ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
TigerTanker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Need Mt St. Helens Trip Ideas/Riders

I live in Tacoma, and looking for one day, and or two three day trip ideas around the greater area of Mt St. Helens.

I'd prefer to avoid any really nasty or tough riding, but really want to see dirt roads, bad dirt roads, and some atv type stuff.

If someone is interested in joining me, or would like to show a fairly new ADV rider the ropes of the area, please let me know.

I am an intermediate rider, run a Tiger 800xcx, 48 yrs old, in pretty decent shape. My extraordinary skills are cooking and paying.

I could do a this Sunday trip for the day, and game for something longer in a couple few weeks from now. Sunday the trip needs to be somewhat mellow because I haven't swapped out the street tires yet, that will happen next week.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
TigerTanker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have been running at 30mph on "bad" dirt roads. These slippery tires are keeping me grounded, and making me a bit careful. Can't wait for the TKC80's....
Old 06-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #3
TheBarry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
sunday

I'm thinking of taking a trip down that way Sunday to break in my new tires. Was thinking of heading down to PDX, heading east, going up towards Mt. Adams and raking the dirt road up to St. Helen's. Then north to Randle, east to Packwood and up/over Cayuse pass and down 410 towards home.

I'm new to the adventure bike world, so I nah be slow on the dirt. However, if you're interested, let me know.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
TigerTanker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, sounds good. Tell me where and when to meet. PDX??

I am going to be out today until early evening, will check back on this thread then.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
TheBarry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
route

Just did some route planning. Looks like I'll be on pavement all day. I'm going to cut east on the WA side of the river and head north to Randle via the Mt St Helens road rather than the dirt road farther east.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
TigerTanker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm looking at hitting some dirt up in that Randle area. If you want to meet at Randle, there is an intersection (12 and 131), a convenience store there.

Let me know what time you'd be there and we can meet up. I'm going to look at some maps tonight for the area.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
TigerTanker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Real disappointed in response...

So I just winged it on my own

From randle I took hwy 23 to fs 28 and did 20 miles on a nice gravel road. Sign says mosquito meadows. I took it until it dumped me onto hwy 25 which I took south all the way to cougar. My maps were wrong and from cougar I got lost and wound up taking 54 up into the hillson a single but paved road that was fun. I turned around and took 90 from cougar back to 23. I stopped at a lake that had a killer view of mt Adams. I then continued on a combo of paved and gravel on 23 back to randle. I drove for 13 hours and did about 500 miles.

The best part is 25 because the pavement is pretty good, windy, not much traffic. Racing through gears 3 to 5 speeds between 40 to 80. The road is full of bikers, no cops, and very scenic.

Pm me if you want more details....
Old 06-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
TigerTanker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This trip could have easily been a two or three day ride. Tons of tourist spots along the way, lakes and streams, caves, Helen's and Adams , hiking...

Now that I have a good big picture, I will go back and do some of the tourist things along the way.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #9
TigerTanker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Takhlakh lake was the view point for Adams. Not to be missed. Nice campground there too. Short ride off of 23.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
joeaverage
mediumcore

Oddometer: 148
I've been too slammed with other stuff to do any riding lately but I will be in the area the weekend of the 4th and hope to have my bike with me. I could do a half day ride Saturday morning. I usually haul my bike up there and stage by the river. There is an awesome road off of the 28 that loops back down that I took a few years ago and want to ride again. It was big bike friendly back then but off road tires would help.
joeaverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #11
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I live down near Portland. I have 3rd thru the 6th off, and been wondering where Me n my Tiger will spend our days off. Im not a great dirt rider but I do like FS roads and gravel fine. I do stop and take lots of pictures though. And roaming around up in the Gifford Pinchot NF wouldn't be bad. If your interested I was kicking around the idea of checking out Willamette NF between Sisters and Bend also. Anyway, Im gonna be somewhere this weekend. Give me a shout.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #12
TigerTanker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got a wedding to attend this w/e, headed out towards Naches.

I am definitely going back to this area in the coming weeks, will post again. If you guys head out that way, find anything fun or interesting, post it here!

I do find both Adams and Helens very good at hiding, unlike Rainier. I know 99 takes you up to Windy Ridge, but what other roads make for awesome viewing of this impressive mountains?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTanker View Post
I got a wedding to attend this w/e, headed out towards Naches.

I am definitely going back to this area in the coming weeks, will post again. If you guys head out that way, find anything fun or interesting, post it here!

I do find both Adams and Helens very good at hiding, unlike Rainier. I know 99 takes you up to Windy Ridge, but what other roads make for awesome viewing of this impressive mountains?
There are all sorts of side roads off of FS25 or 23. One especially cool road is to take the Hemlock road west at Stabler (on the Wind River Road). About 200 feet after turning off the Wind River Road make a right (North on Little Soda Springs Road) and follow that to the end and there's lots of little FS roads to get lost on (43, 33, 42, 41, etc.).

The 60 road east bound just north of Stabler is also pretty cool and will head you towards Trout Lake (Chevron Fuel station) and FS23. After a bit of tarmac, FS23 becomes gravel until it re-connects with FS25 up north.

HTH
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote