ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM   #1
Nomorefours OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Riding from Vancouver Island to Nelson BC for 2015 Ducati Rally

I am planning a ride from Vancouver Island to the Ducati Rally in Nelson BC at the end of June.

Here are details for the Ducati rally in Nelson:

http://ducwc.ca/rally.html

Here is my basic itinerary:

Thursday June 25th:

Take the ferry from Nanaimo on the morning, ride up through Whistler / Pemberton / Duffy Lake Road (AWESOME!), and spend the night in Lillooet.

Friday June 26th:

Ride to Penticton, spend the night there.

Sat June 27th:

Ride to Nelson, stay there nights of 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th.

Wed July 1st:

Ride to Winthrop, WA. Spend the night there.

Thurs July 2nd:

Ride Hwy 20 to Anacortes, catch the ferry to Sidney, and return home.

Highway 20 in Washington is literally the #1 motorcycling road anywhere near the west coast...phenomenal!!

Here is a google map of my proposed route:

http://tinyurl.com/ky2flyz

Here is some more info about Hwy 20:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/63...gton-Pass.html

If anyone wants to ride all or part of it with me, we can sort out details, but FWIW, I am not a huge fan of covering large distances in a single day. More than around 400 km in a day starts to feel like a marathon to me, and I enjoy the experience a lot less. I like being able to stop for a swim, to check out some interesting things on the route, etc. A couple of hours riding in the morning, leisurely lunch, then a couple more hours riding in the afternoon is a pace that I enjoy. Having said that, life does not always allow a leisurely pace and I will work with you to define an itinerary we both can live with if you are interested in going.

I am open to camping to keep costs down, and happy to bring along tent and sleeping bag...BUT I am a fair weather (i.e. perfect weather) camper only. Anything less than perfect weather, and I would definitely prefer to stay in a hotel or motel.

I will be riding my 2013 Ducati Multistrada. I am a very experienced (30+ years) rider, and I enjoy a quick pace. I have no problem stopping to wait periodically for anyone slower; every one needs to ride at their own pace to be safe and have fun.

So, there it is!

Let me know if you are interested. I can be reached by email at:

dougmgreen (at) gmail dot com

Cheers,

Doug
Nomorefours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM   #2
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,884
Wrong!,,well, a good start,,but then,,for a spirited rider,,
when you get to the Okanogan,,go north from Peachland ,, go past the big long okanogan lake, past Kelowna,, then wood lake,,and the fabulous Kalamalka lake,,turn off before Vernon towards Lavington, proceed thru Lumby,,then crank it up!,,,ride the Monashee highway (6) to the ferry at Needles/ Farquier,,check the ferry times,,,but don't take the ferry yet!
turn around and ride it back to about Cherryville,,then back again to the ferry,to meet up with yer assigned ferry time,,bikes load and unload first!,,if you are there on time!,,,,then follow the road to Nakusp,, go fast but wary,,,RCMP are there,,somewhere!,,
,then, just up the hill,,just out of Silverton,..CRANK it up some more !!! , , but watch for wildlife at all hours. South of the fun you'll hit small towns,, Christina Lake is awesome!,,a nice polite ride into Castlegar/ Nelson from there,,.best ever roads for your bike,,you will NOT be sorry!
Awesome roads!,,oh,,there is also the jog over to Kaslo,,that road is a "DO NOT MISS" by any measure!,,,IF,,you like roads with twisty turns and roads with big sweepers!
I always wanted to ride the Hope/Princeton unrestricted,,,what a road for flying!

If you want to take some time and adventure ride it,,then go north from Nakusp and ride the long way round,,it is a beautiful way to waste a day! but it's dirtier,,and slower,,and there are bears,,
I liked the highway between new denver and about winlaw,,,,but those days were less traffic,,,

(you did say Ducati,,right?)

peterman screwed with this post Yesterday at 11:12 PM
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote