Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #31
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate
That would be a fun bike to ride to a H-D meeting...
I rode this one to an HD meeting

Even put on a beenie helmet, leather vest and tried to keep the meanest face I could without laughing.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #32
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhess74
so, they may have gotten the motorcycle touring theme started, but they sure as hell didnt improve upon it. too bad it took buell to try to do it with the uly (great bike)...
I don't agree with that. Granted the whole pirate dentist thing is more than a little tiresome. But there are people that tour on Harleys. I have a friend that probably rolls up more miles in a year than almost anybody posting here.

And he does it on a beautiful Electra Glide. The guy is retired and always rode sport tourers in the past. These days he knows his hauling ass days are behind him. So he basically wanted a very comfortable bike to ride on long trips.

His wife gave him an Electra Glide for a birthday/retirement present. And his Japanese bike probably hasn't been started in two years. That Glide is pretty much the perfect touring bike for rolling up long interstate highway miles.

His normal ride is MD to SC or the other way around in one day. And that bike makes his 500 mile ride easy and comfortable in all weather. In other words not all Harley guys are are bar hopping pirates. There are more than a few riders in the bunch.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #33
onebadhp2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
My Great Grandpa was the construction supervisor for Pacific bell in the 20-30s for the foothills of California...He had an Indian Scout that he used almost every night to ride down to the nearest "Speak Easy" for some evening fun...There was only dirt roads and side trails short cuts for the trip...He lived to be 100 and said a motorcycle was only way to go, Gramps would say,"Hell, I would leave the same time as a group in a pickup and I would be ready to go back to camp by the time they arrived". One example of an Indian adventure rider...
onebadhp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #34
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
grreatdog, i didnt say people didnt continue to tour on hd's. i said the company focus didnt continue on that way. the proof for that is to go visit the showroom. the only thing youll find touring related is the e/rglide series. thats it. no gear, no mention, no incentive. i certainly dont see any ads reminiscent of that '74 ad. basically, the pirate dentists (the ones with the $$$) have taken over.

yes, people tour on glides, but they as individuals do it, not hd corporate.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
Concours Owners Group #8904

2008 Yamaha FZ6-Black

Iron Butt Association #30337
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #35
ShaunTheSheep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Dark days for Harley

The AMF years sent Harley into a tailspin. The lack of quality control leading to new bikes having drip pans under them on the showroom floor was really bad for Harley. When Harley Davidson was purchased back from AMF Harley had to go for a core market and focus on quality. They went the route of the classic American motorcycle as their way back. With the help of the tariff years Harley obviously made their comeback. They are making some changes, such as partnering with Buell, to begin a push into the sport-bike market and the Adventure market. A large segment of the Harley customer base gets real angry any time Harley tries something different. They have pigeon holed themselves into a market that, luckily, is still profitable. I have talked to plenty "pirates" all of whom saw me as another motorcycle rider and were very polite. They all ride and I believe a lot of them vote. The riders that are morons will be morons no matter what they ride.
ShaunTheSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #36
Big Doobie
Frustrated Redneck

Oddometer: 539
Did Harley Davidson Pioneer Adventure Touring?

I'd say yes, but mostly because there was a time when most of the motorcycles being riden in the United States were Harleys, or maybe Indians.

Somebody had posted black and white photos from the 50s showing people riding in the woods and snow on big old Harleys.

I figure the old timers, didn't call it "Adventure Touring" probably just called it taking a trip on a motorcycle.

Those guys and probably a couple ladies, didn't have or need the accutrements, that many people consider necessities now.

I think some of the Harley guys are in fact dicks, but I'm don't think they all are. Some of them are as real riders as exist.

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do." Joe Walsh
Big Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #37
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunTheSheep
The AMF years sent Harley into a tailspin. The lack of quality control leading to new bikes having drip pans under them on the showroom floor was really bad for Harley. When Harley Davidson was purchased back from AMF Harley had to go for a core market and focus on quality.
Unfortunately drip pans under new Harleys (and Triumphs) on the showroom floor started well before AMF. The AMF focus on production goals to the detriment of quality did manage to drive the quality significantly lower and produce the foulest Harley Davidsons in memory. My friends who bought new Electra Glides in the late '70s will never again own Harleys.

The Tom Peters series "In Search of Excellence" includes a great story - how the MC came back from near collapse by encouraging the employees to build the best bikes they could in the factories they already had. Amazing what they were able to accomplish with little more than individual workers' pride and making every employee responsible for quality.
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #38
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow
Unfortunately drip pans under new Harleys (and Triumphs) on the showroom floor started well before AMF. The AMF focus on production goals to the detriment of quality did manage to drive the quality significantly lower and produce the foulest Harley Davidsons in memory. My friends who bought new Electra Glides in the late '70s will never again own Harleys.
Some here seem to have selective memories. AMF was not all bad. It was under AMF ownership that the "EVO" was born and the Trouble head was buried for good.

That more than anything is what helped HD make a comeback.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #39
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,802
" Did Harley Davidson Pioneer Adventure Touring? "

Why yes... yes they did.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #40
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,426
I can't believe that nobody has quoted this thread yet!

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) click title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Weber
On Thanksgiving Day, as most of America was watching football, the Weber household was sitting around talking about bikes. We started looking though my dad’s old riding photos. These are so great that I had to share some with all of you…

My dad and some friends were Adventure Riders to the hilt back in the 1950’s. Sunday rides were the thing for these guys, with the occasional jaunt to Mexico City or somewhere thrown in for fun. First let’s introduce the characters. Here's the clan filling up for gas somewhere near Fort Collings, CO. We've got them from left to right:
Jerry Francis, 1950 Harley 74
Mike Sadusky, 1950 Harley 74
Warren Weber (my dad), 1950 Harley 74
Wendell Rea, 1942 Harley 45 CI. Notice the front knobby!

I guess the 1950 Harley 74 was 'all that', Just like the GS is (supposedly) these days. Seems pretty popular anyhow...

Here's the 'usual suspects' again taking a morning break on a nice Sunday ride.

One Sunday ride took 'em to the top of Mount Evans, elevation 14,264. This was back in the day before it was paved all the way to the top. It was, however, paved here if it hadn't been for the snow. I was recently in a similar situation on my Rally Twin coming over Pearl Pass. I thought it was touchy enough, and I didn't have a FOOT CLUTCH!!! Yikes!

Yet another 1952 Sunday ride ventured up Arapahoe Pass - it's near Eldora, Colorado and is now all wilderness. Stupid lousy rotten environmental freaks, but I digress… (sigh)

The clan started out from my Dad's house in Wheat Ridge, which is a stone's throw from Golden, CO. They usually left about 8:00 a.m. If you didn't arrive on time, they'd leave you. Hard knocks. They headed up to Boulder, CO and followed the nice, twisty, scenic Boulder Canyon to Nederland. From there they headed through the town of Eldora and up Arapahoe pass.

Now some things never change. There's always that one person in the group that either insists that they absolutely positively know where to go, or that it "not that bad". In this case, the group ended up venturing down this:

Turned out that this the wrong way (DUH!). The Harley guys actually let the english bike riders be guinea pigs on this part of the ride. Must've been one of those hot-headed british riding know-it-alls that suggested it in the first place...

After some back tracking and de-mudding operations, they finally found the right trail and made it to the top at 11905 feet elevation. Nice day!

I also think these guys could've invented the "No Fear" logo. I have fear when it associates a 750 lb hard tail with a stream crossing on a trail. These guys really deserve some respect for being able to pull this off. Or they deserve to be taken away in straight jackets, I'm not really sure.

Not that they didn't dab once or twice. OK, maybe they dabbed about 100 times, but they still made it across. Now it's time to take a break and dry out.

Here’s a portrait of my dad taken in 1951, just before the start of a nice ride. Notice the cool stylish apparel. Helmet? I don't need no stinking helmet! Of course, this was pre-head injury days....

These guys also had a lot of fun just playin’ around. Imagine getting a couple feet (OR MORE!) of air on a 750 HARD-TAIL Harley! This makes you GS-jumpers look like whimps, with your fancy rear suspension and all. Sheesh!

But the most insane (read: talented) member of the group in the area of piloting a Harley 74(7) through the air was a fellow named Kenny Erie. If Kenny was alive today and about 50 years younger, I’m sure he’d be one of the top names in freestyle!

These guys weren't shy of riding on a bit of snow, either. Here's Mike Sadusky on his 50 Harley. Man, I really envy this guy's legs. I bet he could straddle the 950 Adventure-S with his knees bent. Me, on the other hand, can't physically touch both toes to the ground at the same time. Mike used to drape his legs over the handle bars to stretch on those long road trips (no joking!). Who needs hiway pegs?

You’d think these guys would know when to stop. Apparently not…

Good thing Mike has those long legs...

These were taken up by my Dad's cabin on Mt Thorodin. Wanna park, but you're too lazy to put the side stand down? Just cram it in a snow bank and leave it like my dad did. Mike and Kenny are in the process of “parking”.

These guys were never short of play time. Once again, Mike's extra long legs save the day. Well, almost.

And again...

You’re not a real rider unless you can power slide…

And they liked a bit of dirt tracking to boot!

And I have yet to try this one:

So, as it goes on Thanksgiving day you’re supposed to think what you’re thankful for. I’m thankful for my dad being a nutcase in the 1950’s, buying my brother Wayne and I Z-50’s in the 70s, and riding every chance I get with my friends and family!

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #41
Quickv4
Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer: 530
Now THATS cool. Thanks for posting those pics!!!

www.v4hondabbs.com
Quickv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #42
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,223
Just gos to show

It is the RIDER not the bike.

A good rider can wring an Adventure Tour out of any bike.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #43
blktopburner
FAR POINT EXPLORER

Oddometer: 158

Just like some of the Modern Day fun we have out in the Flint Hills...that's my bald head......looking is amazement at how we were going to Extract our Leader that day...

JC-"the "Blktopburner"

Album:http://photobucket.com/JCs_super_sherpa

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure
'09 Kawa Super Sherpa
'06 Ducati 620 Multistrada
'81 BMW R100 Vintage Enduro Project

blktopburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #44
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Eek

knybanjo, very cool pics indeed, thanks for sharing!!! now THAT is adventure touring. guys like that back then had huevos grande! doing stuff like that today is nothing...gps, spot trackers, towing plans, motorcycle forums for info sharing, fuel injection, abs...

jeebus, jumping a hard tail?!

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
Concours Owners Group #8904

2008 Yamaha FZ6-Black

Iron Butt Association #30337
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #45
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,083
That isn't exactly ancient history. I am "only" 50 but when I was a kid hare scrambles was still mostly Triumphs, BSA's and a few Sportsters. Even MX was races were mostly stripped street bikes. Every bike was a potential offroad bike. It worked like this:

Street: stock lights and turnsignals with street tread
Enduro: lights but stripped the turnsignals off with trials tread
MX: stripped the lights and turn signals with knobbies

Little Japanese and European two strokes were thought to be too light and too underpowered to compete. Some of my best memories are of kids racing huge BSA's on our local hare scrambles/MX track. It was a sugar sand track with low whoops and jumps so the roost was truly glorious.