User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #1
steven1955 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Tablets for reading magazines and e-magazines

Recently divorced, selling my house, so I've downsized a lot already and will soon be downsizing more soon.

Last year I got rid of half of my books and got a Kindle Paperwhite. I love the hardware, but hate that e-books can cost as much or more than paperbacks, and not all of my now gone books are available as e-books. Project Gutenberg has helped a lot.

I am looking to get rid of my paper magazine subscriptions, and am starting the research to figure out how best to do this. There are two parts to this, buying a tablet, and getting subscriptions to "e" versions of my magazines. Some of you inmates must have done this already.

The hard problem: What's the best way to get e-magazine subscriptions? At first glance electrons will cost more than dead trees.

The easier although possibly expensive problem: I want a big tablet to mimic the size of magazines, and this would be used for reading and some web surfing. I think I want an Android tablet, but I'm not married to Android. (My computers are all Windows.) WiFi is mandatory, but I don't need a tablet on a cell phone plan.

Feel free to start your abuse. No, wait, this is not Jo momma. Start with the wisdom.
steven1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 39,318
It'll probably be cheaper than the regular subscription price BUT if you're one of the people who hold out waiting for them to offer the really cheap price to keep you on then you'll be paying more.

For tablets the big questions are what's your price range and do you want a ~7" model or ~10"?

A huge thing is also the quality of the screen, my tablet (Nook HD+) is a snail by today's standards with a 1.5 GHz dual core processor BUT it has a great screen which is key for reading/viewing photos.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
smoky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Since I retired and travel a lot, I do most of my reading on my iPad.

I subscribe to the Vancouver Sun, read it daily. I get R&T, C+D, Cycle Canada, and MCN online. Most mags are $20 year, more for MCN.

I download books from my local library.

I'm in MX for 10 weeks, and I'll read 25 library books while I'm here.

Sure beats carrying books, and finding book exchanges.

Battery life on an iPad isn't nearly as good as a book reader, but it does everything else better. OK, not as good in direct sunlight.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,739
Get a card for your public library. If you're in a town of moderate to substantial size, more and more libraries are "lending" e-magazines, and free.

I say "lending," because once you "check out" an e-magazine (at least at our public library here), it's on your tablet until you delete it.

Our public library lends e-magazines through Zinio. Currently, they have over 120 magazines, covering many topics and interests.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
steven1955 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
It'll probably be cheaper than the regular subscription price BUT if you're one of the people who hold out waiting for them to offer the really cheap price to keep you on then you'll be paying more.
I am one of those people who hold out waiting for them to offer a really cheap price. It looks like some magazines are still not available as an e-magazine, and those monthlies that are seem to cost $20 per year, a bit higher that the cheap price I normally hold out for.

There's at least one e-magazine seller (nextissue) that offers a lot of titles for 9.99 per month, meaning that one prices gives you all of their monthlies. No bike mags, and more money that I spend on all my magazines. But cheaper than the typical $20 per year per magazine. And there's Zinio, but I haven't figured out how their pricing works yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
For tablets the big questions are what's your price range and do you want a ~7" model or ~10"?
I want 10 inch or larger for my old eyes. Any feedback to which brands or models work best in bright light? Displays that are easier on the eyes than others? Or even battery life? I know nothing with color, which I think is needed for magazines, will have anywhere near the battery life of a Kindle or Nook with black and white e-ink.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
I still can't figure out what a tablet does better than a laptop or an e-reader. They're cool toys if you have the disposable income, but from a functionality POV, your phone, kindle, and pc should cover all the bases.

I still get a few paper magazines, I browse the website of any magazines I have interest in that I don't subscribe to, I got rid of any book I didn't expect to read in the next year (most of them), and I buy whatever 0.99 book happens to grab my interest for my kindle.

Sorry to hear about the divorce!
Old 01-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Check out ISSUU, http://issuu.com/explore , it is free and you can read a lot of magazines. Some are "previews" that only let you see the first few pages but others ate the whole magazine.
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
steven1955 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog
I still can't figure out what a tablet does better than a laptop or an e-reader. They're cool toys if you have the disposable income, but from a functionality POV, your phone, kindle, and pc should cover all the bases.
I usually read magazines in bed or on the throne where a laptop is a pain. A tablet is the right shape for this task, and the batteries last longer than my laptop.

My Kindle Paperwhite is a great replacement for books with it's high contrast black and white display, backlighting, and great battery life. I read for 30 to 60 minutes in bed most nights and seldom have to charge the battery more than every three weeks. But magazines have color, and any Kindle, or any Nook or that matter, with the e-ink is black and white only.

The color Kindles and Nooks are small tablets with battery typical of tablets. They also might be the right tablet for my purpose, but I think I'd be better off with an Android tablet.

I wouldn't even consider the switch to digital magazines but there's a high likelyhood that I'll be full timing in an rv. Regular mail service is out, and I'd rather not buy single magazines at news stands.

I figure that a tablet is the best tool for the job of reading magazines and surfing the web.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeybone View Post
Check out ISSUU, http://issuu.com/explore , it is free and you can read a lot of magazines. Some are "previews" that only let you see the first few pages but others ate the whole magazine.
Great find, thanks!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:01 AM   #10
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post
When Apple came out with the iPad however many years ago it was, I said the exact same thing. I mean really how stupid is it to spend that much money on something that doesn't do half as much as a laptop of a similar price?

Then I bought one.

Different tools for different jobs.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and for just reading, it's the absolute best experience you can have with an e-reader.

You might say that a tablet is a toy, but it's only a toy for someone who doesn't know how to use one or doesn't need to use one. For me it is a tool, and a valuable one at that. It goes with me to about every meeting for minutes, pdf's, and note taking. It gets used as a control interface for my audio mixer. Next week when I take off for India, it will be my only communication device for email. It will also serve as my video and photo editor, my journal and blogging tool, and entertainment during a couple 15 hour flights.

True, I could do all that with my laptop. If I wanted something that weighed twice as much, needed plugged in every 3-4 hours, and was more bulky.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:20 AM   #11
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 4,247
[QUOTE=KungPaoDog;25958183]I still can't figure out what a tablet does better than a laptop or an e-reader. They're cool toys if you have the disposable income, but from a functionality POV, your phone, kindle, and pc should cover all the bases.QUOTE]

We have 3 tablets and I got a new one this past Christmas. Since owning them about 3 years now, the PC hasn't been turned on and the laptop hasn't been on in a couple years.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!

Maggot12 screwed with this post 01-19-2015 at 11:59 AM
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
steven1955 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, now let's just say that a tablet is a good tool for the job.

Does anyone have any particular recommendation for a larger tablet, say 10 inches or larger. It would be mostly for reading digital media, and some web surfing. I don't know if I'd even use it much for watching video, but the right tablet might sway me.

I should mention that I haven't drunk the Apple Cool-Aid. I'm leaning toward Android devices but will listen to what you folks might say.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #13
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 4,247
Samsung tab Pro here, 10".

I have a case with a built in bluetooth keyboard that i sometimes use if going to be typing a while. Otherwise, everything is done on the tablet.

And you don't have to type at all, it has voice recognition and it'll type as you speak. Little tougher for me with the heavy Newfoundland accent though..

A feature I like is if I'm looking at some place or address on a map, then turn my phone nav on, the phone will recognize the place I was looking on the tablet and put in "recently viewed" locations.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,744
All Apple here. Yes, they're expensive. Yes, their proprietary. No, they don't have an SD slot. But, damn, they just work. Unless you jump in on an OS upgrade the day it's first offered. Then you might be screwed for a day or two. But we're all Apple here (iPhones, iMac, MBPro) so it makes sense for us.

My employee has a Fire HD and for mainly media consumption, I think they might be hard to beat for the money.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1955 View Post
OK, now let's just say that a tablet is a good tool for the job.

Does anyone have any particular recommendation for a larger tablet, say 10 inches or larger. It would be mostly for reading digital media, and some web surfing. I don't know if I'd even use it much for watching video, but the right tablet might sway me.

I should mention that I haven't drunk the Apple Cool-Aid. I'm leaning toward Android devices but will listen to what you folks might say.
for those tasks, pretty much any tablet will do.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: