, you need to call up the destination, and before you tell it to navigate , hit options and choose "pre-load maps". That should download the maps along the route.

In MotionX GPS you go to "settings"- "map downloads" and choose the map type, area and zoom levels.
Or, you could buy a paper map -- Delorme publishes one for each state -- and use that without changing any settings.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #3096
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 404
I have Delorme map books for a bunch of states, including: NC, TN, SC, WV, VA, MD, CO, MT, UT, WY, NE and SD. Great maps and I have found some wonderful places to ride using them. Including a 70 mile stretch of dirt fire roads through the mountains in Montana near Missoula.

Nice to sit down with one of those maps in the evening and peruse it for places to ride.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #3097
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Today's excursion....

Well, you rode right by me. Did you wave?

Just before 40 goes into 24 is where I'm stuck for the week.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #3098
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
Well, you rode right by me. Did you wave?

Just before 40 goes into 24 is where I'm stuck for the week.
Yep and honking the horn too, didn't you hear me?
Old 05-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #3099
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
Or, you could buy a paper map -- Delorme publishes one for each state -- and use that without changing any settings.

Numa
Old school, I like it!

Actually, I'm a paper map junkie too. Got boxes full of them for all over but mostly out west. Benchmark, Butler, FunTreks, Latitude 40 plus all the Charles Wells guide books just to name a few. So many places to explore and so little time!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #3100
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post

Numa

Reminds me of a guy I used to ride with. We would get lost pretty regularly. When I would pull the old paper map out he would walk to the nearest tree and start shaking it. He would then ask: "can you see the tree moving on the map? That is where we are at."

Same guy- we get completely lost and it is starting to get late. Sun isn't even up so I couldn't even tell you what direction east/west was. This is before cell phones/gps. We find an abandoned gas station that actually has a working pay phone. He doesn't even think twice and calls 911. His conversation as I over hear it:

"We are two motocyclist who are about to be stranded motorist in the middle of no where. Does the 911 call show you where we are at?"

-Pause-

"Ok, good. Can you tell us how to get to Wilksboro?"

-Pause, then he starts beating the phone against the building-

"Lady, if I knew which way fucking east was I wouldn't be lost! When I pull out of this dump do I go left or right?"

-Pause-

"Great- Thank you"

I like paper and GPS. It is easier to get an "overview" with the paper map. GPS points me in the right direction when I lose my "towards".
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #3101
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 693
I've actually tried to get off my GPS addiction. You never really learn the roads. I have paper maps, but folded state maps and not map books like I used to use for my job as a delivery boy back in the '70s. I need to think about buying a few and finding my way without electronics.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #3102
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post

Same guy- we get completely lost and it is starting to get late. Sun isn't even up so I couldn't even tell you what direction east/west was. This is before cell phones/gps. We find an abandoned gas station that actually has a working pay phone. He doesn't even think twice and calls 911. His conversation as I over hear it:

"We are two motocyclist who are about to be stranded motorist in the middle of no where. Does the 911 call show you where we are at?"

-Pause-

"Ok, good. Can you tell us how to get to Wilksboro?"

-Pause, then he starts beating the phone against the building-

"Lady, if I knew which way fucking east was I wouldn't be lost! When I pull out of this dump do I go left or right?"

-Pause-

"Great- Thank you"

holy hell that's awesome!

I like how my GPS tells me how far away I am from the next turn so I can concentrate on the scenery instead of watching road signs, but I always have back up paper maps. I LOVE the map store up by Kings Road Farmers Market. I've spent $200 in there at one time before. KatoomWife just laughed and shook her head.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:21 AM   #3103
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
WE MEET-UP ON THE THIRD THURSDAY OF EACH MONTH AT HAWTHORNE'S (1701 E. 7th ST). AROUND 6 PM FOR MOST FOLKS BUT SHOW UP WHEN YOU CAN! THE 2014 SCHEDULE IS:

January 16th * February 20th * March 20th * April 17th

May 15th * June 19th * July 17th * August 21st

September 18th * October 16th * November 20th * December 18th
Thought I'd bump this since the May meet-up comes along pretty early in the month this time around. It's possible that a guy I ride with who lives in upstate NY (Eric) may show up - if he does I'll explain the tradition we have of out-of-towners picking up the beer tab and I expect everyone to solemnly swear that this has always been the case.

One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:22 AM   #3104
parallaxbill
Old dude, new rider.

Oddometer: 157
Thanks for the reminder!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:26 AM   #3105
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Today's excursion....
Average speed 65.9...

So, you're still on the break-in period for your K16?

One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote