ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #3376
r1200gsa83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Off-Pavement Ride Tracks

Hey y'all, I've been keeping up with the posts here and living vicariously through your adventures for the past several months. I've been tempted to meet up but my bike a wee bit LARGE and while I push her to do more than she's likely intended I do so very SLOWLY. Maybe with a bit of practice I can speed things up and be up to par with some of the rides y'all have. On that I was wondering if any of you guys happened to have some GPS tracks to impart that involved some off-road fun. My attempts at finding them thus far usually end up in finding a closed gate..
r1200gsa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #3377
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1200gsa83 View Post
Hey y'all, I've been keeping up with the posts here and living vicariously through your adventures for the past several months. I've been tempted to meet up but my bike a wee bit LARGE and while I push her to do more than she's likely intended I do so very SLOWLY. Maybe with a bit of practice I can speed things up and be up to par with some of the rides y'all have. On that I was wondering if any of you guys happened to have some GPS tracks to impart that involved some off-road fun. My attempts at finding them thus far usually end up in finding a closed gate..
What are you looking for gravel? And how far out do you want to ride? Last of all where are you finding locked gates? Most likely if you find a gate there will be a back way into there you want to go, just ask JJ, he thinks its funny to take fat guys up steep muddy hills. Seriously JJ that was a fun hill!
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #3378
SuperD!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:

Not riding with us is probably a good idea. We're all Super Motocrossers, known to throw sick backflips over flying helicopters and ditches full of angry sharks (and don't ask how we get the sharks into the forest!).

My best advice is to pick up a current Delorme or Benchmark atlas then grab hints from reports such as those bdcorrigan has put up. I'd share my tracks, but you'll just get dizzy following them around in circles where I was trying to figure out where I left my beer.
SuperD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #3379
r1200gsa83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
bdcorrigan: Anything with dirt will do, I've done part of the WABDR and that was fun but I found myself turning off the route in search of more variety. Distance wise I live in portland so as long as I can get there and back within 8 hours I'm sold! I've mostly tried exploring the Mt Hood area, took a few days on a mission to get as close to the top as possible and spent more time on pavement or mixed up with the difference between a hiking trail and a dirt road on my GPS. Lots of the dirt roads were gated and closed or would have warnings about private property.

SuperD: As long as you only sent me on ones that actually led to beer at the end I could see that being a worth while adventure So does the benchmark atlas differentiate road from dirt?

Do you guys all know any meet ups that happen with the big 1200cc dual sport bikes here?
r1200gsa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #3380
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,318
Quote:
Do you guys all know any meet ups that happen with the big 1200cc dual sport bikes here?
Yes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
I will say this, for a guy who told me he was gonna just take it easy on the gravel, Aaron never said no to any trail. His first dump was elegant to watch: a slow drop to the left, gently touching down and sliding on the grass as the bike gingerly turned 180 degrees in about 40 feet until finally coming to rest, all 600lbs of the fat beast, on top of poor Aaron.
Luckily he flies better than he rides

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #3381
aclark79
Rotor Driver

Oddometer: 614
HAH!

I get back from Stan on the 25th. Lets go for a ride!

granted, I'd rather take my 250 if we are going to do dirt. I've learned my lesson.

Vide, Aude, Tace

The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish

Experience is not what happens to a man, it is what a man does with what happens to him - Aldous Huxley
aclark79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #3382
1patriot4life
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
nOObie here! A buddy and myself picked up a couple XRL's recently and are looking for ideas for a good adventure ride for a weekend trip with some overnighting. We plan on leaving PDX on a Friday afternoon and return Sunday. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks in advance.
1patriot4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #3383
matloik OP
kludge

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1patriot4life View Post
nOObie here! A buddy and myself picked up a couple XRL's recently and are looking for ideas for a good adventure ride for a weekend trip with some overnighting. We plan on leaving PDX on a Friday afternoon and return Sunday. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks in advance.
May 30th: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post21397642
Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #3384
FSRIDER
This guy rides a lot

Oddometer: 64
Trail ride tomorrow?

I'm going to head up past sunset falls camp tomorrow afternoon to check out the #139 trail. I've never been on it but I think its the only way up to lookout mountain right now with all the snow drifts.

I'm thinking of leaving Battle Ground about 1pm if anyone is interested.

Link to my 2010 OBCDR RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596782
FSRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #3385
FSRIDER
This guy rides a lot

Made it out to the trail today, here are some pics of the ride.

That's as far as I made it, the river was definitely low enough to cross but I wasn't sure where the trail went from there and how many logs I would have to cross to get up it. I will have to go back on a day when I have more time and maybe a wing man.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #3386
Squishy
Projector head.

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSRIDER View Post

I will have to go back on a day when I have more time and maybe a wing man.
Sounds sensable, those crossings look fairly deep & knobby. Where exactly is this trail?
White '03 XR4 ?, mine's red.
Have to hook up sometime.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #3387
FSRIDER
This guy rides a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
Sounds sensable, those crossings look fairly deep & knobby. Where exactly is this trail?
White '03 XR4 ?, mine's red.
Have to hook up sometime.
There was a better place to cross a little further back when the trail split. It wasn't quite so deep and smaller rocks.

Ya, I replaced the fenders when I bought the new tank. I like the white.

The trail is up past Sunset Falls camp ground by Yacolt. Its off FS 42 rd, you should come out and ride it with me sometime. It ends up at lookout mountain.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #3388
Squishy
Projector head.

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
The trail is up past Sunset Falls camp ground by Yacolt. Its off FS 42 rd, you should come out and ride it with me sometime. It ends up at lookout mountain.
I'll trailer out sometime soon, will PM you when i swing some time. Are you available through the week or wkds only for riding?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #3389
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
I'll trailer out sometime soon, will PM you when i swing some time. Are you available through the week or wkds only for riding?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #3390
FSRIDER
This guy rides a lot

I will try and give more notice next time. This was just kind of a last minute thing.