ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #1051
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,337
Had a great time today trail riding with Boike33 and JMforPres. And my DR only took one nap, which almost wasn't my fault - I mean c'mon, that was a BIG rock!

Next on the calendar is a street-bike ride in the mountains the weekend of November 10th and 11th. We'll run the Moonshiner 28 and a few other twisty roads that shall remain nameless (lest some idiot name them, print up t-shirts and draw too much attention, ruining perfectly good roads). Weather permitting - we'll make the go/no-go decision a couple of days in advance. A buddy of mine may be coming down from Illinois and we'll meet at Deals Gap around 9 AM or so on Saturday the 10th.

And one more note... The November 15th meet-up at Hawthornes is the THREE YEAR anniversary of this little get-together, and I am hoping we can have a really good turnout. Please try to attend, and post-up here if you can make it!
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #1052
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
What are these trails you speak of? I was under the impression that everything within a 100 mile radius of Charlotte was paved.

If I'm not playing lacrosse this Thursday I'll swing by. Our season ends in a few weeks so I'll have to find something to do on Thursday nights...

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #1053
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
What are these trails you speak of? I was under the impression that everything within a 100 mile radius of Charlotte was paved.

If I'm not playing lacrosse this Thursday I'll swing by. Our season ends in a few weeks so I'll have to find something to do on Thursday nights...
Planning on coming, and possibly bringing a few extras....
wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #1054
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
NEXT MEET-UP IS THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 15th, 2012 AT HAWTHORNE'S ON 7th ST. AROUND 6 PM FOR MOST FOLKS BUT SHOW UP WHEN YOU CAN!
Katoom - Just to be clear, the next monthly meet-up is on November 15th. And there are PLENTY of trail-riding opportunities within 10 or 15 miles of Uptown. In fact, we know a few good spots inside of 485... Come hang out and we'll fill you in!
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #1055
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 458
Ride Planning - I'm In

Have just moved into the Charlotte area -- Monroe -- from Maryland. I plan on attending the Ride Planning meeting and am interested in learning about good local places to ride.
BluRidgeRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #1056
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Katoom - Just to be clear, the next monthly meet-up is on November 15th. And there are PLENTY of trail-riding opportunities within 10 or 15 miles of Uptown. In fact, we know a few good spots inside of 485... Come hang out and we'll fill you in!
Thats what I was hoping to hear. It's on the calendar.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #1057
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
Have just moved into the Charlotte area -- Monroe -- from Maryland. I plan on attending the Ride Planning meeting and am interested in learning about good local places to ride.
I moved here from Maryland myself. Where ya from and what do you ride? I have an R1200RT and a DR 650.

There's a little street-bike ride through the mountains planned for the weekend of November 10th and 11th, weather permitting, and dual-sport rides can be put together local and fairly often.

::edit:: And a couple of us are headed down to Carolina Adventure World on Saturday October 27th...

JoeyBones screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 06:48 AM
Old 10-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #1058
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,270
If anyone is currious: YES, it is cold in the mountains!

Some friends and I decided to do a last minute sport bike ride up Jonas Ridge yesterday. When we left it was 60 degrees and sunny- When we got to the top of the mountain it was 43 foggy and raining! Of course, we weren't smart enough to turn around and go home...we hit RT105 and rode over to Boone for lunch where the wind picked up. Someone could have gotten a GREAT deal on a bike as long as they included a bus ride home. I didn't take one picture because I didn't want to take my hands out of my gloves. The wife, who was riding pillion, refused to talk to me until I built a fire at the house for her to warm up.

Looks like mountain riding on the sport bike is done for the year... Leaves still look nice in the foothills. Most of them are gone in the upper elevations.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #1059
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
When we got to the top of the mountain it was 43 foggy and raining!
Sport bike? I thought you had a KLR? Or do I have my inmates confused? A KLR rider would have simply found some old newspapers and stuffed them in his jacket and pants to keep warm.

I feel like I'm gonna need a long weekend ride to Florida sometime over the winter. Ride South until I no longer need the Gerbings, then add 200 miles. Last winter I went all the way to Key West. Maybe a group ride is in order this winter...?

Old 10-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #1060
BOIKE333
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
11-3

SORRY-11-4

If anyone is up for it, I may try and get out early Sunday morning and do some exploring around the SC/NC border, mainly power lines etc. These will be areas I have never ridden before but the gates are open on a couple, and others may have a sign up, but the open gate says come on in. Let me know if your intersted-it should be interesting. Planning on a 9am stands up, done by 12ish.
BOIKE333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #1061
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Sport bike? I thought you had a KLR? Or do I have my inmates confused? A KLR rider would have simply found some old newspapers and stuffed them in his jacket and pants to keep warm.

I feel like I'm gonna need a long weekend ride to Florida sometime over the winter. Ride South until I no longer need the Gerbings, then add 200 miles. Last winter I went all the way to Key West. Maybe a group ride is in order this winter...?
I have a DR650 as well (Suzuki KLR). If the wife rides with me I take the TL1000R- It is the only way I can keep up with the other hooligans! I've never done the "hobo insulation" before...I will have to remember that.

Key West is sounding great right now... I am realizing I didn't move far enough south!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #1062
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIKE333 View Post
If anyone is up for it, I may try and get out early Sunday morning and do some exploring around the SC/NC border, mainly power lines etc. .... Planning on a 9am stands up, done by 12ish.
November 4th - I'm a definite maybe.... Augie? Pieeye? HarryHammer? JMforPres? Mongle?

Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #1063
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost

Oddometer: 190
I might be able to sneak out for a few hours. Put me down as a maybe....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
pieeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #1064
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Saturday ride

Quote:
November 4th - I'm a definite maybe.... Augie? Pieeye? HarryHammer? JMforPres? Mongle?
Can anyone ride Saturday?
wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #1065
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdawg View Post
Can anyone ride Saturday?
This is the last weekend of football season for the kids so Saturdays will open back up for me after this one.
pieeye is offline   Reply With Quote