ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #1306
pieeye
Go Far...Get Lost

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Unfortunately I have to bail on the get-together this month as business requires me to be in Raleigh Wednesday through Friday (and then Sunday I leave for Milwaukee). Everyone have fun and I'll be looking for a dirt ride later in January!

Here's a reminder for y'all...
Looks like I'll be in Raleigh Thursday too......maybe we need to have the get-together up there this month!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #1307
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 858
Augie - thanks for leading Jeff, Larry & I through 570 mi of hither 'n yon over the w/e. I'm delighted that I've
found good riding and camaraderie in NC. Enjyd meeting you guys 'n getting acquainted 'n looking forward to more.
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #1308
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Yeah I'm leading a ride that Friday and probably running sweep for KTM Mike on Saturday.
Cool, I'm thinking of going. Not sure which of the rides I'd be best suited for on the Wee. I'll be need tires by then so maybe I'll make my tire decision with that in mind.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #1309
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 272
Ride Photos - North Carolina

Cherohala Skyway.

The view from atop Little Switzerland.

V-Strom at Brown Mountain.

Linville Falls.

Linville Gorge.

BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #1310
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Any of you planning on going to Rick's Rendezvous in May?
That's a bit far off to commit with certainty, but I am hoping to go to that event. Am planning to camp if I am able to go.

Numa
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #1311
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 584
JeepJeff, Flasher, Allonsye and I had a real nice mountian ride with some lite fireroad and a lot of twistie 2 lane mountian roads in western nc and northern sc with an overnite stay in cherokee sat nite. we met in Mt Holly around 900 sat morning and returned home around 430 on sunday riding a little over 500 miles with no interstate riding. A good time was had by all. Hope to see you all at hawthorns on thursday.

augiedog screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 06:11 PM
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #1312
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,420
Quote:
Hope all is well with everyone.

Any of you planning on going to Rick's Rendezvous in May?
Quote:
Cool, I'm thinking of going. Not sure which of the rides I'd be best suited for on the Wee. I'll be need tires by then so maybe I'll make my tire decision with that in mind.
I also lead rides at the RDV.....with my Strom if it's in running order. I'll be up there from Wed evening through Sunday about noon.

knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #1313
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
I'll be running Anakees on my 990. It'll be more than adequate for my ride and probably Mike's too.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to North Dakota
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #1314
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
I'll be running Anakees on my 990. It'll be more than adequate for my ride and probably Mike's too.
That;'s exactly what I was thinking. Looks like I'll be getting them sooner than I thought. Here's what I was greeted with when I walked out to go to work this morning. (Fully suited up and late, too)

Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #1315
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
I was greeted with that same sight last month, luckily I was leaving work though. Nice 2" deck screw right in the center of the tread.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #1316
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Ride Video - NC Route 90

Here's a link to some video I shot in the mountains on NC Route 90 just west of Lenoir two Saturdays ago.

http://youtu.be/e32paIp2FQA

BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 02:24 PM
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #1317
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Enjoying little adventures on the way to and from work. My ride home on Friday was interesting... I've found a natural gas pipeline trail from my office in Rock Hill, lots of little off-shoots to explore and some very slick clay, too:

Why yes, how did you know I needed blinker fluid?!

Ended up running out of gas off Paraham road. Hit reserve at 152 miles at at 155 it died - tank was dry What's REALLY weird is I put an offer in on this house over the summer, and I just so happened to run out of gas, coast down a hill, pull into the neighborhood and came to a stop RIGHT in front of it.

Turns out the neighbors were really nice as within 5 minutes I had 2 offers to get gas for me. A nice lady brought out her gas gan, actually ran to the gas station to fill it up and insisted that I fill the bike up, and wouldn't take a dime from me. Thank you kind lady, nice people do exist

I hope to get up to the mountains on this little bike sometime soon, maybe a mini dual sport camping trip... hmm...
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #1318
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
Turns out the neighbors were really nice as within 5 minutes I had 2 offers to get gas for me. A nice lady brought out her gas gan, actually ran to the gas station to fill it up and insisted that I fill the bike up, and wouldn't take a dime from me. Thank you kind lady, nice people do exist
In Idaho a few years back, in the middle of nowhere, I got off the interstate and headed for a gas station shown on the sign to be right off the exit. It'd been about 40 miles since i'd seen a station and I had the blinky light. I get there and the place is deserted, boarded up, you get the idea. Guy across the street was in his garage so I rode over to ask if he knew where the closest station was. He said it was at least 15 miles, but he had a few gallons he'd sell me for $20. Wasn't sure I could make it that far, so I obliged. I probably got 3 gallons at most, and was happy to get it rather than being stranded.

Got back on the interstate and there was a station less than 2 miles down the road. Nice guy.

In other news, Team Charlotte off Freedom Drive gave me a good deal on tires. They just matched Motorcycle Superstore's price on a new set of Anakee 2's for my Wee, with the condition I have them mounted there. They took about a $50 hit on their original price, so I was impressed. Still deciding on a tire (Heidenau K60 Scout looks interesting) but I definitely will buy from them if they match prices like that.

They mount/balance for $25/tire if you bring the tires to them off the bike. Around $90 if you bring the whole bike, which is a bit ridiculous to me.

I need to rig something up took keep my Wee upright while the wheels are off since I don't have a centerstand. I know you can buy lifts, but where's the fun in that?

EvanADV screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 12:40 PM
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #1319
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 858
Sat the 19th Ride - Local Parks Ride - SC

Anyone care to join me Sat? Here's a partial idea I've in mind that includes Crowders, Kings and Cowpens Parks:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=De...,7,8,9&t=m&z=9
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #1320
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
Anyone care to join me Sat? Here's a partial idea I've in mind that includes Crowders, Kings and Cowpens Parks:
Being tied up with lots of work stuff during all this warm weather is killing me. I'll be unavailable this weekend as well (plus I hate missing the Hawthorne's dinner this month). Maybe the weekend of the 26th I can get one or both of the bikes out of hibernation...
States left to ride: MI, WI, MN, ND, ID, NV, OR, WA, AK and HI. IBA #48773
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote